Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Being Rude To Telemarketers

My printer has a fax option. Not a lot of call for faxes these days but you can make it answer at a push of a button. Which I do. Cuts down on the spam calls. You get marked as a fax machine and they don't call back.

Quote Originally Posted by take8easy View Post
    You are Sybian, aren't you? Sounds like him anyways.
    Oh sure buddy.....give the Mods another reason to review my account.....
    If I had another account I'd come up with something less obvious....like Sybian2....or Sygetsbannedalot.

But thanks for remembering I don't, nor can have a phone.

Slutty slut
    My first job was as a telemarketer. I was 14 and heading downtown in winter after swim class and reading the scripts, "can we count on you for your support with BC Deaf Kids" or whatever.

Had a guy who thought that he would ask about me, where I'm calling from, "Oh, Vancouver? Do the mountains have snow? I bet there are lots of skiers and snowboarders." I knew he was trying to waste my time but, as someone who was just rereading the same script and going through the autocall system at 7pm on a Thursday night, I was fine with getting off topic for a minute and taking a microbreak.

I have immense respect for people who are just doing their jobs. I used to have that job. They're underpaid and overworked. They found a posting on CL and they're trying to make ends meet. And they might smell like chlorine.

Rinse repeat for fast food workers, line cooks, cab drivers, Home Depot greeters...

Quote Originally Posted by ElsiDawson View Post
    My first job was as a telemarketer. I was 14 and heading downtown in winter after swim class and reading the scripts, "can we count on you for your support with BC Deaf Kids" or whatever.

Had a guy who thought that he would ask about me, where I'm calling from, "Oh, Vancouver? Do the mountains have snow? I bet there are lots of skiers and snowboarders." I knew he was trying to waste my time but, as someone who was just rereading the same script and going through the autocall system at 7pm on a Thursday night, I was fine with getting off topic for a minute and taking a microbreak.

I have immense respect for people who are just doing their jobs. I used to have that job. They're underpaid and overworked. They found a posting on CL and they're trying to make ends meet. And they might smell like chlorine.

Rinse repeat for fast food workers, line cooks, cab drivers, Home Depot greeters...
    I can agree as long as they are not trying to defraud me. I get at least one, sometimes 2, calls a day from the "CRA" telling me this is my last chance to avoid being arrested and sent to jail. Those mother fuckers can go straight to hell as far as I am concerned.

JD

Always
    I ask them for their name and personal cell phone number.
    They usually ask me why.
    I say well I'm busy right now but I will call you back at a time convenient for me, and we can talk then.
    They will say something about how they don't want to do that.
    So I ask them why not.
    After all they called me when it was convenient for them, on my personal phone. So it should be fine to call them back at my convenience. It seems to get me removed from their call lists.
    Follow your dreams, because nobody else will do it for you!

Quote Originally Posted by ElsiDawson View Post
    My first job was as a telemarketer.
    [...]
    One of these things is not like the other. Of that list only telemarketers harass you and don't take no for an answer. I try to be polite and decline whatever random thing they're offering but their scripts are designed to trap polite people, so eventually the frustration has to come out. e.g. upon declining to switch to TELUS, "what don't you like to save money?" I'd answer "no" simply because I knew their script didn't have a response for that.

I know what you're saying about empathy for the worker, but there's a fine line here that doesn't exist with those other jobs you mention.

And I don't care how poor off the telemarketer is I absolutely cannot empathise with the ones who are perpetrating scams.

Quote Originally Posted by clu View Post
    I absolutely cannot empathise with the ones who are perpetrating scams.
    My point exactly! But I will give Elsi the benefit of the doubt and suggest she would agree with you on this point.

JD

Slutty slut
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDandy View Post
    My point exactly! But I will give Elsi the benefit of the doubt and suggest she would agree with you on this point.

JD
    You're head of relations from now on, JD. Bang on.. Collect one blowie.

Tom Mabe

for those of you that like to have some fun with Telemarketers.....

Tom Mabe

Tom calls Telemarketers at a Telemarketering convention..... Start at 1.25....

What I hate is the recorded ones that comes on after you answer the phone,there is a pause after u wasted your breath saying hello a couple of times then the recording starts,leaves me pissed knowing I got suckered again

Quote Originally Posted by sybian View Post
    Oh sure buddy.....give the Mods another reason to review my account.....
    If I had another account I'd come up with something less obvious....like Sybian2....or Sygetsbannedalot.

But thanks for remembering I don't, nor can have a phone.
    I know you have good sense of humor cowboy! Just in case you thought it otherwise, I said that as a joke my friend. (Mods please note)
    At my age, they all look good and luckily there is a nerve that connects my eyes to my one-eyed monster.

(, v ,)
    .) . (
    ( 'v' )

Always
    Quote Originally Posted by asma View Post
    What I hate is the recorded ones that comes on after you answer the phone,there is a pause after u wasted your breath saying hello a couple of times then the recording starts,leaves me pissed knowing I got suckered again
    I say hello once, if nobody responds within about a second, I've already hit the end call button.
    Follow your dreams, because nobody else will do it for you!

Beverly Hills. In the Kitchen eatin' vittles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Correct View Post
    I say hello once, if nobody responds within about a second, I've already hit the end call button.
    Occasionally if they speak up before I have a chance to hang up, if its a guy I cut them off and politely decline their offer. If it is a female, I get all creepy on her.
    "You sound nice, what do you look like?" "What are you wearing right now?" "Are you a dirty girl?"
    They hang up pretty quick. LOL!

Cheers
    J
    Y'all come back now,
    Y'hear?

Providing heavenly bliss 3" at a time since 1981
    If I don't recognize the number I let it go to the answering machine.
    Last edited by luvsdaty; 10-10-2019 at 03:23 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast