Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25

Thread: Diet Update

  1. #1

    Diet Update

    Hi All,

    I originally posted this about a year ago.

    https://perb.cc/vbulletin/showthread...highlight=diet

    To date I am still on my plan of Wheat-Dairy and Sugar Free but had to thrown in exercising religiously to get my desired results.

    Lost 15lbs so far and starting to see a flatter stomach.

    Even friends that I don't normally see frequently ask if I have lost weight.

    I guess 15lbs isn't a lot in a year but it's a start in the right direction.

    Cheers everyone,

    Cory

  2. #2
    Good for you.

    15lb can be quite significant depending on how far you are from your ideal.
    Some lose 15lbs in a month, some in a year, key being it's about lifestyle change so that it will last.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    2,478
    Keep on it.One of the guys from *** who played at my home poker game made a weight loss bet years back on NYE for $1000.He shed so much weight that his hands were cool to the touch when shaking hands.He dropped 80 pounds all told.He stuck to a diet and was relentless for exercise.His one "cheat" each month was dinner at my poker game.When he went to his dart league games he would drink water and eat an apple whilst everyone else guzzled beer and scoffed chicken wings.

    Remember this fun fact....it is far easier to put it on than to strip it off.....strictly regards to body weight.....keep it up and the best of health to you....now if only my accountant would take that advice to heart.

    SR

  4. #4
    Thank-you for your reply and encouragement, it means a lot to me :-)

    I should have started this a long long time ago but just couldn't get into the gym type life.

    Now I am hooked and can't get enough of it.

    Cheers,

    Corym

  5. #5
    If you want to lose weight and keep it off, this is what you do:

    1)calculate how many calories your body needs every day to maintain weight: https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitn...ies-calculator

    2)Write down after every meal how many calories you consumed (doesn't have to be perfect, just a very good estimation). Include everything you eat incluing snacks.

    3)Aim to consume 500-1000 calories less thann what is required to maintain your weight daily.

    4)after one week, you will lose 1-2 pounds.

    YOu can eat anything you want as long as your calories total doesn't exceed the target limit.

    Also, you can have a day where you feast, and the next day you can cut your calories severely.

    At the end of the week, your total calories that you cut off from your diet will translate to pounds lost.


    This works 100% and is very effective for long term loss. I also found out that exercise is not very important, compared to diet. You can run on a treadmill for a long time, and burn the same amount of calories an apple contains. Just skip the appled and save yourself the run.

    By doing this I lost 20 pounds in ten weeks.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lower Mainland, B.C.
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by nwtl View Post
    Good for you.

    ... key being it's about lifestyle change so that it will last.
    That was my first thought. The slower you lose the weight, the more likley you are able to keep it off, because it means you are following an eating and exercising lifestyle that you become accustomed to and therefore can continue to follow.

    Also, if you are exercising more than before you began your weight loss program, then you have almost certainly gained muscle. Which means that if the scales say you have lost 15 lbs, you may actually, for example, have lost 25lbs of fat and gained 10lbs of muscle for a net weight loss of 15lbs. Eventually you will stop gaining muscle, unless you change your exercise program, and you may find that the weight loss comes faster. That is my personal experience.

    JD

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westwood
    Posts
    6,075
    Stick to a plan you can actually do. Don’t set yourself up for failure.
    This is the time of year when all the gym newbies with pie in the sky plans start disappearing from the gym.
    Tracking your intake is the single biggest factor in weight loss. It’s easy and gives you a very good idea of what helps you and what hinders you, by comparing it to your exercise record.
    Two hands helping do more good than a thousand hands clasped in prayer

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    125
    Well done Cory ! I had to loose a lot too. It didn’t come on in 6 weeks.so I knew it was going to be a long term project and lifestyle change. What goes in really does matter I found a very helpful friend in an app , “My Fitnes# Pal”. Over about 2 1/2 years I lost 70 lbs and have kept it off for 5 years now. The gym is also a new friend I see 3 times a week. Investing in a personal trainer for a couple years was a good idea too
    Good luck ! Keep at it.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver - Richmond
    Posts
    1,076
    I lost about 126 pounds last year.

    She left with the pool guy, and I haven't seen her since.
    Laughter is the best medicine..

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Corym View Post
    Hi All,

    I originally posted this about a year ago.

    https://perb.cc/vbulletin/showthread...highlight=diet

    To date I am still on my plan of Wheat-Dairy and Sugar Free but had to thrown in exercising religiously to get my desired results.

    Lost 15lbs so far and starting to see a flatter stomach.

    Even friends that I don't normally see frequently ask if I have lost weight.

    I guess 15lbs isn't a lot in a year but it's a start in the right direction.

    Cheers everyone,

    Cory
    I encourage you to not evaluate yourself based on the number on the scale and don’t let others evaluate you that way. Weight is just a number. The most important thing is how good you feel about yourself. Things like self confidence, overall health, reduced waistline or even better blood flow to a specific organ, etc. are other positive aspects of a good diet and an active lifestyle. If you’re happy about your overall self and the new lifestyle, keep it up!

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    45
    Good points by everyone. Two other important factors are age and starting fitness level (for exercise).

    A 50 year old can't match a 30 year old for calorie burn. If 50, you can get there but it will take longer. Regarding the fitness level, if you're grossly out of shape, the 1st 3-6 months will be building your stamina / muscle mass to a decent level.

    Regardless keep it up. You'll be happier overall.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkynuts View Post
    If you want to lose weight and keep it off, this is what you do:

    1)calculate how many calories your body needs every day to maintain weight: https://www.lifespanfitness.com/fitn...ies-calculator

    2)Write down after every meal how many calories you consumed (doesn't have to be perfect, just a very good estimation). Include everything you eat incluing snacks.

    3)Aim to consume 500-1000 calories less thann what is required to maintain your weight daily.

    4)after one week, you will lose 1-2 pounds.

    YOu can eat anything you want as long as your calories total doesn't exceed the target limit.

    Also, you can have a day where you feast, and the next day you can cut your calories severely.

    At the end of the week, your total calories that you cut off from your diet will translate to pounds lost.


    This works 100% and is very effective for long term loss. I also found out that exercise is not very important, compared to diet. You can run on a treadmill for a long time, and burn the same amount of calories an apple contains. Just skip the appled and save yourself the run.

    By doing this I lost 20 pounds in ten weeks.
    people in general NEVER stick to caloric intake diets most need a more wholistic plan and one that is easily visible

  13. #13
    If you read it, it seems that the diet is given to you easily and simply. My wife is terribly nervous and angry when she follows a diet. My doctor advised me to buy plus cbd oil for her (herbal sedative). She was not happy about the gift then and threw it into the wall (it’s good that not me). I do not remember how I lasted these 5 weeks ((

  14. #14
    Hi Everybody,

    All points taken and appreciated :-)

    I started using protein shakes and eating way less. You could say I am intermittent fasting but don't get hangry.

    Also cutout going out for lunch with the boys. Just too easy to grab a burger.

    Started to bring my own healthy lunch and saving $$$ as a added bonus.

    People that know me but don't know that I go to the gym have asked if I lost weight.

    Will checkout the suggested Apps.

    Thank-you very much!!!

    Corym

  15. #15
    Well done and congratulations on being on the road to a healthy lifestyle! Please remember it is a marathon and not a sprint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •