The inevitable FALL of VANCOUVER real Estate

daddywarbucks

May 16, 2002
seattle
Facts are Facts

As a retired US Real Estate Broker, I have been through many market swings. During the late 80's many Real Estate Agents had a sign above their desk that read: "Please lord let there be another real estate boom, and I promise this time I will not blow it all".

There has never been a time when the Real Estate Market has persevered when the median family income wouldn't buy the median priced home.

Just south of you, King County has just had the first price drop in over 30 years. The reason, it would take an income of 50% more than the median income to buy the median priced home.

You can also forecast with some certainty, that the market has neared its peak when it becomes frothy. One of the main indicators is "flipping". That is buying a presale condo with no thought of ever living in it, but "flipping" it to a new buyer prior to completion.

However, the old adage "Time cures all Real Estate ills" is also correct if you can hold on through a hard time. True, that will only happen when inflation kicks in, but it will happen.

Been up, been Down, been there, Did That.

DWB

CJ Tylers

Retired Sr. Member
Jan 3, 2003
North Vancouver
Well DWB, as you can see, a median income in Vacouver can't afford a "median" home... well, maybe with a 0% down, 50+ year mortgage they can.

The truth of the matter is, if you ever really hope to own a home (and not just rent an expensive home from a stata council), you need to own something already. People just starting out can't even afford condo prices these days... now it's the people with 2 good incomes and plans of children who are well established in their earnings looking at condos, whereas before they would've been looking at semi detatched or detatched homes.

DavidLin

Nov 18, 2004
Actually I thought that there are several types of immigrants coming over here and buying up properties just for their families. Now we have many Koreans, Filipinos, Persians, Iranians and other Muslims coming here to Vancouver and buying up property in addition to all the Chinese and East Indians that already do so.

Also doesn't BC have the biggest drug industry in the world? Is it possible these guys are fueling the Real Estate industry with all the money they have?
Regardless of what immigrants are coming, chinese, muslims, iranians, etc.. The BC statistics Canada numbers show that there aren't as many of them coming as we have been led to believe. Please refer to the above posts regarding the numbers in terms of BC population growth.

The drug industry is a cash business, you have to have legitimate income in order to purchase a home. Sure you can try to buy the place out with cash but I can bet revenue canada will be knocking on your door the day you move in. Yes you can launder your money for about a 10% charge but seriously, there are a lot of better things people in the drug trade can invest in other than real estate that will give them a better return than a lot of other people can only dream of.

Hoops

Jul 17, 2005
Actually, drug revenue is used to buy 'legit' businesses which launder huge $, then the $ are often used to buy houses under the names of any and all involved.
Yes, even in this peak market.

DavidLin

Nov 18, 2004
omg Hoops, are you a drug dealer?? lol, be that as it may, I am willing to bet that the claim that vancouver real estate prices are being held high because of drug dealers has a lot more holes in it than saying vancouver real estate is held high because of rich immigrants. You think we are the only city with drug dealers? I bet you a city like LA with many times our population (thus more addicts) has more rich drug dealers than we do and the drug dealers there didn't save their housing market.

dittman

Jan 22, 2003
seattle
there is a huge misunderstanding up north about this so called real estate crash here in the states. i like most of my friends refinanced over the last 3 years i got one of the higher rates and that was about a year and a half ago and i got in at 5.7% 30 year fixed. lowered my mortgage plus got some cash back. remember the number that i have heard is that 6% of home owners is in default which means 94% are not. Black monday was a crash where bill gates lost millions in one day, my home has lost 5k in value in the last year on a 350k+ house, that is not a crash besides i wasnt planning on selling anyway so i am still smiling all the way to the bank. It is a buyers market though but that is bacause of the amount of houses on the market.

Hoops

Jul 17, 2005
omg Hoops, are you a drug dealer?? lol, be that as it may, I am willing to bet that the claim that vancouver real estate prices are being held high because of drug dealers has a lot more holes in it than saying vancouver real estate is held high because of rich immigrants. You think we are the only city with drug dealers? I bet you a city like LA with many times our population (thus more addicts) has more rich drug dealers than we do and the drug dealers there didn't save their housing market.
If I was a drug dealer I'd poon more and at a higher price range. lol
I'm not claiming that drug dealers are affecting the market in a major way, just retelling some anecdotal inside info that I've heard.

threepeat

Sep 20, 2004
Edmonton
there is a huge misunderstanding up north about this so called real estate crash here in the states. i like most of my friends refinanced over the last 3 years i got one of the higher rates and that was about a year and a half ago and i got in at 5.7% 30 year fixed. lowered my mortgage plus got some cash back. remember the number that i have heard is that 6% of home owners is in default which means 94% are not. Black monday was a crash where bill gates lost millions in one day, my home has lost 5k in value in the last year on a 350k+ house, that is not a crash besides i wasnt planning on selling anyway so i am still smiling all the way to the bank. It is a buyers market though but that is bacause of the amount of houses on the market.
Yes, but the $5K loss on a $350 000 house is measuring US dollars to US dollars. If you factor in the US Dollar Index:

it has been more like a 10% haircut since August.

Last edited:

dittman

Jan 22, 2003
seattle
I understand what your saying threepeat, but where i disagree with you is that the value of my home is based on the local market, the strength or weakness of the dollar doesnt come into tplay. except with maybe newhomes. the only time it would come into play is if i sold it and say move to thailand, the dollar has lost about 9 baht to the dollar so my 350k wouldnt be worth 350k.

jimbo2006

Jun 12, 2006
hey davidlin, you bring up some valid points, but your previous calculations about the rent vs buy scenario drew a chuckle or two from me. so you mean, for example, for all the people who bought a downtown condo between 2002-2004 they would've been better off renting than buying??? :confused:

reading between the lines, I guess you're predicting that if we're at or near the peak of the market now, then looking forward a few more years, renting might be the better way to go? yeah I guess that's what you're trying to say even though you can't broadbrush everyone with the same stroke..after all, an investor can still come out cash flow positive in a d/t condo if he puts down > 50% of the purchase price, right? :rolleyes:

I saw a similar statistic about there being a net increase of 50,000 people in the province during the past year and assuming half moved to greater van is a pretty safe bet..where else would they all move to - prince george??? lol they don't have to be immigrants..they can be people moving from other provinces as well.

Btw, you might wanna re-do your calculations, as I don't know many people who actually borrow at the posted rates, and like I said in a previous post, there are many who like to play the variable rate game :cool:

Last edited:

jimbo2006

Jun 12, 2006
you don't have to be a dealer or be directly involved to know that kind of stuff..after all, they too need the professional advisers inorder to get the transactions complete..such as the business brokers, realtors, investment advisers, accountants, etc. ;)

ThighMan

It's in the name
Jan 19, 2005
Everywhere
Learn to read before you post. If you check out the graph that was posted earlier in this thread you will notice that there were indeed corrections.
Lets say in 5 years time, the market finally does a 20% correction like those that occurred in the late 80's and 90's.
There was no correction in the late 80s. The correction was in the early 80s and was mostly due to the high (12% - 20%) interest rates.
Perhaps you should learn to read a graph before you post. Here, I will post your own graph again for your benifit. How about looking at it this time before you spout off.

http://jaybanks.ca/vancouverrealestate/vancouver-real-estate-prices-200607-400.gif

As the graph clearly shows and I stated in my previous response, the correcting occured in the early 80s, 1981 & 1982 to be exact. Last time I checked that was early 80s, not late-80s. By mid-82, the market was essentially flat and continued so until early to mid 86 (remember Expo?) when it started to pick up again. As I and others have stated (and most real estate experts), this correction in 81-82 was almost entirely due to extremely high interest rates. People were literally walking away from their properties.
Further more, in 1979 prior to the start of the massive appreciation in real estate prices, the interest rate was already sitting at 14%.
True, but interets rates peaked over 20% prior to the correction so I stand on my previous statement.

The next significant correction occured in 1990. Again, last time I checked, 1990 was not the late 80s. This correction was short lived and lasted less than 2 years before prices started to increase again. This short-term drop was primarily due to profit taking by investors and a temporary reduction in off-shore investment following the post-Expo boom.

The final significant correction on the graph you referenced started in 95 and lasted through 98. As I stated previously, this dip was entirely due to the "leaky condo crisis".

As long as interest rates stay low <6%, there will be no significant correction. The market may flatten or perhaps even drop by up to 5%, but in the long run it will go up again.
The prime rate of the BOC right now is 6.25% and the Chartered bank administered interest rate is at 7.39%. Check for your self.
I did. The 6.25% is the Business Prime Rate, also known as the Chartered Bank Prime Rate. If you check on the website of any of the major Canadian Chartered Banks (CIBC, BMO, RBC, etc.) you will find this to be their posted prime rate. The 7.39% is the average 5-year conventional mortgage rate posted by the Bank of Canada. Anyone who gets a mortgage at that rate is a fool. With a little bit of negotiation, anyone with decent credit can get a mortgage at ½% to 1% below the 6¼% Chartered Bank Prime. Once again, you may want to take the time to read and understand the information you are quoting before you spout off.

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/rates/digest.html

One must keep in mind that Metro Vancouver has a limited amount of land and cannot sprawl like Seattle, Calgary, Toronto and other similar cities. It is a confined metropolitan area, more like San Fransico, New York, Montreal and many European cities.
As for Vancouver running out of land, if you had read the beginning post and some of the more recent posts, you will find that we discussed that already and it is a fact that realtors in the 80's said the same damn thing and somehow we are still building condos in 2007.
Why do you think that most of the current contruction is condos and town homes? Because the available land for building single detatched houses is limited. Most of the current condos and town homes are buing built on property that was single detatched homes, not on new vacant land.

Also, if we are truly being flooded by this massive population increase, why did we only experience an increase of 1.2% in population growth last year? I believe our death rate is higher than that.
Thus, your 1.2% increase represents a net 50,000 additional people in BC, half of whom are settling in Metro Vancouver. That is 25,000 new people looking for houses, condos, apartments or whatever. If you think that that has no impact on the housing market, then you are greatly mistaken.
I had no idea that half of all our population increases in BC are moving into metro vancouver, where did you get that figure from? Are you just thinking up numbers out of thin air?
Which of course just further shows your ignorance. If you did a little bit of research before spouting off, you would see that the data given out by StatsCan for the 2006 census, shows that from 2001 to 2006 Metro Vancouver's population growth represented 63% of the total population growth in BC. So, sorry if my 50% number was a little low.

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/cen...earchType=Contains&SearchPR=59&B1=All&Custom=

All said, I stand by my previous statement:

The market may flatten or perhaps even drop by up to 5%, but in the long run it will go up again.

Hedonist7

Indecent Member

dittman

Jan 22, 2003
seattle
dont think this has much to do with anything but an interesting stat that i came across today is that americans have 10 trillion dollars in mortgage debt, but the total amount of equity is 21 trillion.

claymotion

master of useless wit
May 22, 2007
a young perspective

hey guys

I dont know all your ages, but as a young person in this market I can tell you from experience that renting IS NOT the way to go. the sad fact (yet light at the end of the tunnel) is that with current education costs, and the professional shortages, most young people will not get into their own place unless they get help from family.... here comes the good part for the market....

baby boomers bought cheap and stuck in there.... my generation is set to inherit over 4 billion dollars in the us alone.... thats a lot of real estate that has been sitting dormant for years. you have young families who have been renting suddenly inheriting paid off houses. .... this makes the market for new homes great, because they definitly do not want to move back into their parents house.

good thing I can just build my own house and make a killing off of chumps with student loans....:p had to throw that in there.

DavidLin

Nov 18, 2004
As the graph clearly shows and I stated in my previous response, the correcting occured in the early 80s, 1981 & 1982 to be exact. Last time I checked that was early 80s, not late-80s. By mid-82, the market was essentially flat and continued so until early to mid 86 (remember Expo?) when it started to pick up again. As I and others have stated (and most real estate experts), this correction in 81-82 was almost entirely due to extremely high interest rates. People were literally walking away from their properties.
There are people literally walking away from their properties in the USA too. Sure we supposedly don't have as many subprime mortgages and whatnots but according to the article from REMAX stating that at least 50% of DT condo buyers are speculators would suggest a good portion of those investors are not gonna want to put too much money down if their sole purpose is to flip presales.

True, but interets rates peaked over 20% prior to the correction so I stand on my previous statement.
It looks like interest rates peaked at 18.5 percent according to this graph. 14% low to 18.5% high, I'd hate to face either interest rate in todays standards but comparatively atleast in ratio wise, they aren't that huge of a difference.

http://www.mississauga4sale.com/rates.jpg

The next significant correction occured in 1990. Again, last time I checked, 1990 was not the late 80s. This correction was short lived and lasted less than 2 years before prices started to increase again. This short-term drop was primarily due to profit taking by investors and a temporary reduction in off-shore investment following the post-Expo boom.
From what it looks like on the graph is that in 1987 or so the market started picking up in the post expo boom. Reached a peak in early 1989 and fell till the mid 1990's. You can downplay this if you would like but from peak to trough was approximately a 20+% correction (300,000 peak, 230,000 bottom)and thats nothing to laugh at if you were a sucker that bought at the top and had to sit on it for almost 2 years not knowing when that property is going to go back up. Much of this market is psychologically driven and if you were a novice speculator that overstretched yourself thinking the market was going to keep going up, 2 years is a pretty longtime to wait. That is with hindsight too, imagine if you did not have this foreknowledge and have been waiting for a year already and all you see in the headlines is "real estate still falling" and your paying this vacuum mortgage sucking your finances dry, you'd probably want to cut your losses too.

The final significant correction on the graph you referenced started in 95 and lasted through 98. As I stated previously, this dip was entirely due to the "leaky condo crisis".
Some people say it was the leaky condo crisis, some people say it was the HK chinese leaving vancouver to immigrate back to HK after they found out the China takeover was safe for their finances. I'm sure real estate "experts" will think up a whole whack of reasons that may or may not make sense. Fact of the matter is, any expert that has a vested interest in pounding away at public psychology to get a market to rise and a vested interest to cover their asses after it falls is going to be biased. It still doesn't change the fact that we had a boom and a bust. So far, according to that graph we had 3 booms/busts (my definition being a quick rise in prices and a equally quick drop in prices that is 20% or greater from peak to trough).

I did. The 6.25% is the Business Prime Rate, also known as the Chartered Bank Prime Rate. If you check on the website of any of the major Canadian Chartered Banks (CIBC, BMO, RBC, etc.) you will find this to be their posted prime rate. The 7.39% is the average 5-year conventional mortgage rate posted by the Bank of Canada. Anyone who gets a mortgage at that rate is a fool. With a little bit of negotiation, anyone with decent credit can get a mortgage at ½% to 1% below the 6¼% Chartered Bank Prime. Once again, you may want to take the time to read and understand the information you are quoting before you spout off.
Any moron would know you can get a lower rate than the official rates at BoC, I was assuming that since you talked about the ultra high interest rates of the 80's in the context of the official rates, then you were also talking in the same context when you referred to todays rates. Either way, the US housing market fell when the Federal reserve offical rate was 6.5%, so considering that US citizens tend to have a higher income than us on average, it would be atleast somewhat safe to begin worrying that 6.25 is getting dangerous for Canadian debt load.

Which of course just further shows your ignorance. If you did a little bit of research before spouting off, you would see that the data given out by StatsCan for the 2006 census, shows that from 2001 to 2006 Metro Vancouver's population growth represented 63% of the total population growth in BC. So, sorry if my 50% number was a little low.
Fine, I stand corrected on this point, I still stand by the fact that 63% of 1.2% increase in population does not justify an almost 200% increase in housing prices.

The market may flatten or perhaps even drop by up to 5%, but in the long run it will go up again.
This we have yet to see. I would point out that Los Angeles, Boston, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, Washington, Las Vegas, Tampa, Phoenix, New York, Portland, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Cleveland, Detroit, CALGARY and many other cities have dropped beyond 5% in prices in a very short time. People can believe that Vancouver is different but history has a tendency of repeating itself and we have had our fair share of booms and busts in real estate. Since this is the biggest rise in housing prices in the history of North America, it would seem to be wishful thinking that somehow a big correction can hit so many cities but miss Vancouver.

http://bigpicture.typepad.com/comments/2007/10/a-tale-of-20-ci.html

ThighMan

It's in the name
Jan 19, 2005
Everywhere
I would point out that Los Angeles, Boston, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, Washington, Las Vegas, Tampa, Phoenix, New York, Portland, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Cleveland, Detroit, CALGARY and many other cities have dropped beyond 5% in prices in a very short time.
Based on the graph from the link you posted, I would have to disagree with part of your statement. The graph indicates that the prices in Seattle, Portland, Denver, Dallas, Charolette and Atlanta have not dropped. At worst they have leveled out and in some cases they are continuing to rise.

Even if the market drops the 10% - 20% that you are suggesting, the average home buyer will not be effected if they DON'T sell their house. Historically, the market always recovers and surpases the previous high in 2 - 4 years. Interest rates are going to remain low and few homeowners will be paying outlandish interest rates. The rate for 3 - 5 year fixed mortgages 3 - 4 years ago was in the 4½%-6% range. Most people can get a floating rate mortgage today at 5½%-6½%. Also, with interest rate stable, it is better to get a floating rate mortgage than a higher fixed rate mortgage. So, I do not see people "walking away from their properties" like they did in the early 80s.

Also, in order for prices to significantly drop, there has to be a large glut of properties on the market. So far this hasn't happened in Vancouver and the ratio of listings to buyers is still at near record low levels. (I am going from memory here based on articles I have recently read). As I mentioned above, I do not expect a large number of current homeowners to be in a position where they will be forced to sell because they cannot afford the mortgage. Thus, this leaves the real estate investors as the only source for the high number of listings that would be required in order to create a large price drop. Since all investors are in the market to make money, why would they suddenly dump their properties and face a loss?

Sorry, but I do not see the 20% price drop happening because there are no significant outside factors to trigger it. The "sub-prime" mortgage crisis is a function of the US banking and mortgage system and while it has effected the Canadian economy, it has not occured in Canada. Keep in mind that the Canadian banking system is structured and controlled much differently that the US system.

This we have yet to see. People can believe that Vancouver is different but history has a tendency of repeating itself and we have had our fair share of booms and busts in real estate. Since this is the biggest rise in housing prices in the history of North America, it would seem to be wishful thinking that somehow a big correction can hit so many cities but miss Vancouver.
In this case not only is Vancouver different but Canada is different. The "sub-prime" crisis has not occured in Canada to any significant degree and it will not occur due to the differences in the Canadian banking and mortgage systems.

P.S. Sorry for the somewhat derogitory comments in my earlier post. I was a little peeved at the suggestion that my information was fictitious and not based on any research.

DavidLin

Nov 18, 2004
Based on the graph from the link you posted, I would have to disagree with part of your statement. The graph indicates that the prices in Seattle, Portland, Denver, Dallas, Charolette and Atlanta have not dropped. At worst they have leveled out and in some cases they are continuing to rise.
You failed to point out that these are also the cities that were least affected by the US housing bubble, with the exception of Portland and Seattle. Some were not really affected at all, . I couldn't find any news about Portland but below is some transcript from a Seattle blog talking about the state of Seattle real estate.

"Seattle real estate market slowing
According to a recent article in the Seattle PI, the real estate market there has slowed.
The story, written by Aubrey Cohen said, "These days, it would take twice as long to sell the current number of homes on the market in Seattle and King County as a whole at their current sales paces than it would have a year ago.
"Seattle had 50 percent more homes on the market in September than a year earlier, while the countywide increase was nearly as large.
"Pending sales, which can be the best indicator of recent market activity, declined by more than 25 percent in Seattle and 30 percent countywide." "

Even if the market drops the 10% - 20% that you are suggesting, the average home buyer will not be effected if they DON'T sell their house. Historically, the market always recovers and surpases the previous high in 2 - 4 years. Interest rates are going to remain low and few homeowners will be paying outlandish interest rates. The rate for 3 - 5 year fixed mortgages 3 - 4 years ago was in the 4½%-6% range. Most people can get a floating rate mortgage today at 5½%-6½%. Also, with interest rate stable, it is better to get a floating rate mortgage than a higher fixed rate mortgage. So, I do not see people "walking away from their properties" like they did in the early 80s.
That depends on who is buying. For the person buying to live in the home, sure, its probably not a big problem to sit on it for 2-4 years. For the person who is buying as a speculator/investor, sitting on a depreciating asset for 2-4 years is probably not gonna be a fun ride, especially if he/she is overextended. Since these speculators/investors comprise 50% of the buying force (as stated by the REMAX article), it is safe to assume that atleast some of them will be overextended. Keep in mind that officially, the "experts" in the US blamed their housing crash on 20% of mortgages being subprime. I would say anyone who had to do some creative mortgages like opening a credit line to use as a down payment / Having daddy and mommy cosign the property / putting 0 down on a variable rate mortgage is pretty darn close to subprime territory. I personally know two moronic friends that have done 1 or 2 of the above that I just listed to buy a property to hold and flip. There were plenty of news articles in the Sun and Province these past 2 years that talked about how people were doing creative mortgages in order to afford a house in fear of being lol, "priced out".

Thus, this leaves the real estate investors as the only source for the high number of listings that would be required in order to create a large price drop. Since all investors are in the market to make money, why would they suddenly dump their properties and face a loss?
Please see above paragraph.

Sorry, but I do not see the 20% price drop happening because there are no significant outside factors to trigger it. The "sub-prime" mortgage crisis is a function of the US banking and mortgage system and while it has effected the Canadian economy, it has not occured in Canada. Keep in mind that the Canadian banking system is structured and controlled much differently that the US system.
Yes, the Canadian banking system is structured and controlled differently than the US system, but there are plenty of news articles lately detailing Canadian bank losses due to US subprime fallout that would suggest that we are being affected nonetheless. Keep in mind that this is only the tip of the iceburg for the US subprime mess and Canadian banks have already lost many billions, I'd hate to know what the recourse is going to be in 2008 when the bigger chunk of US subprime mortgages reset and people default.

ThighMan

It's in the name
Jan 19, 2005
Everywhere
I would point out that Los Angeles, Boston, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, Miami, Washington, Las Vegas, Tampa, Phoenix, New York, Portland, Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Cleveland, Detroit, CALGARY and many other cities have dropped beyond 5% in prices in a very short time.
You failed to point out that these are also the cities that were least affected by the US housing bubble, with the exception of Portland and Seattle. Some were not really affected at all.
I am having trouble following your arguement here. First you are saying that all of the cities above "have dropped beyond 5% in prices in a very short time" and now you are saying that "Some were not really affected at all." Which is it, either they have dropped or they have not. The graph says they have not. Also, whether or not they experience a large increase is irrellevent, you stated they ALL had dropped beyond 5% and they have not.

I couldn't find any news about Portland but below is some transcript from a Seattle blog talking about the state of Seattle real estate.
Seattle real estate market slowing
According to a recent article in the Seattle PI, the real estate market there has slowed.
The story, written by Aubrey Cohen said, "These days, it would take twice as long to sell the current number of homes on the market in Seattle and King County as a whole at their current sales paces than it would have a year ago.
"Seattle had 50 percent more homes on the market in September than a year earlier, while the countywide increase was nearly as large.
"Pending sales, which can be the best indicator of recent market activity, declined by more than 25 percent in Seattle and 30 percent countywide."
Stating that the market has slowed, does not mean that the prices have dropped, I just means that the activity level has been reduced. So far Seattle has not seen a drop in housing prices, just a leveling of prices and a slowing of sales.

For the person who is buying as a speculator/investor, sitting on a depreciating asset for 2-4 years is probably not gonna be a fun ride, especially if he/she is overextended. Since these speculators/investors comprise 50% of the buying force (as stated by the REMAX article), it is safe to assume that atleast some of them will be overextended.
If they were not overextended 6 months ago, why should they be overextended today or six months from now? Interest rates have not changed significantly in the past 6 months and most likely will not be increasing in the near future.

Keep in mind that officially, the "experts" in the US blamed their housing crash on 20% of mortgages being subprime. I would say anyone who had to do some creative mortgages like opening a credit line to use as a down payment / Having daddy and mommy cosign the property / putting 0 down on a variable rate mortgage is pretty darn close to subprime territory.
If you are implying that 40% of the real estate investors in Vancouver effectively have sub-prime mortgages (50% x 40% = 20%) I would have to disagree. As far as the "creative mortgages" you have suggested above, as I stated above, if they could afford it 6 months ago, they can afford it now and they will be able to afford it 6 months from now. As for putting 0 down on a variable rate mortgage, the banks have not allow it. CMHC only recently lowered the level from 5% to 0% (less than a month ago I think). Also, CMHC is only available to home owners primary residence. It cannot be obtained on investment properties. However, regardless of how much someone put down on a variable rate mortgage, by its nature, a variable rate mortgage resets the interest rate every month. Therefore, any increase in interest payments have been gradual and if the investor could afford it 6 months ago, they can afford it today and will be able to afford it 6 months from now.

The nature of the "sub-prime crisis" in the US is a lot of mortgage that were LOCKED IN a interest rates significantly below the current US mortgage rates and are now coming up for renewal. This has not happened in Canada to any significant extent, as I stated in my previous post.
Interest rates are going to remain low and few homeowners will be paying outlandish interest rates. The rate for 3 - 5 year fixed mortgages 3 - 4 years ago was in the 4½%-6% range. Most people can get a floating rate mortgage today at 5½%-6½%. Also, with interest rate stable, it is better to get a floating rate mortgage than a higher fixed rate mortgage.
I personally know two moronic friends that have done 1 or 2 of the above that I just listed to buy a property to hold and flip.
I am sure many of us know a few people who fit in that catagory, but they do not make the bulk of the investment market and a few "morons" are not going to crash the real estate market.

DavidLin

Nov 18, 2004
I am having trouble following your arguement here. First you are saying that all of the cities above "have dropped beyond 5% in prices in a very short time" and now you are saying that "Some were not really affected at all." Which is it, either they have dropped or they have not. The graph says they have not. Also, whether or not they experience a large increase is irrellevent, you stated they ALL had dropped beyond 5% and they have not.
I was overwhelmed by the colors and their general downward direction. Perhaps I overstated, so I will correct myself at 13/20 of those cities listed in the graph have experienced a drop, 1 is sitting at growing inventory and flattened prices, 1 I'm not sure about, does this satisfy your inquisition Thighman? I liken this debate with you much like a sinking ship where one shipmate (me) is pointing out the ship in general is sinking but the other shipmate (you) is pointing out that the area that your standing on is fine.

Stating that the market has slowed, does not mean that the prices have dropped, I just means that the activity level has been reduced. So far Seattle has not seen a drop in housing prices, just a leveling of prices and a slowing of sales.
Sure, Los Angeles was in that process too for a long time and it held out till just a few months ago before the prices started to come down. Real estate prices go up and down like a slow motion train wreck, things don't go bust overnight. Sales tend to lag activity by at least a few months. If you have a situation where you have growing inventory and flattening sales, you can begin betting that a price drop may be coming.

Ashley Madison
Vancouver Escorts