Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PHEV truck

PHEV truck

I’m getting a little tired of high gas prices but since I’m in construction I pretty much need a truck to haul tools, lumber and occasionally tow a trailer.

My 2007 Silverado 1500 4x4 is showing its age, but does have some good life left due to low km.

Often thought about getting something newer but also wanting to wait to see what comes out.

Sounds like Ford is the only one serious about a PHEV 1/2 ton truck.

A truck that could go 30-40 km on electric only, that has the same capabilities as my current ride would be freaking awesome! Working on the north shore means a lot of hills which would equal a lot of regenerative braking too!

Plug in at night at home and during the day while I work at the job site when I can would save me a lot of money per month!

I’d be down to get something like PHEV truck for sure!
    The new Silverado with the options I like goes for about $53k
    An equivalent with PHEV I’d be willing to spend up to $65k for sure!

I wouldn’t be a fan of full electric as I sometimes head out of town on extended trips or head into the bush!
    Last edited by westcoastrider1982; 05-25-2019 at 11:41 AM.

You don't have to be in just construction for getting a little tired of high gas prices.
    I think we all are.
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead.
    It is the same way when you are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydepth View Post
    Looks nice but I wonder if the range will go down as a real working truck...loaded...pulling ect ect
    When you are dead, you do not know that you are dead.
    It is the same way when you are stupid.

Really the practicality of it depends why people buy the truck / how they plan to use it: what (if anything) they want to haul, where they plan to take it, and under what conditions.

The whole field of available vehicles is changing so fast, maybe the OP should honestly wait a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastrider1982 View Post
    A truck that could go 30-40 km on electric only, that has the same capabilities as my current ride would be freaking awesome!
    do you mean after driving for 30-40kms that the batteries would be dry? That does not sound very awesome in my
    opinion with todays electric technologies or am I reading your stetements wrong sir?

If so yah I would go alongs with what rlock said and wait a while when something more better does
    come along.
    ...Negativity destroys form and function. Or as we say in the arts,
    tension not only destroys quickness and movement but sensitivity as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Sifupoon View Post
    do you mean after driving for 30-40kms that the batteries would be dry? That does not sound very awesome in my
    opinion with todays electric technologies or am I reading your stetements wrong sir?

If so yah I would go alongs with what rlock said and wait a while when something more better does
    come along.
    A lot of PHEV(Plug in hybrid electric vehicles) travel on electric only up to that range until the regular internal combustion engine takes over.
    The problem with adding more range equals increased cost and weight due to larger/more expensive batteries.
    For me personally 30-40km electric only works for me as my day is full of short trips between home, the job sites and lumber yard etc. With the thought of being able to plug in at the job site too to increase electric only driving. Most PHEV’s can be charged at a slower rate on 110v.
    I’m excited to see what Ford does with the PHEV F 150. Although I wouldn’t rush to buy it in the first year or two. I’m the type of guy that would wait to see how well it performs and how reliable it is etc.

The Rivian truck is the most highly anticipated. Heavy investment from top tier venture groups. After spending a couple weeks in Europe, in 4 different cities, I’m more convinced than ever that EV wave is unstoppable. I was blown away how many EVs are on the road and how many charging stations exist. They are way ahead of us, but we’ll catch up. I’ll be so glad when we stop talking about range as an issue. Most brand new models have +300km range, which is plenty for 99% of all trips.

I’m test driving a new 2019 Audi Q5 eTron in a few days. I’ll report back on my impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    The Rivian truck is the most highly anticipated. Heavy investment from top tier venture groups. After spending a couple weeks in Europe, in 4 different cities, I’m more convinced than ever that EV wave is unstoppable. I was blown away how many EVs are on the road and how many charging stations exist. They are way ahead of us, but we’ll catch up. I’ll be so glad when we stop talking about range as an issue. Most brand new models have +300km range, which is plenty for 99% of all trips.

I’m test driving a new 2019 Audi Q5 eTron in a few days. I’ll report back on my impressions
    You can drive an entire country in two hours in Europe, here it could be more than two hours between yard lights. I wouldn't want to be stranded in a blizzard. Someday we may get the technology.
    Last edited by jgg; 05-24-2019 at 07:51 PM. Reason: typo
    Even though there are days I wish I could change some things that happened in the past, there’s a reason the rear view mirror is so small and the windshield is so big, where you’re headed is much more important than what you’ve left behind.

The workhorse looks like an interesting hybrid. About 130km range full electric and over 500 km between gas fills.

here's a realistic look at what's possibly coming

https://driving.ca/gmc/sierra/featur...pickup-segment

A lot of PHEV(Plug in hybrid electric vehicles) travel on electric only up to that range until the regular internal combustion engine takes over.
    The problem with adding more range equals increased cost and weight due to larger/more expensive batteries.
    For me personally 30-40km electric only works for me as my day is full of short trips between home, the job sites and lumber yard etc. With the thought of being able to plug in at the job site too to increase electric only driving. Most PHEV’s can be charged at a slower rate on 110v.
    I’m excited to see what Ford does with the PHEV F 150. Although I wouldn’t rush to buy it in the first year or two. I’m the type of guy that would wait to see how well it performs and how reliable it is etc.
    I can see in your situation how that would work. Could be extremely economical just shooting back and forth within
    short distances and being able to plug in each time. Sure beats the heck outta paying for gasoline all that whiles.
    ...Negativity destroys form and function. Or as we say in the arts,
    tension not only destroys quickness and movement but sensitivity as well...

Quote Originally Posted by overdone View Post
    here's a realistic look at what's possibly coming

https://driving.ca/gmc/sierra/featur...pickup-segment
    It’s interesting to see how these start-up companies are coming to the table. I’d personally be skeptical about purchasing a vehicle like that. However look at the success of Tesla!
    It’s also interesting to see that there’s mention about GM as I thought they weren’t interested in the EV truck thing. Although the article mentioned that they’re in more of a “Wait and See” phase. Funny how websites and claims contradict each other.

I was also reading on another website that the reason the Big Three weren’t in a rush to put out EV trucks was because despite the fact gas prices are forever going up, pickup truck sales haven’t slowed! People still like their big trucks wether they need them or not!

Think the smartest thing to do is play the waiting game on a new truck to see what comes out. My current truck has plenty of life left and hopefully any repairs are minor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sifupoon View Post
    I can see in your situation how that would work. Could be extremely economical just shooting back and forth within
    short distances and being able to plug in each time. Sure beats the heck outta paying for gasoline all that whiles.

Totally!
    I went through about 275 litres of fuel last month despite living close to work. Going to a couple job sites a day, back and forth to the lumber yard, up and down North Shore hills eats away a lot of fuel and brakes. 2 things Hybrids are great for, saving fuel, and conventional brakes by using regenerative braking instead.

Totally!
    I went through about 275 litres of fuel last month despite living close to work. Going to a couple job sites a day, back and forth to the lumber yard, up and down North Shore hills eats away a lot of fuel and brakes. 2 things Hybrids are great for, saving fuel, and conventional brakes by using regenerative braking instead.
    Yep. I do about 400 liters per month on average. That's why I'm taking a serious look at hybrids and EV's.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast