racism

sevenofnine

Nov 21, 2008
thinking a lot about racism these days,
in part because black lives matters and the on going feud between the two mp's in parliament,

and me being this entitled white guy,

how prevalent do you think it is
and curious is there like micro racism,
comments like rice burner, etc, is that racism
having a bird because the safeway has halalah meat

I must admit growing up, we were all white, I was born in the 50.s ok and everyone was white.
seeing my first turban, was an experience,
I bought a house early on, and it was a white neighbourhood,
now im one of the few white guys in this neighbourhood, and it has been an eye opener,
just my own sensibilities
I remember going to vote, and out of hundreds of people I was the only white guy,
the odd time I catch the bus, I am the only white guy

talking to some Christians guys once they were going on about we have to stop
all the immigrants we have to,
I kind of just looked, he gave me a snooty sort of remark, you want them as neighbours
I told them they all ready are my neighbour's,

walking the dog at night, I hear and see many and I mean
many different languages and cultures ,
and I have to admit, at first it was a shock, an assault on my sensibilities
but we wave smile say hi, exchange a few words.
you know it actually is kind of nice,

all the comments from people I wouldn't live there, and people freaking out because the safeway has halala meat,
are we really as non racist as we think we are,

even black people going on all the time about being black,

to me it seems unless your totally colour blind your a racist,
you see a person, just a person not a black person a white person or what ever, they are just a person
even your self, im not a white person, or a person of colour
im just a person going about my life,

unless your total blind to colour or race, you kind of are, a racist
even all those well intentioned people who never shut up about their black experience,

we were talking about Ramadan it ended yesterday
hey those guys can finally eat, I said
and some hindu guy mumbled something about bombing their synagogue or mosque what ever they use,

I really don't believe were anywhere near as inclusive as a society
and holding hands and singing kom bi ya my lord kom bi ya
as we want to pretend we are,

I don't really get why some people have to ruin a good thing, and bring in race,

clu

Oct 3, 2010
Vancouver
What does "rice burner" even mean? I've never heard that expression before and now it turns up in two different posts here in the same day.

Anyway racism is such a bizarre concept to me. Hair colour, eye colour, skin colour, height, etc. are just random attributes. If a cat or dog is a different colour we don't even give it a second thought. Calling a black cat a different race than a tabby would sound banal.

Still, humans are a tribal species, distrusting of the "other", and at some point in our history we decided that we could identify other tribes by skin colour. Only with globalisation there's no longer a strong correlation between genetics, geography, and/or culture anymore. But our brains don't evolve fast enough and so we're stuck with these outmoded and flawed methods of summary judgment.

Not to mention that these "other tribes" are not so different than our own to begin with. But still we have some people in every one of our tribes who don't have the brain power to conceive beyond that superficial judgment that got etched into our primal brains, and so we're stuck with modern practitioners of these primitive concepts, be it ISIS or white supremists.

Mrmotorscooter

Dec 19, 2017
Rice burner was an old 60's term for a vehicle car or motorcycle made in Japan. I wonder about the racist labels thrown about these days as well, remember the first kid to come to our school in about 1967 with a Turban on his head. We thought that was really quite special, hey we got a Kid with a turban on his head going to our school. That same school now has about 1700 students and only a handful of them are white and its been 50 years. How times change, personally I can get along with anyone but I find some are quick to call racist. The only thing I can recognize is an asshole, if you are an asshole doesn't matter what race you are that will be your big problem not racism!

ddcanz

curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2012
right here and now
A rice burner is a fucking vehicle- a tuned J or K car or motorcycle.
WTF- nothing to do with racism.
I made the comment in the other thread- linking rice burners to shithead punks that dump their MacDonald's garbage out of their vehicles into the street.
Lighten the fuck up, already.

Ray

Dec 21, 2005
vancouver
Back in the 80s, we referred to Japanese cars that were tuned for performance as 'rice burners'. Nothing to do with racism, it referred to the cars, not their drivers, who were often white.

Those of us that drove Mustangs, Camaros, Mopars, looked down on imports.

ddcanz

curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2012
right here and now
Back in the 80s, we referred to Japanese cars that were tuned for performance as 'rice burners'. Nothing to do with racism, it referred to the cars, not their drivers, who were often white.

Those of us that drove Mustangs, Camaros, Mopars, looked down on imports.
Yes- exactly this!

storm rider

Banned
Dec 6, 2008
Calgary
I am PROUD to be Yellow says an Asian and it is OK

I am PROUD to be Black says an African and it is OK

I am PROUD to be Brown says an Indian and it is OK

I am PROUD to be White says a White man and he is branded as a racist.

All thanks to Political Correctness over the course of 40 years and now it is expanding at at even faster rate with the crapulence over LGBTQ rights....pretty soon White heterosexual people who believe in Christianity will be stoned in the streets due to Political Correctness and the pandering to special interest groups.

Take a look at the UK and how that country is grappling with the problem of Muslim extremists......point that out Like Tommy Robinson has done and you are a Nazi/Racist/Far Right Racist/Fascist and so on and so forth.

Political Correctness has gone to far and the scale is vastly unbalanced.There should be harmony instead there is discord and the movement is pushing Society further to the Left of the political spectrum.....and those on the Left are so INTOLERANT to any view than their own it is fucking disgusting by any rational thought.

SR

masterblaster

May 19, 2004
My grandfather was a proud member of the Orange Lodge. Their membership requirements I expect would be considered racist in today's world. So far as I understand it was non-Protestant, non-whites need not apply.

clu

Oct 3, 2010
Vancouver
Storm Rider: You're sounding like the guy who stubbed his toe and demands to be seen ahead of everyone else in the ER. If you think as a white heterosexual male, even in the most leftist, politically correct climate, you've now totally switched places in terms of oppression with the rest ("scales tipped too far the other way"?!) you are woefully uninformed, most likely wilfully so.

It's like the so called War on Christmas: there isn't one. But for some people it seems too much to bear that we have to share the world and the goddamned spotlight.

LalaniElectrica

Oct 1, 2010
Nanaimo
Omg I know!!! You have so many interesting insights.

Definitely something I've thought of before. Why can we not view other human beings as other human beings? There is too much focus on what makes us different when we still eat the same Corn Flakes and watch the same shows and share the same humour. Are we, as a species, past pulling the race card yet?? When we can look in any community and find people of mixed races which in some point in history were feuding with each other. How many of us are mixed with Scottish-English?? Interesting because the Brits Exiled many Scottish during the 1700-1800's and now lots of British-scottish people have mixed. Then look at the Metis-French and Native mixed... Many Canadians are Metis. How many WASP-Canadian born people have children who have married another culture?? In Toronto where I am visiting, there are many many multi ethnic couples and they are naturally going about their lives without racism. They are happy, they are in love. Love has has no borders. Everyone needs affection no matter what their Ethnicity or religious belief. When I was little I always thought about other cultures with awe and fascination and from that time I knew not to judge people by their skin colour or body type etc, that we are born as pure and innocent beings and everyone has a beautiful soul capable of amazing things.

I avoid BLM because of ties to terrorist organizations and they are a very racist group, and not all Black folks have the same agenda. Most of my mature black friends think it's all terrorist groups looking for loyalty with the youth and recruiting. They also associate all white people with slavery, when in Canada it's never been legal and many Canadians helped free African slaves, so the arguments in the US do not apply in Canada and the politics are the exact opposite. Black people were always free people as soon as they entered our country from the first step, they could work, they could vote and they could own property like any other human being. The interesting thing is much of Canada at that time was French Scottish and Aboriginal, even though canada was part of the Commonwealth, the French Scots and native had HUGE beef with the British Monarchy, so it's not surprising that African slaves were smuggled into Canada and welcomed with open arms... The Scotts and Natives had gone thru Centuries of cruelty under British Rule... The French were also colonialists so a different experience... Similarily, I would never support a group like the KKK for the same reasons... Well, maybe more like I disagree with every opinion they have on people from other ethnicities so much, I'd probably start punching people out. They are so racist and intolerant it's mind boggling people still are part of that group...

The bigger the world gets with more population, the more people will mix and mingle. Make friends with your neighbours, you could be surprised that even though someone is wearing a turban, they can still crack a joke and share a smile. Even if a person has a different skin colour, they may still save you from walking into the street while a car is running a red light. Be careful because the person you thought would stab you in the back, could turn out to be the person who saves your life or becomes your best friend.

Omg people are still going off about Halal meat? Get over it! I ate Halal a lot in toronto, there is no problem having halal meat available, it's like Kosher meat and slaughtered a certain way according to ancient cultural traditions. No one says anything about Kosher meat etc. There is not one thing wrong with Halal meat, I actually have preferred buying Halal over non-halal whenever possible because I know they slaughter the animal properly.

thinking a lot about racism these days,
in part because black lives matters and the on going feud between the two mp's in parliament,

and me being this entitled white guy,

how prevalent do you think it is
and curious is there like micro racism,
comments like rice burner, etc, is that racism
having a bird because the safeway has halalah meat

I must admit growing up, we were all white, I was born in the 50.s ok and everyone was white.
seeing my first turban, was an experience,
I bought a house early on, and it was a white neighbourhood,
now im one of the few white guys in this neighbourhood, and it has been an eye opener,
just my own sensibilities
I remember going to vote, and out of hundreds of people I was the only white guy,
the odd time I catch the bus, I am the only white guy

talking to some Christians guys once they were going on about we have to stop
all the immigrants we have to,
I kind of just looked, he gave me a snooty sort of remark, you want them as neighbours
I told them they all ready are my neighbour's,

walking the dog at night, I hear and see many and I mean
many different languages and cultures ,
and I have to admit, at first it was a shock, an assault on my sensibilities
but we wave smile say hi, exchange a few words.
you know it actually is kind of nice,

all the comments from people I wouldn't live there, and people freaking out because the safeway has halala meat,
are we really as non racist as we think we are,

even black people going on all the time about being black,

to me it seems unless your totally colour blind your a racist,
you see a person, just a person not a black person a white person or what ever, they are just a person
even your self, im not a white person, or a person of colour
im just a person going about my life,

unless your total blind to colour or race, you kind of are, a racist
even all those well intentioned people who never shut up about their black experience,

we were talking about Ramadan it ended yesterday
hey those guys can finally eat, I said
and some hindu guy mumbled something about bombing their synagogue or mosque what ever they use,

I really don't believe were anywhere near as inclusive as a society
and holding hands and singing kom bi ya my lord kom bi ya
as we want to pretend we are,

I don't really get why some people have to ruin a good thing, and bring in race,

sevenofnine

Nov 21, 2008
british writer hanif kuerishi

says racism is more prevalent in the middleclass then ever before,

I real don't know why, but I agree with him,
in this information age, at a time where everything is available at your fingertips,

we are like an ostrich with our heads stuck in the sand when it comes to religion, race, culture, sex.

no one really wants to admit there racist, but when you have a melt down in a store over halal meat what are you,

we know racism is wrong yet it exist and it seems stronger then ever,

ddcanz

curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2012
right here and now
The only thing I can recognize is an asshole, if you are an asshole doesn't matter what race you are that will be your big problem not racism!
Agreed- an asshole is an asshole- regardless of ethnicity or what have you.
I worked as a bartender at a gay dance club back in the late 80s.
One particularly obnoxious patron was put on my ignore list as he stood at the bar yammering his BS to anyone and everyone. I kept him waiting for service.
He chimed that I was homophobic for not attending to him.
I told him that he wasn't getting service because he was a complete asshole- gay or straight didn't make a difference- and he could fuck off and cry to the floor manager or just leave if he didn't like it. He chose to go and cry- and got marched directly out the door for his troubles anyway.

take8easy

Jul 27, 2014
Discrimination happens at every level in every country. It is a human tendency to prefer people who are of his or her origin. (what's that saying about chickens of the same colors playing together)...: Anyway, Is it wrong? Well, yea it is... especially if it makes one do stupid things and if it affects your behavior towards people with different backgrounds.

What's interesting is 'reverse racism'! When minorities start to have hateful attitude towards majority because, in their opinion, the majority is racist.

At the end of the day, we just have to learn to get along. But if we are aiming for an era that is "Racism and Discrimination Free", then keep waiting. But yes, we can certainly learn to be more tolerant.

As far as I am concerned, I am racism free, at least in this hobby. :)

T8E

storm rider

Banned
Dec 6, 2008
Calgary
Storm Rider: You're sounding like the guy who stubbed his toe and demands to be seen ahead of everyone else in the ER. If you think as a white heterosexual male, even in the most leftist, politically correct climate, you've now totally switched places in terms of oppression with the rest ("scales tipped too far the other way"?!) you are woefully uninformed, most likely wilfully so.

It's like the so called War on Christmas: there isn't one. But for some people it seems too much to bear that we have to share the world and the goddamned spotlight.
You are so off the target/mark it is off the scale.How Society appeases special interest groups has been on the rise for decades.Back when I was a kid and I went to the dentist the regular reading material as "Bedtime Stories" by Chester A Arthur and those books were Christian leaning.......fuck sakes if THOSE books were put out for reading material even 10 years ago as common practice there would be a REVOLT.....how dare a dentist provide Christian reading material in his waiting area.....if done NOW that dentist would be PROTESTED by SJW's and the like....he might even have his dental office fire bombed by INTOLERANT Leftists.

When I was a kid the fave insult was to call a guy a "fag".....cant do that now thanks to Social Engineering via the education system that is brain washing kids into Lieberals before they can vote.Did calling a friend a "fag" turn him into a "fag"...nope....if he scored my fave marble on the play ground after school and he called me a "fag" did it make me a "fag"....no it did not....it was just a word....uttered all of the time...same as a lot of other meaningless "words".

All I can say is Society in general has gone down the toilet in general for far too long.People walk on eggshells because they are afraid to speak their mind.

I for one will say what I feel and it will not be glossed over by Political Correctness.

SR

ddcanz

curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2012
right here and now
When I was a kid the fave insult was to call a guy a "fag".....cant do that now thanks to Social Engineering via the education system that is brain washing kids into Lieberals before they can vote.Did calling a friend a "fag" turn him into a "fag"...nope....if he scored my fave marble on the play ground after school and he called me a "fag" did it make me a "fag"....no it did not....it was just a word....uttered all of the time...same as a lot of other meaningless "words".
Just....fucking.....wow...….
Do you even hear yourself?
..meaningless "words"? To who? You?
Sorry bud- Lieberal brainwashing has nothing to do with it.
Certain terminology is simply not acceptable. What once might have been common jargon doesn't play today. It has nothing to do with PC.
Would you be OK with your kids calling someone a fag at school? On the ice? On the diamond? On the pitch?
Or is it just about buddies using it amongst themselves so that's OK?
"Steve- you big fucking fag! Why you being such a 'mo? Ooops! Sorry Bruce- didn't see you standing there...no offence man"
Right.

sevenofnine

Nov 21, 2008
in this day and age,
almost any comment about a persons race religion or sexuality can be interpreted as racist,

I remember a picture in the Vancouver sun I believe
a group of men, member of a sports team,
the article was referring to one of them specifically,
and the comment was he is the black guy,
it caused a stir, referring to a black guy as a black guy,

I didn't get it still don't
but some people thought it unacceptable,

language is interesting and can be very demeaning and degrading.
keep referring to one of our fair ladies as a whore, and see how far you get,

words are not just words, there meaning changes with time, and can be very hurtful and insulting even
retard for example.
nigger squaw
squaw was a term of respect at one time, now it is very derogatory

take8easy

Jul 27, 2014
WARNING

walk carefully, egg shells ahead.

johnnydepth

Average Sized Member
Nov 14, 2015
winnipeg
It is interesting that whenever this topic comes up it is met with such heated debate. I believe this is because it has been kept at the forefront in our society and because Canada and the U.S. are so diverse culturally. Having traveled all over the world and spending long periods of time in various countries I can say Canada and the U.S. are two of the least racist countries in the world. I feel that lack of diversity in many other countries leads to a much bigger us versus them mentality. If you discuss a topic like racism in Japan, for example, it doesn't register as inappropriate; Japan is better than everyone else. Same throughout Asia, Middle East, etc... And you don't see the backlash because there is no large group of minorities present and because the media has an "Us First" mentality.

Gardener

May 9, 2017
Just so I understand, are you fighting for your right to call someone a fag?

You are so off the target/mark it is off the scale.How Society appeases special interest groups has been on the rise for decades.Back when I was a kid and I went to the dentist the regular reading material as "Bedtime Stories" by Chester A Arthur and those books were Christian leaning.......fuck sakes if THOSE books were put out for reading material even 10 years ago as common practice there would be a REVOLT.....how dare a dentist provide Christian reading material in his waiting area.....if done NOW that dentist would be PROTESTED by SJW's and the like....he might even have his dental office fire bombed by INTOLERANT Leftists.

All I can say is Society in general has gone down the toilet in general for far too long.People walk on eggshells because they are afraid to speak their mind.

I for one will say what I feel and it will not be glossed over by Political Correctness.

SR

Vancouver Escorts