Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll finds 90% of Canadians have fallen for fake news

Poll finds 90% of Canadians have fallen for fake news

I think it's all this disinformation being shared and none of the outlets that enable it to be spread aren't doing anything to stop it. I mean 10 years ago I never knew there were people that believe the earth is flat, now not only have I come across people who believe this, but there are people who I knew were recently "converted" into believing this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathans View Post
    Poll finds 90% of Canadians have fallen for fake news
    I don't believe you.

Since a large percentage of the MSM has a political agenda, how do they not see this being an issue?
    Screaming Geriatric Dominoes Enter My Brain

Quote Originally Posted by clu View Post
    I don't believe you.
    I'm not falling for it ,either LOL!

Did you know about 77% of all statistics online are made up?

High Priestess
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathans View Post
    Society is actually getting smarter. I know, hard to believe, it was an eyebrow raiser for me when I first learned about it... Look up the Flynn Effect.
    Downtown Vancouver & Richmond
    604-618-5075 TEXT ONLY
    [email protected]
    Twitter @DeviousMissH

I fell for the Jeff Lynn (ELO and Travelling Wibury's) death hoax and the Morgan Freeman one. I make up a few of my own at work. The holes in swiss cheese come from it being shot by a gun. Holes get bigger because the bullet expands , the dark streaks when you slice it comes from the cordite being embedded in to the cheese. (actually just slicer not being cleaned properly) Billy Corgan worked in the produce dept at Walmart. One day he had a mental breakdown, grabbed a baseball bat and smashed a bunch of pumpkins. Someone said " great name for a band" the rest is history For some reason a lot of the rookie cooks no longer trust me LOL Its all in good fun though and no one gets hurt
    yesterdays got nothing for me
    pictures that ill always see
    I aint got time to reminisce on novelties

How would you know its fake news? You need some type of verification.

People start rumours all the time, just to see your reaction. So they turn to the internet and spread fake news, same thing.

All humans have told at least one lie. That makes everyone that ever lived a liar.....

its all fake because look at what doing to the just because eletions are coming making promise they will never keep learn that in alberta and ontario and bc to lies are game that play us to in power and make money big oil and envriomental to.

Quote Originally Posted by 80watts View Post
    How would you know its fake news? You need some type of verification.

People start rumours all the time, just to see your reaction. So they turn to the internet and spread fake news, same thing.

All humans have told at least one lie. That makes everyone that ever lived a liar.....
    The other side of that, how do you know what's not fake, or at the very least embellished? The history we teach in school is full of inaccuracies whether intentional or just because it is written and taught from a western point of view. When you think about it most of what we know is based on taking someone else's word for it. There is very little in our lives that we actually know first hand.
    However, most of what we call "news" today is simply gossip. Has no real value and really doesn't effect our lives in any way.

It's all fake to a certain degree. It usually depends on the source's agenda and amount of manipulation.

fake news? I wonder where we heard that term from first?

In this age of BEYOND internet. Take everything with a grain of salt and exercise
    that god given miracle you possess. YOUR BRAIN!!!
    Be aware of your surroundings. Don't let your surroundings possess you.
    You create your own horizons, nobody else.

So many peoples today have forgotten they have a brain or simply neglect to use its capabilities.
    ...Negativity destroys form and function. Or as we say in the arts,
    tension not only destroys quickness and movement but sensitivity as well...

The corporate media is very clever about the way they present things. It is usually based on an accepted world view, or political view that has been formed over many years, sometime decades. The newscasters that present it do so knowing they need to stick within certain boundaries of coverage to keep the advertisement coming in.

I remember Bill Good famously telling his audience numerous times when challenged by a caller about his towing the company line: "Nobody tells me what to say." He's right in the sense that he already knows what the boundaries are, or they wouldn't have hired him, and if he goes beyond those boundaries he won't have a job.

I think that is pretty much standard practice for the corporate media. I will give you another example locally of a person that fell out of favor and it went the other direction. Does anyone remember Rafe Mair? He was a talk show host for CKNW and a bit of a gruff old bastard, but very good at his job until he starting going after the fish farming industry, and other environmental issues, and became an unofficial spokesman for the Green Party. Suddenly it came out that he had been harassing woman around the water cooler during working hours, something he was probably doing, but they were willing to overlook as long as he was following their rules. He ended up getting fired while he still had one of the top rated shows in Canada.

So the moral to the story for me is: 'The Fake news is not about the stories they report, its about the stories they don't report', which to me is far more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Hunter View Post
    Society is actually getting smarter. I know, hard to believe, it was an eyebrow raiser for me when I first learned about it... Look up the Flynn Effect.
    Have you checked out the comments in social media about current events?

You can be intelligent but also lacking in common sense. Many people, intelligent or otherwise tend to believe what fits within their narrative. Ever try to reason with an "academic" that wanted evidence that water is wet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast