Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Fair, or Not Fair?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Upstairs
    Posts
    3,959

    Fair, or Not Fair?

    About five years ago four of us went to a higher end pizza place that had opened nearby. It had been open about six months by then, so the bugs should have shaken out.

    The service was horrible. Not only a ridicuous one hour wait for two pizzas, but indifferent, almost rude staff.

    The food was certainly nothing special, and was over-priced for what they claimed we were getting.

    As a result, we all decided the place wasn't worth it, and never went back, lthough it seems to be doing well without our business.

    As the saying goes, "You only get one chance to make a first impression."

    My feeling is there are a lot of choices out there, so why give the place a second try? The area is filled with restaurants of all types.

    Is that fair, or is there any reason to give them a second try? Would any of you?
    Screaming Geriatric Dominoes Enter My Brain

  2. #2
    I eat food, not service. I couldn't care less if there were no service - means I don't have to tip.

    If the food didn't captivate me I ain't going back.

  3. #3
    People were petrified of the soup nazi but he still did loads of business. I know I am talking fiction there but in all seriousness, unless the soup maker was extremely rude, I would still go for my chicken mulligatawny.

    In fact, there is this place that I still go to despite the fact that owner and his wife aren't exactly the warmest people. The wife actually rolled her eyes at my wife, but the food is good so my wife still wants it. Only difference is that now she sends me instead of going there herself.

    I would still go if;
    F= 7 to 9 and
    A=3 to 1.

    But if;
    F = 10 and
    A/S =0 , I might not go there (myself).
    At my age, they all look good and luckily there is a nerve that connects my eyes to my one-eyed monster.


    (, v ,)
    .) . (
    ( 'v' )

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Check your closet..:)
    Posts
    2,428
    I have had the same experience at some restaurants and never returned.
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead.
    It is the same way when you are stupid.

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Upstairs
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by nightswhisper View Post
    I eat food, not service. I couldn't care less if there were no service - means I don't have to tip.

    If the food didn't captivate me I ain't going back.
    One of the strangest comments I've seen.

    Might apply if you're home waiting for a delivery, but even then service can make or break a business.

    You're okay waiting an hour for eaach course, no matter how hungry you are, and maybe having the soup arrive cold, but it still tastes great?

    You're okay if you want to eat and get to a show, or the date you're with wants to leave to go fuck, but you'd rather wait half an hour for the bread, another 1/2 hour for the soup or salad, and another hour for your slightly soggy, but delicious baked salmon?

    Have you ever wondered why they call it a service industry?
    Screaming Geriatric Dominoes Enter My Brain

  6. #6
    This is the same for the sushi restaurant I frequent in Victoria. They rarely smile when I come in and I have been going there for two years.

  7. #7
    In the United States, it is a culture of forgiveness and second chances.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1,281
    I'm curious why this is on your mind five years later?

    On the one hand your attitude appears to be "don't look back" but then you're looking back on not looking back.

    (Sorry this reads snarky and I don't mean it to. It's a genuine curiosity.)

  9. #9
    If the place is popular and reputed by people whose opinions I trust, Iím not going to write it off based on one service. Who knows what was going on there that night(too many possibilities) or if any of the staff who may have played a part in the poor service still even work there. Iíve had lousy and outstanding service at Via Tevere, a high end pizza restaurant, from the same waitress and Iím not taking it personally or writing them or her off.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Upstairs
    Posts
    3,959
    Quote Originally Posted by clu View Post
    I'm curious why this is on your mind five years later?

    On the one hand your attitude appears to be "don't look back" but then you're looking back on not looking back.

    (Sorry this reads snarky and I don't mean it to. It's a genuine curiosity.)
    I pass the place every day, and always wonder A- Why it seems to be doing well, and B - whether I should give it another chance.

    But as I said, there are so many restaurants in the area, I'm not really that motivated to bother with a place whose food didn't seem worth it. (The service issue could be written off for whatever reason, and probably no server from then is still working there).
    Screaming Geriatric Dominoes Enter My Brain

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1,281
    Quote Originally Posted by Cock Throppled View Post
    I pass the place every day, and always wonder A- Why it seems to be doing well, and B - whether I should give it another chance.

    But as I said, there are so many restaurants in the area, I'm not really that motivated to bother with a place whose food didn't seem worth it. (The service issue could be written off for whatever reason, and probably no server from then is still working there).
    Thanks for the answer. My honest feedback is that restaurants evolve a lot and five years is a long time. Lots of places I go to have had behind the scenes management changes several times which changes the tone. (Unfortunately one of my favourite dessert places seems to have a change of management for the worse recently.) You're under no obligation to keep some sort of pledge to yourself over it. If you've got fear of missing out, don't torture yourself and give it a shot. At least it'll help you decide if the next place that disappoints you is worth a second chance or not. Or not. It's your gullet.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim McGee View Post
    In the United States, it is a culture of forgiveness and second chances.
    So you are voting for Conald Chump again next fall? Just saying....
    At my age, they all look good and luckily there is a nerve that connects my eyes to my one-eyed monster.


    (, v ,)
    .) . (
    ( 'v' )

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    right behind you!
    Posts
    1,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cock Throppled View Post
    I pass the place every day, and always wonder A- Why it seems to be doing well, and B - whether I should give it another chance.

    But as I said, there are so many restaurants in the area, I'm not really that motivated to bother with a place whose food didn't seem worth it. (The service issue could be written off for whatever reason, and probably no server from then is still working there).

    Lets play devils advocate...
    Maybe the complaints made them notice the lack of customers.... or under new management?????


    I can handle bad service, (it doesn't bother me) and I realize that everyone has different taste.... I like spicy foods, one of my best friend hates it, so he would be upset if we went to a restaurant and they served him something spicy with-out warning.... I would like it... that said, depending on the food quality, I would go back and make sure I sat in another section, if that original service provider was there..... If the food was bad.... Sorry not going back....

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Cock Throppled View Post
    About five years ago four of us went to a higher end pizza place that had opened nearby. It had been open about six months by then, so the bugs should have shaken out.

    The service was horrible. Not only a ridicuous one hour wait for two pizzas, but indifferent, almost rude staff.

    The food was certainly nothing special, and was over-priced for what they claimed we were getting.

    As a result, we all decided the place wasn't worth it, and never went back, lthough it seems to be doing well without our business.

    As the saying goes, "You only get one chance to make a first impression."

    My feeling is there are a lot of choices out there, so why give the place a second try? The area is filled with restaurants of all types.

    Is that fair, or is there any reason to give them a second try? Would any of you?

    If they didn't impress you, don't go back. Second try, for consistency's sake? Sure, but don't feel guilty about not doing so.

    Real reputations should be built on quality. A restaurant that's expensive should have very good food and decent service, not make you just pay top dollar for their name, while the chef half-asses it, and the wait staff treat you like they don't care if they have your business or not.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Cock Throppled View Post
    One of the strangest comments I've seen.

    Might apply if you're home waiting for a delivery, but even then service can make or break a business.
    In Japan, their service is so fast, food is on your table in some restaurants in under 60 seconds. In addition to food being cheaper and of higher quality all around. It is an insult to tip in Japan

    I've had delivery that took 93 seconds from order to delivered to my door.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cock Throppled View Post

    You're okay waiting an hour for eaach course, no matter how hungry you are, and maybe having the soup arrive cold, but it still tastes great?
    In Germany, their service is so bad you may as well grab your own food from the counter. In fact, in many parts of the world, you do and you can get your own food.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cock Throppled View Post
    You're okay if you want to eat and get to a show, or the date you're with wants to leave to go fuck, but you'd rather wait half an hour for the bread, another 1/2 hour for the soup or salad, and another hour for your slightly soggy, but delicious baked salmon?

    Have you ever wondered why they call it a service industry?
    Canadian restaurants lack the service quality of fine-dining restaurants of Europe and Japan, the culinary traditions of most European and Asian countries, nor are servers particularly attentive for the wage they are compensated.

    Like I said, I couldn't give a shit less about service. Slap the food plate on a counter and I'll pick it up myself out of the kitchen. If I tip, it's for the chef, not for the 15 feet between the kitchen and my table.

    Face it - You're not going back to the pizza place MOSTLY because the food was not memorable. Between food and service, you're not picking service. You're picking food.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •