Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Did anyone else see this? CBC: Sharpshooting officer saves deer who locked antlers

  1. #1
    Pleasure Provider VanessainVictoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Vanessa-TextMe.com
    Posts
    644
    Blog Entries
    4

    Did anyone else see this? CBC: Sharpshooting officer saves deer who locked antlers

    I've been watching it all morning!

    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...cked-1.5449058

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kamloops B.C.
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by VanessainVictoria View Post
    If you go on YouTube there's another incident like that one down in the states from awhile ago.
    Same thing 'unlocked with a gunshot'....I've seen big bucks walking around with a broken antler hung up in their own.
    I've also heard stories of bucks walking around with a full set locked in their antler, attached to a bleached skull, which I suppose might be possible, if the bigger buck was strong enough to drag a carcass around and feed, while the other decomposed.
    I know hunters that have found sets of skulls intertwined with another, and you would assume they both starved to death, but that could be easily faked by using two antlered skulls and a crowbar to interlace them afterwards.
    Antler is incredibly strong when the velvet sheds, and it dries out....I've put a round through it, and once it's compromised , it will break easily, just because it's so damn hard....but it takes the right person behind the sights to squeeze off a round at a target 1-1/2 thick, at just the right moment.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by sybian View Post
    If you go on YouTube there's another incident like that one down in the states from awhile ago.
    Same thing 'unlocked with a gunshot'....I've seen big bucks walking around with a broken antler hung up in their own.
    I've also heard stories of bucks walking around with a full set locked in their antler, attached to a bleached skull, which I suppose might be possible, if the bigger buck was strong enough to drag a carcass around and feed, while the other decomposed.
    I know hunters that have found sets of skulls intertwined with another, and you would assume they both starved to death, but that could be easily faked by using two antlered skulls and a crowbar to interlace them afterwards.
    Antler is incredibly strong when the velvet sheds, and it dries out....I've put a round through it, and once it's compromised , it will break easily, just because it's so damn hard....but it takes the right person behind the sights to squeeze off a round at a target 1-1/2 thick, at just the right moment.
    It said on the news he had a 12 gauge loaded with a slug. Expect that would go through an antler fairly easy.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Kamloops B.C.
    Posts
    3,021
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    It said on the news he had a 12 gauge loaded with a slug. Expect that would go through an antler fairly easy.
    That's an impressive shot, with a twelve gauge, even if it had rear sights.
    A twelve gauge hollow point slug will cut down a small tree, if you hit it just right.

  5. #5
    There is a photo out there with a buck walking around who’s antlers are locked up with the whole rotten head of his opponent

  6. #6
    Pleasure Provider VanessainVictoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Vanessa-TextMe.com
    Posts
    644
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmotorscooter View Post
    There is a photo out there with a buck walking around who’s antlers are locked up with the whole rotten head of his opponent
    I Googled that. Looks like it happens more often than I thought!

  7. #7
    I saw the news report too. Great shot - and good thing they didn't move around too much as it happened.
    I don't know if there was any other way to do it. Can't tranq one animal and not the other, but can't do both at the same time. One or both would thrash around and hurt themselves worse.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmotorscooter View Post
    There is a photo out there with a buck walking around who’s antlers are locked up with the whole rotten head of his opponent
    Imagine if that happened to football players.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Varies now
    Posts
    2,136
    Even though there are days I wish I could change some things that happened in the past, there’s a reason the rear view mirror is so small and the windshield is so big, where you’re headed is much more important than what you’ve left behind.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In Lust Mostly
    Posts
    9,525
    Blog Entries
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmotorscooter View Post
    There is a photo out there with a buck walking around who’s antlers are locked up with the whole rotten head of his opponent
    I wondered about the ones who are not saved. Both could be attacked by predators, both starve to death or like you say, one would survive and have a rotting crown.


    I am so homophobic, I eat bananas sidewise.

    Bill Maher talking about Mike Pence.

    https://youtu.be/Jx4ioveM7Jc





  10. #10
    Pleasure Provider VanessainVictoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Vanessa-TextMe.com
    Posts
    644
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by badbadboy View Post
    I wondered about the ones who are not saved. Both could be attacked by predators, both starve to death or like you say, one would survive and have a rotting crown.
    I wonder if its a status symbol, the rotting crown.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by VanessainVictoria View Post
    I wonder if its a status symbol, the rotting crown.
    It would be nothing permanent as deer shed their antlers each year.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •