Asian Fever
Ashley Madison

Question - Gonorrhea/chlamydia test – procedural failure

JohnT

Apr 8, 2007
Dear Health Nurse,

I went for the above test but in error urinated approximately 30 minutes before test time. How accurate do think the results may be and do you think a retest is required?

Thanks,

JT

Health Nurse

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2004
Dear Health Nurse,

I went for the above test but in error urinated approximately 30 minutes before test time. How accurate do think the results may be and do you think a retest is required?

Thanks,

JT

Hi JohnT

We have been using a new urine test at the clinic and the manufacture states that “the patient should not have urinated for at least one hour prior to sampling”

It is hard to know how accurate the results would be at 30 mins as they give no details for this.

In regard to retesting I think it depends on why you were tested. If you just went in for a general screen and not concerned about any risk would be different when compared to a certain situation you are concerned about or if you have other sexual partners that could be at risk.

HN
www.healthnurse.wordpress.com
www.stiresource.com
www.bccdc.ca

Health Nurse

Supporting Member
Nov 24, 2004
Hi HN,

I had gonorrhea type symptoms, irritation that turned to painful urination and a mild discharge from the penis. The pain experienced during urination was limited to the urinary tract of the penis and progressively got more painful. This has about two weeks after a few BBBJ"s from multiple SP's. symptoms identified mid week and I was at the Drs office by Friday.

On Friday I had completed both a swab sample and a urine test. I had urinated about an hour before my exam had completed the lab work immediately after the medical examination. It was told that the urine tests are VERY accurate.

I got my results today - after continued symptoms over the weekend. THE RESULTS WERE NEGATIVE for both Gonorrhea and Chlamydia.
My doctor still treated me for the symptoms with 10 days of DOXYCYYCLINE . he explained that these were unexplained urinary tract infections - the symptoms of which were exactly those of the STI/STD. im hoping that the antibiotics will do the trick.

In cases that are "undefined" or not determined as an STI/STD .. are there risks of passing this on to others?
I am single and am at no risk of sharing this with anyone. I wouldn't wish it on anyone - this is from BBBJ. I have not had vaginal intercourse in a long time so I can limit my potential exposures.

If its not an STD .. than what is it?

Thanks

Hi Yippheus

I don’t know your full medical history but from what you described it sounds like you were diagnosed with NGU (non gonococcal urethritis). This means that you have urethritis (inflammation of your urethra or pee tube), symptoms people can get from this are things like it hurts when you pee, discharge from the penis, an itching or awareness of the urethra. NGU just means that this urethritis is not caused by gonorrhea or chlamydia. They currently believe that the majority of NGU in young men is usually from something that was passed from sex.

A few things that can cause NGU are Mycoplasma genitalium, Trichomonas vaginalis, Ureaplasma urealyticum, Adenovirus and herpes simplex virus. These things are not tested for when people come for STI check ups.

There have been a number of research studies that have looked at what can cause NGU in one recent study they found that Mycoplasma was responsible for 12.5% of cases and Ureaplasma responsible for 24% of cases but in 49% of cases no pathogen was detected. Given this it is important to review each person’s situation on a case by case basis.

In regard to your situation Yippheus, with the symptoms you described and how soon it developed after a BBBJ I would say that the most likely cause is from something that was passed to you from sex. It was good that the doctor also gave you some antibiotics. If your symptoms started to get better after taking the antibiotics it would indicate that it probably was a bacteria like Mycoplasma or Ureaplasma that was causing the problem. If your symptoms are not getting better or getting worse I would recommend seeing your doctor again.

When it looks like NGU has been passed from sex we usually recommend that people let sexual partners (last 60 days) know so that they can go for testing and treatment as well. This is because organisms responsible for this may reside in the throat, vagina or rectum of sexual partners and may not be detectable with testing.

I know that it can be hard letting sexual partners know for a number of reasons. I usually let people know that from my experience people don’t like to pass things to people and that in the majority of times people are unaware there could be a problem because they are feeling no symptoms.

One service that can help let sexual partners know is from inspot.org. It is an anonymous e-card service to let people know about STI, it even lists NGU. Here is a link for more information on the service.
http://www.bccdc.ca/SexualHealth/Programs/Inspot/default.htm

HN
www.healthnurse.wordpress.com
www.stiresource.com
www.bccdc.ca