E.D. Meds

music in American NHL arenas

wolverine

Hard Throbbing Member
Nov 12, 2002
E-Town
Why is it that in most of the American arenas (esp in the mid-west and the south), they play nothing but hard rock and metal? Do they figure that the NHL appeals only to the white trailer-trash demographics down there?

In Canada and the northeast US, at least they play an eclectic range of fan-rousing tunes from hip-hop to classical to punk.

dexi

Feb 28, 2004
van
wolverine said:
Why is it that in most of the American arenas (esp in the mid-west and the south), they play nothing but hard rock and metal? Do they figure that the NHL appeals only to the white trailer-trash demographics down there?

In Canada and the northeast US, at least they play an eclectic range of fan-rousing tunes from hip-hop to classical to punk.
They probably do think hockey only appeals to slack jawed yahoos. But I'm not convinced Canada and the Northeast is so much better.

Seriously, you think that the music you hear at GM Place could be described as "an eclectic range?"

I go to a hockey game I hear the same 2 or 3 AC/DC songs, Gary Glitter, whatever "who let the dogs out" song is currently annoying the shit out of people. Basically the same arena rock crap as everywhere. It's like the music in the arena is brought to you by K-Tel.

Bring back the organ I say, 'cause the ear-splitting mullet rock and overplayed top 40 is keeping me away. It actually ruins the experience of going to a game that every time the whistle blows, some guy who wouldn't get bookings as a wedding DJ is making me listen to Lose Yourself by Eminem for the hundred thousandth time right up until the puck drops.

magician

veteran pooner
Dec 10, 2003
magical kingdom
dexi said:
Bring back the organ I say
I miss the old good days of having the organ in arenas like the Montreal Forum. Although the tunes can be a bit repetitive, it still beats the fragmented crap they play nowadays. There is nothing that annoys me more than listening to a song and all of the sudden stop becaue the ref drops the puck. The organ tunes are short and it just sounds more "complete" to the whole hockey experience.

wolverine

Hard Throbbing Member
Nov 12, 2002
E-Town
dexi said:
They probably do think hockey only appeals to slack jawed yahoos. But I'm not convinced Canada and the Northeast is so much better.

Seriously, you think that the music you hear at GM Place could be described as "an eclectic range?"
I can't speak for GM Place, but the Oilers games at Rexall has played the William Tell Overture, "Blitzkreig Bop" by the Ramones, the HNIC theme, that new Madonna song with the ABBA sample, Bedouin Soundclash, Bob Marley, Metric, Nine Inch Nails, Kayne West, Stompin' Tom and Beethoven's Fifth, not to mention the obligatory Queen and "Raise a Little Hell" by Trooper. It's certainly a far cry from a few years ago when Harlequin and Streetheart was being played by some grizzled old fart in a fading Van Halen 1984 tour T-shirt.