Massage Adagio

Gas prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimDandy

May 17, 2004
Lower Mainland, B.C.
https://globalnews.ca/tag/gas-price...wsletterBc&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=2019

I drove up to Whistler yesterday for another fantastic day of spring skiing and when I reached Squamish I was running on fumes. I stopped at the native run gas station on the right hand side of the highway just as you are entering Squamish. The price of gas was $1.389/liter - much cheaper than Vancouver which I believe was already above $1.60/liter by then. And while there, I purchased a large coffee (very good btw) and a pastry for $2.21. I suspect I would have paid double that at Tims and the coffee would not have been as good. The lady working the till was super friendly and she was the one that let me know about their coffee, any size, and pastry special that I took advantage of. I highly recommend this business!

JD

storm rider

Banned
Dec 6, 2008
Calgary
Own a truck.....buy a tidy tank.....fill up across the line for 400 litres in the USA.....buy a single pack of smokes as well as eggs/butter/milk/cheese etc.......and definatly buy a shitload of Payday bars....you cant get them in Canada.

SR

jgg

In the air again.
Apr 14, 2015
Varies now

Hugh Jass

Banned
May 11, 2015
Cheapest prices you can find locally seem to be in Langley in stations close to the Costco. They usually match prices with Costco and you dont have a long wait if you go to the Safeway gas station or some of the Chevrons and Husky's on Fraser Highway. I filled up for 141.9 there on Wednesday at the Safeway. Also the closest Husky to me in Surrey was 151.9 today while it appeared the Chevrons etc. were at 168.9.

storm rider

Banned
Dec 6, 2008
Calgary
Get ready for it to be even worse when I come to think about it.Come Tuesday it is the Provincial Election and the heavy fave is Jason Kenny.In advance polls it is pretty much the largest landslide in Alberta's history.Last election's advance vote was 235,000 and this election it was 638,000.......that is a voice of CHANGE.

If or should I say WHEN Jason Kenny wins and is Alberta's new Premier he is taking off the gloves.The legislation that Notley passed but never ENACTED will be brought into play.Kenny will turn off the proverbial "taps" and the already existing pipeline that is there and the limited refinery not to mention the tank farm will run dry.

SR

Sifupoon

Jan 24, 2019
In softness, strength.
so albertans will vote pc again it seems. Do they think that will make the price of oil go up?
Good luck. In the meantime while Kenny turns off the taps he will have to increase taxes to make up
for billions in further lost revenue. So you get ready for that one!!
Gauranteed when the next 4 year election comes and the price of oil is still what it is today
or less your Kenny will be voted out just like almost 4 years ago when the price of oil was bust and the albertan
voters blamed the pc govt for the recession and that by voting in the ndp.

That move never increased the price of oil either, did it?

tantalus

Mar 6, 2011
Is there any member of PERB who can dispel or affirm this common rumour/idea/myth/urban wisdom: in the final analysis, the oil companies are in control of oil pricing and manipulate it at their will, and in conference with other oil companies. All of the explanations and excuses for high and fluctuating prices are a smoke screen.

Imagine if the price of milk or any other frequently bought commodity fluctuated in the same way.

My undergraduate degree is in economics (and from a good school) and I can’t figure it out. All explanations seem like red herrings.

Perhaps a PERB member who has worked high up, inside the industry can chip in.

JimDandy

May 17, 2004
Lower Mainland, B.C.
Is there any member of PERB who can dispel or affirm this common rumour/idea/myth/urban wisdom: in the final analysis, the oil companies are in control of oil pricing and manipulate it at their will, and in conference with other oil companies. All of the explanations and excuses for high and fluctuating prices are a smoke screen.

Imagine if the price of milk or any other frequently bought commodity fluctuated in the same way.

My undergraduate degree is in economics (and from a good school) and I can’t figure it out. All explanations seem like red herrings.

I do not know about the price of gas, but the price of milk, which you mentioned, is stable thanks to the Milk Marketing Board and supply management. In most other countries, like the USA for example, they do not have supply management and the price of milk goes up and down like a yoyo, based on how much supply there is. And every few years Willy Nelson has to put on his free concerts to help out farmers going bankrupt due to oversupply of milk. I also recall farmers in Canada being able to buy dairy cows very cheap from the USA that had a tattoo on their forehead which were no longer allowed to be used to produce milk in the USA. These cows had been essentially been sold to the US government by farmers with too much milk and then tattooed to ensure to that they were not just bought by another US farmer to produce milk and therefore not actually reduce the supply of milk.

I know some provinces in Canada have price management in regards to gas:

http://www.nbeub.ca/images/documents/petroleum_pricing/currentmaximumpriceenglish.pdf

We should do the same here in BC !

JD

appleomac

Aug 9, 2010

You have an economics degree: it's all supply and demand. OPEC controls well over a third of the world's production of oil, so certainly the supply side is subject to manipulation. Even interest rates, in theory, could potentially effect the price of oil if you understand (and having an economics degree you should) how interest rates and capital expenditures are related. Geopolitical issues (especially in the Middle East) also play a role in oil prices.

steverino

Feb 15, 2004
Government controls the portion of gas prices that is attributable to the taxes they apply.

80watts

Banned
May 20, 2004
Victoria
As long as fracking oil in the US continues, the world price will be down.... With the world price down shit like Venuzula happens...

Alberta price for its oil is because it has a huge inventory it can't get to market. There fore the price is low.....

Turning off the taps to BC, wow that would be stupid economically for Alberta...

But then all Albertans are stupid on this subject. Look at the Norway TRILLION dollar fund vs Alberta Heritage Fund..... Thats 1,000,000,000,000.00 vs maybe 1,000,000,000.00, (or is that zero now) instead of paying for it in taxes (provincial and other taxes) Albertans decided to give themselves a tax break (no sales tax) in the 1960s.... Now they have no jobs and are hurting compared to the Norweigans.... LACK of FUCKING PLANNING

So all you smart asses; when oil hits it top price in 2013/14, how much was gas at the pump? So now with oil at less than half the price of oil in 2013/14, how come gas is more now at the pump?

PEOPLE ARE FUCKING STUPID!
why?
You save for your retirement, get a nice nest-egg going, that you save all your life for...... retirement and it won't be enough..... (So they have to depend on Old Age and CPP. Which more than over half the retirement people are living on (ballpark), with most of that money (over 90%) going to the retirement home they are in.....) Yeah that's quality of LIFE....

why shouldn't governments do the same..... (Look at Norway they have a very nice nest-egg). unfortuneatly people here in Canada don't like taxes, won't allow governments to have surplus tax money to save a nest-egg for future generations... I mean come-on, past governmnets have made provincial and national parks, why can't they do that with money.... invest in the future....

Original gas taxes were supposed to go for maintaining highways and roads, now its general revenue...

GST was to balance and pay down national debt, now its general revenue..

You see a trend here.....

None of that surplus money was put to the future of Canadians...

appleomac

Aug 9, 2010
As long as fracking oil in the US continues, the world price will be down.... With the world price down shit like Venuzula happens...

Alberta price for its oil is because it has a huge inventory it can't get to market. There fore the price is low.....

Turning off the taps to BC, wow that would be stupid economically for Alberta...

But then all Albertans are stupid on this subject. Look at the Norway TRILLION dollar fund vs Alberta Heritage Fund..... Thats 1,000,000,000,000.00 vs maybe 1,000,000,000.00, (or is that zero now) instead of paying for it in taxes (provincial and other taxes) Albertans decided to give themselves a tax break (no sales tax) in the 1960s.... Now they have no jobs and are hurting compared to the Norweigans.... LACK of FUCKING PLANNING

So all you smart asses; when oil hits it top price in 2013/14, how much was gas at the pump? So now with oil at less than half the price of oil in 2013/14, how come gas is more now at the pump?

why?
You save for your retirement, get a nice nest-egg going, that you save all your life for...... retirement and it won't be enough..... (So they have to depend on Old Age and CPP. Which more than over half the retirement people are living on (ballpark), with most of that money (over 90%) going to the retirement home they are in.....) Yeah that's quality of LIFE....

why shouldn't governments do the same..... (Look at Norway they have a very nice nest-egg). unfortuneatly people here in Canada don't like taxes, won't allow governments to have surplus tax money to save a nest-egg for future generations... I mean come-on, past governmnets have made provincial and national parks, why can't they do that with money.... invest in the future....

Original gas taxes were supposed to go for maintaining highways and roads, now its general revenue...

US oil fracking is not the reason for low oil prices. If US oil fracking was the sole reason for low oil prices why was oil over $100 a barrel in 2013/early 2014 while the US was fracking for oil?

And Norway nationalized it's oil production in the 70's, which is why the profits of its oil production goes to Norway's sovereign wealth fund. In Canada oil production is undertaken by private enterprise. Thus the profits from oil production in Canada goes to the companies that produce the oil. You are literally comparing apples to oranges. If you want to make an apples to apples comparison, why not compare the profits from Canadian oil production in the same period (i.e. Since the 70's). I suspect the aggregate profits of Canadian oil production since the 70's would also be a staggeringly large number.

storm rider

Banned
Dec 6, 2008
Calgary

why?

Yeah huge detail to mention....Norway has not had 400+ BILLION dollars shaved off it's oil & gas revenues for 60+ years to pay for "have not" Provinces or to the Lieberal Pandering to Quebec.Alberta and it's resources have channeled VAST amounts of money to Ottawa and between the NEP and now the NEP 2.0 under the second Trudeau were are getting kicked in the teeth.

SR

appleomac

Aug 9, 2010
https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/fuel-prices/4593

I suggest start with the fuel focus reports and then move on to individual prices and graphs. You'll see a pretty tight correlation between crude prices and gasoline prices. Perhaps instead of hurling insults you should actually do some research. You seem to fall into the trap of bias towards recent events; that is, you only see the price at the pump going up without considering what's happening long term. The stock market is the same way; people freak out over daily ups and downs and never consider that there will always be short term volatility around a long term trend.

Deguire

Aug 23, 2018
Kits
I read an analysis last week of why our gas prices are so high. The laws of supply and demand have never been repealed. So here's the supply situation: there is only one small refinery in B.C. There used to be four but three closed down. Brilliant! There's a pipeline from the Edmonton area but it's going flat out and can't pump any more. So we import from Washington State which has the highest gas prices in the U.S. Ah, but two of their four refineries are down due to maintenance. And before you trash the oil majors, I was talking to somebody from a head office in Calgary who told me that the majors (e.g. Shell, Esso) don't make money on retail. I have no way of knowing if that is true but he is in the business and I do see gas stations closing down all over the place.

overdone

Apr 26, 2007

But then all Albertans are stupid on this subject. Look at the Norway TRILLION dollar fund vs Alberta Heritage Fund..... Thats 1,000,000,000,000.00 vs maybe 1,000,000,000.00, (or is that zero now) instead of paying for it in taxes (provincial and other taxes) Albertans decided to give themselves a tax break (no sales tax) in the 1960s.... Now they have no jobs and are hurting compared to the Norweigans.... LACK of FUCKING PLANNING.

really? look at what the recent cut did for the spread, that was just for 300,000bbd

we cut you off, temporary, you'll be begging for our oil

hopefully we will see

not to mention, pain, yeah, 10+yrs, 4 really bad ones, what's 6 months

oh, it's $2+ gas for BC, hopefully $4, lol

Norway is a country, with barely 5 million

Alberta has been attached to a parasite called Canada since the 60's

if we weren't sending money to the Feds, we'd have easily been able to save 5-600 billion too

give us back the 200B over the last 10 yrs, we'll start with that

And before you trash the oil majors, I was talking to somebody from a head office in Calgary who told me that the majors (e.g. Shell, Esso) don't make money on retail.
sure, that's why they never seem to make a profit

the margins might not be large, but there are profits

the refineries make a profit too, look at the Parkland one, owned by an Alberta co, the main one in BC

you really think the oil companies are too stupid to make money?

take the taxes off, just like booze, it would be more than reasonable to buy

storm rider

Banned
Dec 6, 2008
Calgary
US FILLED “tidy tank” is taxed at the border correct, or is it just jerry cans?
I lived in Chilliwack/Abottsford/Mission for a number of years and I never had any Customs agents try to tax me for fuel.They are interested in smokes and alcohol as well as large consumer purchases that go over the amounts of duty free within a time frame.When you go across the line the last thing the US customs agent is going to ask is the level of your gas tank.Come back across with that full tank or a slip tank/tidy tank etc......can the Canadian Customs agent PROVE it was empty when you entered the USA?No way he can so there is no basis to tax you on it.

SR

storm rider

Banned
Dec 6, 2008
Calgary
really? look at what the recent cut did for the spread, that was just for 300,000bbd

we cut you off, temporary, you'll be begging for our oil

hopefully we will see

not to mention, pain, yeah, 10+yrs, 4 really bad ones, what's 6 months

oh, it's $2+ gas for BC, hopefully $4, lol

Norway is a country, with barely 5 million

Alberta has been attached to a parasite called Canada since the 60's

if we weren't sending money to the Feds, we'd have easily been able to save 5-600 billion too

give us back the 200B over the last 10 yrs, we'll start with that

sure, that's why they never seem to make a profit

the margins might not be large, but there are profits

the refineries make a profit too, look at the Parkland one, owned by an Alberta co, the main one in BC

you really think the oil companies are too stupid to make money?

take the taxes off, just like booze, it would be more than reasonable to buy
I like the way you think and offer you a high five Sir.

With regards to the "Sales Tax" that was mentioned that you did not address one of the good things Ralph Klein did do was to pass legislation that if the Alberta Government wants to implement a Sales Tax it MUST hold a referendum and allow Albertan's to vote on it.That is why Notley legislated a "Carbon Tax"....it is just as broad and sadly the GST is tacked right on top of it as it is a "levy" and it does nothing to reduce emissions.

Today Albertan's go to the polls as the hustings is at an end.This election will not see the Conservative vote split nor will the NDP get the benefit of a protest vote gone wrong.With a UCP Government in Alberta it will be a HUGE thorn in the gut of Trudeau in the coming Federal election and with LAVSCAM still alive and kicking not to mention the shitstorm of the Mark Norman court case the "sunny ways" professed by Trudeau have some seriously dark storm clouds on the horizon at their own making.

SR

sybian

Dec 23, 2014
Kamloops B.C.
I do not know about the price of gas, but the price of milk, which you mentioned, is stable thanks to the Milk Marketing Board and supply management. In most other countries, like the USA for example, they do not have supply management and the price of milk goes up and down like a yoyo, based on how much supply there is. And every few years Willy Nelson has to put on his free concerts to help out farmers going bankrupt due to oversupply of milk. I also recall farmers in Canada being able to buy dairy cows very cheap from the USA that had a tattoo on their forehead which were no longer allowed to be used to produce milk in the USA. These cows had been essentially been sold to the US government by farmers with too much milk and then tattooed to ensure to that they were not just bought by another US farmer to produce milk and therefore not actually reduce the supply of milk.

I know some provinces in Canada have price management in regards to gas:

http://www.nbeub.ca/images/documents/petroleum_pricing/currentmaximumpriceenglish.pdf

We should do the same here in BC !

JD
If you talk to almost any Washington state Farmer right now that's loosing his farm because he produces milk....Over 90% of them want a Canadian style quota system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vancouver Escorts