Van Islands Finest
Jerkmate

Poll on sexual habits after contracting an STD

After contracting an STD, what would you do?

• As an sp or hobbyist would you continue on as normal, including the BB activities?

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Would you tell the sp/hobbyist that you have an STD and caution to use all forms of protection?

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Would you be silent yourself and just use all forms of protection?

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Would you quit all together and not be an sp or pooner?

Votes: 10 34.5%
  • Couldn’t care less.

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters

Poseidon

Mr. Controversy
Jul 21, 2003
Your place or mine?
With so many members concerned about safety, I just wanted to take a poll on how many of you would continue your sexual habits after contracting or knowing you have an STD? Of course you can vote and not comment for anonymity.

rickoshadows

Just another member!
May 11, 2002
Vancouver Island
How about: "Get yourself looked after and then carry on as normal." ?

rickoshadows

Poseidon

Mr. Controversy
Jul 21, 2003
Your place or mine?
Hey RIck,

Of course most people would continue on as normal if they are cured. But giving a scenario where a person is not cured is a different circumstance

Groo39

Aug 21, 2003
SP wasteland: SK
Presuming it's curable, do so, and let any SPs you've been in contact know about the issue. Take a sabatical from the hobby until you test clean.

If it's not curable, let any SPs you've been in contact know and leave the hobby.

In other words, no different than if you caught an STD in "regular" life.

The closest I've come in real life was some weird stubborn skin infection that took 4 weeks of anti-virals, anti-biotics, and weekly sessions of nitrogen-freeze to kill off. It was annoying, rather painful to treat, and happened about seven years ago.

Back then everything I did was covered, despite the hassle. As that level of paranoia still didn't result in 100% safety, I now settle for a more "entertaining" balance. The only extra "risk" with the SP involved was that she was provided by a cheaper agency.

As I'm not about to declare celibacy, I actually feel safer spending my time with higher end SPs ($220+) than I would with women from the general population. Too many "normal" women have been willing to take far greater chances than SPs, so the only change I've made is to completely drop one night stands and short term relationships from my lifestyle. Strictly SPs and long-term relationships in my bed since then.

lynne

booster
Jul 21, 2003
Edmonton
Agreed.... "Erikrauda" I hope you are just displaying a crude sense of humor and aren't really spreading your "charm" around.

The toughest and most important part of any STI, curable or not, is communication about it to a sex partner. I know first hand how hard it is to discuss, but the respect that follows an open disclosure is worth the risk. Your partner may choose to incur the risk, take precautions and sleep with you anyway, or not, but you have put the choice in their hands about their personal health rather than assume that responsibility yourself.

Massagegirl

Banned
Mar 25, 2003
Victim shmictim

In most cases it's true that nobody can victimize you without your permission. A lot of people put themselves in danger then cry foul afterwards. IMHO if you don't fight with everything you've got then you are not a victim, you're a pushover. The women that had unprotected sex and got HIV are dumbasses, not victims.

A real victim is someone who worked in the WTC on September 11 and was not given a chance.

It's not really such a murky issue is it?

lynne

booster
Jul 21, 2003
Edmonton
Perhaps she/he just got caught up in the heat of the moment and lost her/his head.... does that make that person a victim or just a lusty, fallable human like the rest of us?
Have none of you ever done something without thinking only to regret it later??? Judgement helps no-one and only perpetuates the egoist's false self perception that he/she is a greater specimen of the human race than others. We are all one, folks. Just humans doing the best we can with what we got and if Darwin's theories of survival come into play at all, it is the privilege of education that seperates those who thrive from those who struggle. Try to be compassionate... that is one of our greatest human traits.

lynne

booster
Jul 21, 2003
Edmonton
Thanks beauty.... love ya too. Where you been sista?

This thread has been an interesting study in human behavior.... thankfully I choose to exist with my all my pals in my bubble of tolerence and acceptance. Glad you are there with me!

Come share some happiness with me soon....

Groo39

Aug 21, 2003
Erikrauda said:
Take another hit from the bong.
Now that was an insightful and helpful comment. I feel enlightened and encouraged by that helpful suggestion, particularly as it comes from the man with the bad "jokes" about intentionally spreading STDs.

OTOH, who knows what was deleted/edited in the recent posts that spurred Erik's comment -- perhaps I'm being too quick to judge.

(Many were suggesting in a recent thread that the community needs to be more vigilant about tasteless or rude comments, particularly when directed to the SPs. We're all apparently to blame for not objecting to what we feel is inappropriate posting or behavior.)

Groo39

Aug 21, 2003
Erikrauda said:
No you old woman, look at the post immediately above my directive to inhale some more. The guy's talking about spirituality. What should I do? Take him seriously?
*LOL*

Nope, but I guess I should have used the "big grin" icon, eh?

However, he does have a point that sprituality seems to be unique to humans. Whether you believe in God, a universal consciousness, or that we are all just animated dust, I think the fact that we think about such things is all that separates us from animals.

Many species have communication as complex of that of 2-3 year old humans, with the ability to plan ahead and learn from experience as we do. Some use tools, some cooperate in their hunt for food and/or quest for survival, and some (particularly primates) form what appear to be emotional bonds.

The very act of thinking is not a solely human trait, and our contemplation of the nature of existance/spirituality is one of the very few things that truly distinguishes humans from animals.

In other words, social darwinism applies to the more intelligent animals as well as to humans. The earlier poster didn't bother to mention that detail, but only a thinking species with a concept of time and future possibilities can adjust social structure/interaction based on their impact on future possibilities as social darwinism suggests.

For those who choose to believe in any form of spiritual unity, that choice has as much effect on their decisions and lives as any other means of measuring one's worth in a social structure.

I think the comment was quite related to your post, though far from clearly presented.

Saffire

Multi-faceted Member
Jun 28, 2003
My Own Private Idaho
I had a few comments in mind as I was reading the start of this thread, but now I can't remember them. What was this thread even about, anyway?

Poseidon

Mr. Controversy
Jul 21, 2003
Your place or mine?
Hey Saffire,

I think everybody was on BC's finest mary Jane when they were writing in this thread. How the hell did the Darwin theory, spirituallity and god get in here anyways?....deep...very deep.

lynne

booster
Jul 21, 2003
Edmonton
As much as I was injoying the thread, I was wondering the same thing. If I can loosely tie together the original STD comment to this theological and philosophical discussion, it would be the idea that intentionally spreading a disease because "misery loves company" is not a trait that is inherent in humanity. Malice and intentional infection has no basis in Natural Selection, Social Darwinism, or dominance of a species. It is just plain mean. Period. I don't care who or what a person believs in, but no-one likes mean people. Lets all play nice okay?

P.S. I like to see that "hobbyists" can engage the big head as readily as the little one.... thanks guys!

Groo39

Aug 21, 2003
Poseidon said:
How the hell did the Darwin theory, spirituallity and god get in here anyways?....deep...very deep.
I can't explain how the Social Darwinism theory got mentioned in the first place, but I think the rest follows. Some people wander off topic, I leap over the cliff into obscurity... *g*