Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada works

Canada works

I have been super impressed at the speed and breadth of our governments' decision making. Thinking of the dichotomy that existed just a few weeks ago, I have really appreciated the lack of partisanship and regionalism. Basically in the span of a week, the governments have been trying to reconstruct every aspect of our lives to keep us safe. The feds have committed over $90 billion in payments and deferrals in a very wide net to help support us through the next 12 weeks!

Trudeau has seemed very Prime Ministerial, Chrysta Freeland has been her usual rockstar self (definitely a potential PM in waiting), Horgan and Dix have been nothing but direct and competent, and I have every confidence in Theresa Tam and Bonnie Henry.

I have also appreciated the voluntary actions and sacrifices taken by private businesses, from closing offices to enforce that their employees work from home, to actually shuttering operations.

It is amazing that when times get tough, without complaint, we shift way left to support each other. And despite the hoarders, I have rarely felt so thankful and privileged to be Canadian and to live on this side of the border!

Quote Originally Posted by CanineCowboy View Post
    I have been super impressed at the speed and breadth of our governments' decision making. Thinking of the dichotomy that existed just a few weeks ago, I have really appreciated the lack of partisanship and regionalism. Basically in the span of a week, the governments have been trying to reconstruct every aspect of our lives to keep us safe. The feds have committed over $90 billion in payments and deferrals in a very wide net to help support us through the next 12 weeks!

Trudeau has seemed very Prime Ministerial, Chrysta Freeland has been her usual rockstar self (definitely a potential PM in waiting), Horgan and Dix have been nothing but direct and competent, and I have every confidence in Theresa Tam and Bonnie Henry.

I have also appreciated the voluntary actions and sacrifices taken by private businesses, from closing offices to enforce that their employees work from home, to actually shuttering operations.

It is amazing that when times get tough, without complaint, we shift way left to support each other. And despite the hoarders, I have rarely felt so thankful and privileged to be Canadian and to live on this side of the border!
    I wish that you could have written the same thing a week ago but it might be just my perception on things .

I know that the American border closure was problematic because of the oddball at the White House but the other measures were days behind what the science and mathematics were telling everybody. But at least it's finally done and will be implemented .

Quote Originally Posted by carvesg View Post
    I wish that you could have written the same thing a week ago but it might be just my perception on things .

I know that the American border closure was problematic because of the oddball at the White House but the other measures were days behind what the science and mathematics were telling everybody. But at least it's finally done and will be implemented .
    Yeah, our governments will make mistakes, but I think they're honestly trying to balance competing needs and make the right decisions. I am not a fan of Trudeau and I don't like the present government of B.C. at all, but I do think that at this time they're all putting in their best efforts. I'm inclined not to snipe at them from the peanut gallery while they try to deal with all this. There'll be lots of time for criticism after the situation stabilizes.
    "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, it doesn't go away." - Philip K. Dick

"For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple and wrong." - H. L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by carvesg View Post
    I know that the American border closure was problematic
    I work in air and road cargo.

You cannot imagine how much food, medicine, and medical equipment comes in daily. DAILY.
    To slam the door shut without thinking of the consequences would have brought on a retaliatory response from the US President. That's always a concern. And then we would have been totally fucked.
    Two hands helping do more good than a thousand hands clasped in prayer

I have been super impressed at the speed and breadth of our governments' decision making
    The plans laid out seem pretty thorough and well thought out. They even extended the income tax deadline! Major banks are allowing mortgage deferrals. I would never have seen that coming.
    Shocked at how many stores closed voluntarily yesterday and even more today.

I have rarely felt so thankful and privileged to be Canadian and to live on this side of the border!
    Costco today, huge lineup but everyone was polite, patient, and only one asshole tried to cut in line. Staff dealt with him politely but firmly.
    And I got toilet paper YAY!!
    Two hands helping do more good than a thousand hands clasped in prayer

the utter inept Liberals, really?

the horse left the barn weeks ago, you want to see how a government who is competent handles something like this

look at Taiwan, basically same timeline as Canada's cases, look at where they are now

ffs, until last Sun, March 15th people were arriving at our airports with no screening, no warnings, no quarantine, that should have been happening in January

90 billion, sure, it's going to get to people that really need it, you honestly believe that?

you think self-employed, under-employed, poor people are really going to get their taste?

you think millionaires aren't going to stick their beaks in? lol

Loblaws, 12 million for fridges, that's how the Liberals dole out money

you got people getting GST, meaning you don't make a lot of money

you got people on CPP disability

the tax role

they are too stupid to use the system to just directly send cheques out to the people, watch they will have a convoluted moronic scheme which will be gamed

when you offer free, all the weasels come out of the woodwork

those at the bottom rarely get but crumbs

impressed, the incompetence of Trudeau has been on full display since he was packing for his UN begging tour, how sad that's what you think is competence

throwing 90 billion out there

that is Trudeau's only talent though, spending by debt

guess you think the trickle down theory works

Quote Originally Posted by overdone View Post
    they are too stupid to use the system to just directly send cheques out to the people, watch they will have a convoluted moronic scheme which will be gamed

throwing 90 billion out there

that is Trudeau's only talent though, spending by debt
    Do you honestly believe sending money directly to citizens would not require additional debt? Whether the government provides stimulus/additional social program measures, it will require debt.

Overdone, I own my own small business and I employ people.

I haven't slept well for the last two weeks, waking up in the middle of the night and ruminating about what I should do? Beyond my own personal well being, I was thinking of how my employees would fair if I shuttered my business. I have some savings to fall back on, but I know that is not the case for everyone. I balanced that anxiety against the possibility of continuing to operate and gambling with the possible exposure of my employees and my clients (and more broadly their families and the broader community) to the virus by providing a vector for transmission.

Today's announcement helped alleviate my financial concerns. As Westwoody already pointed out, not having to remit taxes owing until August gives me immediate access to interest free liquidity which I can use to ease the financial stress on my employees and myself. I also feel better about the immediate changes to employment insurance which will allow my employees access to assistance which I can top up. It has made the decision to scale back operations immediately easy and allows my employees to stay at home and protect themselves, their families and the community.

A bunch of your predictable cantankerous whining is just side noise... it contributes nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by appleomac View Post
    Do you honestly believe sending money directly to citizens would not require additional debt? Whether the government provides stimulus/additional social program measures, it will require debt.
    of course not, but at least it might get to people who actually need it, hopefully

just look at their infrastructure plan, from 4yrs ago, that Bank they were suppose to set up to dole it out, lol

remember, that's where all the debt was supposed to go to, all the deficits were to go to infrastructure

10 billion a yr, that was 80 billion ago, how much actually got out the door?

virtually nothing in 4yrs

we're talking about incompetent morons

Friday, the Health minister was mouthing off that there was no reason to shut the border

Mon, Zoolander came out of Isolation and announced they were shutting the border

Overdone, I own my own small business and I employ people.

I haven't slept well for the last two weeks, waking up in the middle of the night and ruminating about what I should do? Beyond my own personal well being, I was thinking of how my employees would fair if I shuttered my business. I have some savings to fall back on, but I know that is not the case for everyone. I balanced that anxiety against the possibility of continuing to operate and gambling with the possible exposure of my employees and my clients (and more broadly their families and the broader community) to the virus by providing a vector for transmission.

Today's announcement helped alleviate my financial concerns. As Westwoody already pointed out, not having to remit taxes owing until August gives me immediate access to interest free liquidity which I can use to ease the financial stress on my employees and myself. I also feel better about the immediate changes to employment insurance which will allow my employees access to assistance which I can top up. It has made the decision to scale back operations immediately easy and allows my employees to stay at home and protect themselves, their families and the community.

A bunch of your predictable cantankerous whining is just side noise... it contributes nothing.
    and delusional emotion doesn't either

being "super impressed"

by a bunch of incompetent morons?

they're 2-3 months late, they can't make a decision, they've flipped/flopped just in the last 3 days alone

so sorry, if not being impressed by an incompetent figure head and his buddies is predictable

we've had 4 yrs to see/predict the outcome

anyone could throw money at the problem

what we needed was leadership, 3 months ago

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/chr...ng-by-a-thread

here's a dose of reality, summed up

they weren't even screening people at the airports, till this week?

that impresses you? really?

or is it just that he's going to throw money at the problem?

just wait and see how many people are left out of that

impressed, lol

you must have gotten real wet listening to Donnie The Magnificent then, ahhaahaaaa

impressed, by incompetence, how sad
    Last edited by overdone; 03-18-2020 at 04:02 PM.

of course not, but at least it might get to people who actually need it, hopefully

just look at their infrastructure plan, from 4yrs ago, that Bank they were suppose to set up to dole it out, lol

we're talking about incompetent morons

Friday, the Health minister was mouthing off that there was no reason to shut the border

Mon, Zoolander came out of Isolation and announced they were shutting the border
    LOL. I get it, it's actually not about spending via debt (although you rant about that), it's that they (the government) are not spending via debt the way you would like them to! So what's the magic number? Should everyone receive a couple thousand dollars directly from the government? Just asking for a friend LOL!

Stimulus package?
    (To help kick start the economy again)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoody View Post
    I work in air and road cargo.

You cannot imagine how much food, medicine, and medical equipment comes in daily. DAILY.
    Thanks for your efforts to keep the supply lines open. Once all the people that have panicked and filled their garage with toilet paper realize that people like you go to work everyday to keep the stores replenished, they're going to feel downright silly. I expect to see cases of toilet paper at discount prices at garage sales in the fall. Keep up the good work! Your efforts are appreciated!!!

LOL. I get it, it's actually not about spending via debt (although you rant about that), it's that they (the government) are not spending via debt the way you would like them to! So what's the magic number? Should everyone receive a couple thousand dollars directly from the government? Just asking for a friend LOL!
    not about me, about people who really need the money

it would have helped if the assholes didn't drive us into debt while the economy wasn't in a recession

they would actually have the fire power the delusional idiot thinks we have, to act

do you really think this bunch of morons are going to get the money to people that need it, really need it?

with their track record of governing? really?

"were here from the government and we're here to help"

that's the normal

we have a even more incompetent group at the helm than usual

do you really think it's going to trickle down to those in actual need?

couple thousand would be better, then tax it back from those with money based on income tax next yr

how much do you think multi-nationals, big profitable companies will get?

you think they aren't going to be there with their hands out?

yet someone who's unemployed, not eligible for pogey

on disability, underemployed, can't pay their rent

he isn't a leader, the Liberals, Trudeau Liberals aren't leaders, none of them\

Freeland is the closest thing they have to an adult in the room

this is going to be a shit show, for the next few months, watch, it's already been for the last week, last month

it would have helped if the assholes didn't drive us into debt while the economy wasn't in a recession
    The A-holes that caused Canada to have national debt are both Liberals and Conservatives. Now, I'm going to make a BIG assumption and say that you probably lean a bit right on the political spectrum. Based on that; I suspect if the Government of Canada was able to accumulate $90 billion (i.e. a whole lot of surpluses) to be able to dole out today to the people, you would've complained that your taxes were too high while the Government was accumulating such surpluses! LOL

I get it mate; you're not a fan of the Liberals. But most can see right through your "rationale" - you just want to blame/criticize Liberals.

- you just want to blame/criticize Liberals.
    Nothing wrong with that.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast