Thread: Uncle Buck: What were his good and redeeming qualities

Uncle Buck: What were his good and redeeming qualities

Uncle Buck starring John Candy.

Uncle Buck, in previews, was not painted as an admirable figure.

When I think about showing a bad side to nieces and nephews, I call that being Uncle Buck.

Please brief me in his GOOD and REDEEMING qualities, if he had any.

Could he have been a protagonist, in any way?

When I think back to when I last saw the movie, he was loving, caring & intelligent if not a bit crass. His methods may have been unorthodox and thats what made him Uncle Buck.

Quote Originally Posted by VanessainVictoria View Post
    When I think back to when I last saw the movie, he was loving, caring & intelligent if not a bit crass. His methods may have been unorthodox and thats what made him Uncle Buck.
    The "intelligent" part, makes me think about Jughead Jones in the Archie Comics.

Archie and especially Reggie THOUGHT they were WAY smarter than Jughead. But, time and time again, Jughead outsmarted and outmaneuvered them!

Not as talkative and smiley as Uncle Buck, though!

I do not remember which John Candy movie it was, but he enters this home and the husband parades out his wife and gets her to show off her man made boobs. The husband says it was a choice of this or a new sterio and asks John Candy's character what he thinks. John Candy's reply? Somehting to the effect that he agrees with the decision because "it is something the whole family can enjoy". Which is a bit weird since they had young children. But still priceless lol.

JD

Uncle Buck? Who would actually remember what redeeming qualities he had? A rather forgettable movie all in all.

Quote Originally Posted by JimDandy View Post
    I do not remember which John Candy movie it was, but he enters this home and the husband parades out his wife and gets her to show off her man made boobs. The husband says it was a choice of this or a new sterio and asks John Candy's character what he thinks. John Candy's reply? Somehting to the effect that he agrees with the decision because "it is something the whole family can enjoy". Which is a bit weird since they had young children. But still priceless lol.

JD
    Was it The Great Outdoors (with Dan Ackroyd) ?

Quote Originally Posted by JimDandy View Post

JD
    I'm pretty sure it was summer rental.
    Minister of the Church of Meaghan

It was Summer Rental.

He was also very creative.

Defiantly the joke about the "pitter patter of little feet", a mouse on corrugated metal.