Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CRA Scammers finally busted!

Blog Entries

CRA Scammers finally busted!

Quite the elaborate network of scammers were finally busted in Ontario. The CBC Market Place program provided a lot of intel to the RCMP who caught the husband and wife team. A call centre in India made the threatening calls while the Ontario couple bagged and laundered the cash.

One less thief to abuse on the phone for me.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...tion-1.5463838

I am so homophobic, I eat bananas sidewise.

Bill Maher talking about Mike Pence.

https://youtu.be/Jx4ioveM7Jc

Prediction: a couple months jail and as many years probation. Crime pays.

Just a drop in the bucket........
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead.
    It is the same way when you are stupid.

It took the CBC to bust them. One can only wonder why the RCMP can't successfully investigate crimes themselves.
    Dilbert: "That doesn't make sense."
    Dogbert: "You'd be surprised how little that matters."

Why are they released on their own recognizance considering how many people they have scammed and harassed? Isn’t this serious enough to at least require bail?
    Last edited by McDiver; 02-15-2020 at 01:28 AM.

I would suspect these 3 people aren't the only ones doing the scams....Kinda like a terrorist cell, nobody knows the others in the network.... Its like follow the suspects and see where they go, just like any cop movie....

Quote Originally Posted by Newb808 View Post
    Prediction: a couple months jail and as many years probation. Crime pays.
    If that. Canada is a haven for international white colllar crime. There is essentially no penalty beyond possible fines, but even that's rare.

The Canadian flag should just add a sucker to it.
    Screaming Geriatric Dominoes Enter My Brain

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MissingOne View Post
    It took the CBC to bust them. One can only wonder why the RCMP can't successfully investigate crimes themselves.
    CBC Marketplace has the budget to go to India twice while RCMP have a lot of hoops to jump through to travel anywhere let alone India.

I am so homophobic, I eat bananas sidewise.

Bill Maher talking about Mike Pence.

https://youtu.be/Jx4ioveM7Jc

I don't think it will do a thing. They were just the money mules in Canada.

The real organization is in India.

I think they will be able to find another countryman in Canada that would be willing to carry on the job for the normal cut.

They calls will keep coming, only difference is will be a new person collecting in Canada and distributing the funds back to India.

The annoying cycle continues.
    No good deed goes unpunished

I cant fathom how people are stupid enough to be scammed like this.If the CRA wants to contact you over a tax issue they send you a letter in the mail with all the particulars including your SIN#.The CRA does not contact people with an auto dialer that plays a recorded message that sounds like a robot.

SR

People sent bags of cash thinking it is to the CRA?

Pleasure Provider VanessainVictoria's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SydneyTaylor View Post
    People sent bags of cash thinking it is to the CRA?
    I saw one story where the young woman was asked to buy prepaid gift cards and send them to the "CRA".

The whole backstory is so embarrassing to the RCMP. This has being going on for 6 years, and the RCMP did absolutely nothing until a pasty-white CBC journalist managed to infiltrate one of the call centers in India while sticking out like a sore thumb IN INDIA! Only then, the RCMP embarrssed by having their head up their asses, started a task force. fast forward 2 years, and a whopping '2' people have been arrested while over 18 Million dollars has been scammed by innocent (but gullible) people. These people are just the low-end baggers (like a street dealer for drugs) and the kingpins and middle-men of the operation won't likely every see the inside of a jail cell.

Of course, even some of the people in India have been arrested, none have been sentenced to far or seen a day behind bars. And the money somehow was not recovered. The money they scammed has probably paid for their 'get out of jail" card.

Quote Originally Posted by storm rider View Post
    I cant fathom how people are stupid enough to be scammed like this.If the CRA wants to contact you over a tax issue they send you a letter in the mail with all the particulars including your SIN#.The CRA does not contact people with an auto dialer that plays a recorded message that sounds like a robot.

SR
    Most of the victims were Senior citizens, or new immigrants to Canada who don't understand how the tax system works. Otherwise, the victims were just plain stupid.

One of the victims came from a country, where you literally paid for your taxes to a stranger in cash or with jewelery and gold...lol

I received a few of these calls, and had a little fun with them, but I find they are pretty quick to hang up now. I asked one caller if i was going to an Indian Jail or a Canadian one. He asked why I asked that, I said I heard the Canadian gov had made a agreement with the India government to jail Canadians. I told him I really like butter chicken, so I wanted to to go to an Indian jail if possible......? he hung up on me..... with-out answering..... lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast