Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: BC offers scholarship to whites only

  1. #1
    Registered User luckydog71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,120

    BC offers scholarship to whites only

    No not British Columbia - Boston College

    There is a scholarship available to BC students who are at least 25% white.


    Hmmmmmm ….. Sounds like a publicity stunt…. And it is…. The scholarship is for $250 which would not even pay for 1 months meals at BC.

    But it opens up a good discussion. Should any privileges, qualifications, or benefits be based on race; or gender; or ethnicity; or age; or religion; or sexual orientation; or economic status; or any other characteristic?

    Hmmmmmmm… great question…. Should it?

    I fall on the side that says there should be qualifications that can be imposed as long as it is in the private sector. It would be dangerous if government entered into providing status or benefits based on a human characteristic…

    So if I own a rental property and only want to rent to brown eyed babes with big tits…. I should be allowed to do that. In fact I should be able to advertise that way…

    However a government that decides that a police force must be 85% white and 15% non-white has crossed the line….

  2. #2
    Registered User luckydog71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by jjinvan
    As long as you are willing to accept a male or lesbian 'babe' then you're probably OK, because the charter doesn't protect against discrimination based on eye colour or cup size.
    Sorry.. I picked a bad example... if I own the house.... I should be able to narrow my charateristics down as fine as I want... no males.... no lesbians.... no chicks of (name the skin color)... why should a gov't impose who I will or will not rent to?

    I would also be OK with someone who only would rent to lesbians....

  3. #3
    I guess the hoopla from Doug Flutie's 1984 Hail Mary pass can't cut it anymore for ol' BC.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydog71
    So if I own a rental property and only want to rent to brown eyed babes with big tits…. I should be allowed to do that. In fact I should be able to advertise that way
    IMO absofuckignlutely....your house, your rules

    I know that with my rental properties by far the most weighting I put on how to decide who to rent to is credit report and past rental history. If I have two applicants and all things are equal I'll rent to a guy before a woman. Its simply based on my experience that guys are far lower maintenance and provide less grief when it comes to paying, damages, etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by luckydog71
    However a government that decides that a police force must be 85% white and 15% non-white has crossed the line….
    Affirmative action needs to go the way of unions and become nothing more then history. Both have out lived their usefulness and don't serve any purpose other then having different levels of "equality" which is counter to their intended purpose.



    let the slagging commence

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by luckydog71
    Sorry.. I picked a bad example... if I own the house.... I should be able to narrow my charateristics down as fine as I want... no males.... no lesbians.... no chicks of (name the skin color)... why should a gov't impose who I will or will not rent to?

    I would also be OK with someone who only would rent to lesbians....
    Generally in Canadian precedent it has split along these lines: private associations can discriminate based on whatever they feel like, but invitations to public commerce cannot discriminate based on things beyond the individuals control or not relevant to the transaction.

    So, you can be as picky as you want about who you let live in your basement... but if you advertise publicly and ask for rent, then you can only discriminate against behaviours ( smoking ) or physical factors that would would harm your business ( the guy weighs 600 lbs and the stairs won't stand his weight.)

    Businesses can discriminate: you don't have to hire males for female roles in commercials, you don't have hire counter staff with 20 facial peircings to work at the baby lullaby cradle nursery store, you don't have to serve customers that don't wear shirts and shoes.

    And yes, you have freedom of choice ... you don't have to rent out your basement for money. If you don't invite the public to engage in commerce, you can have your private club that is men's only, women's only, uni-testical east indian parrot tamers ... whatever.

    Now, there were plenty of places that simply chose not to serve blacks, doctors that chose not to treat jews, etc. Generally, given the choice of some government interfernce and none, from what I've seen some is better.

    Of course, is a scholarship offered by a private club' association or individual "public business" or "private/personal"? I would tend to say the former, because you are openly soliciting invitations for competition. If you wanted to just pick a white student and privately give them a scholarship, that would be your business.

    The problem with scholarships based on race is that race has nothing to do with scholarship. If most people with dark skin in a city are poor, come from innercity neighbourhoods with questinable primary schooling facilities, then you make scholarships for poor people that come from inner city neighbourhoods... a lot of whom will happen to have dark skin.

    I find the problem with most "affirmative action" programs... especially those that rely on quotas is that they don't try and fix the problem, they just fix the numbers.

  6. #6
    this reverse discrimantion is bullshit.

    I can call a black man a nigger
    An asian a gook
    A east indian a packie

    and thats racist


    but they call me a cracker slave master or other shit, and thats ok??

    they should be luckey to be in this country. I believe that the head tax should have included all non whites, not just asians.

  7. #7
    Your GFE Dream Come True
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    440

    facking affirmative action...

    ...you do realise...if affirmative action is enforced in the olympics, 90% of the male figure skaters would HAVE to be STRAIGHT?!

    I rest my case

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,075

    why is this still going on

    Why are we still abunch of racists.. everyone should be treated equally .. and be respected equally ..every one of use comes from imagrent roots
    So why be so ignorat. and yes even the first nation peoples .. migrated here.. just another word for imagrate.
    Sure I had a dad that had his rasist grips about jews and blacks .. but he taught me to respect every race and ethnicity. and we had plenty of arguments about apartide in south Africa... and Rhodesia ,he beleaved in it . as did meny of the white in those countries... I new he was wrong... And when the gouverment of those countrie finally changed there attidudes.. then they also addmited that racsisum was wrong .. Yes then they got racisum right back from the blacks .... and that too gradualy changed With the help of Madela and JImmy Carter.
    . THat is just one example ... and we have know reason to have any examples of racsisum in our country.. just stop being ignotant
    Start with your selves and maybe others will stop acting the same way towards you.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by maxx50
    Why are we still abunch of racists.. everyone should be treated equally .. and be respected equally ..every one of use comes from imagrent roots
    So why be so ignorat. and yes even the first nation peoples .. migrated here.. just another word for imagrate.
    Sure I had a dad that had his rasist grips about jews and blacks .. but he taught me to respect every race and ethnicity. and we had plenty of arguments about apartide in south Africa... and Rhodesia ,he beleaved in it . as did meny of the white in those countries... I new he was wrong... And when the gouverment of those countrie finally changed there attidudes.. then they also addmited that racsisum was wrong .. Yes then they got racisum right back from the blacks .... and that too gradualy changed With the help of Madela and JImmy Carter.
    . THat is just one example ... and we have know reason to have any examples of racsisum in our country.. just stop being ignotant
    Start with your selves and maybe others will stop acting the same way towards you.
    Can I use this post as a sticky for those who point out MY bad spelling and typing!!!!

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Manitoba
    Posts
    1,073
    The world is full of bigots. If left to their own devices, neighborhoods would be segregated, people would be free to discriminate whenever and however they saw fit, ethnic cleansing (viz. Bosnia, Rwanda, etc.) would be a regular occurence, the list goes on and on. If you think the stuff in the previous sentence is okay, then refer back to the first sentence of this paragraph. YOU are one of the bigots.

    By attempting to put some boundaries on bigotry, governments are making an effort to level the playing field somewhat. They will never succeed totally because, not to put too fine a point on it, people are assholes and you will never rid them completely of their inherent prejudices and regressive attitudes and beliefs. This board proves the veracity of that last sentence over and over and over again.

  11. #11
    Inactive Pooner
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Land of the living skies
    Posts
    2,547
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator
    Can I use this post as a sticky for those who point out MY bad spelling and typing!!!!
    English language racism?
    Joking....... don't want to piss off the boss.......
    Last edited by athaire; 11-25-2006 at 06:18 PM.
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4653695861/" title="angry heart by at_haire, on Flickr"><img src="http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4653695861_8cf230a7e8_m.jpg" width="240" height="240" alt="angry heart" /></a>

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    1,075

    out wit the bad spellers

    Sorry there for the spelling .. i did try... I googled ... but when i get on a roll I can't stop.....
    Mine is just a small tirate against prejudice ,there are those here that are very articular ... and i have to agree Theyget there point a cross very clearly..
    Now why don't the rest the F**ken peopls listen.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •