Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 40 of 40

Thread: Recommendations For A Pet

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by take8easy View Post
    I think you are right on in your observation. No, we are not. Me and SO know what it takes but the kids want another toy and what scares me the most is that they will get bored of it in a few days and we will be stuck with it.
    In that circumstance, please don't get a pet. I echo what vanperb said.

    We inherited our dog when a family member died. Luckily, we quickly came to love the dog. Because we enjoy having her with us so much, we are happy to make the necessary compromises. If the dog were just a burden, we'd feel badly and the dog would be an unhappy creature.

  2. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Vancouver
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by take8easy View Post
    I think you are right on in your observation. No, we are not. Me and SO know what it takes but the kids want another toy and what scares me the most is that they will get bored of it in a few days and we will be stuck with it.
    I think some shelters allow a 30 day period where you can return the pet if it doesn't work out. Look it up.

    I think pets are good for kids because...well one day the pet will die and it's a valuable life lesson. Learning to deal with personal loss is something all of us have to do at one point or the other.
    Last edited by wetnose; 06-14-2018 at 10:42 AM.

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    right here and now
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by wetnose View Post
    I think pets are good for kids because...well one day the pet will die and it's a valuable life lesson.
    Unless of course the pet dies an emotional wreck- lonely, neglected and frightened because kids are kids and their parents are clueless.
    Although it seems kids eventually abandon their aging parents anyway...…..is there some link?

  4. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Vancouver
    Posts
    1,287
    Quote Originally Posted by ddcanz View Post
    Unless of course the pet dies an emotional wreck- lonely, neglected and frightened because kids are kids and their parents are clueless.
    Well, that's what the 30 day period is for.

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    493
    Dogs- smell and shit everywhere, if you don't like cleaning up after a dog, don't get one. indoor or outdoor dog. You can smell the animals that live in your friends houses.

    Cats- Furball, shed, if you like vacuuming everyday get one. And you have to clean the litter box every week (2 times is best). it smells

    Best of both worlds go to your friend who has animals and play with them there. You don't have to clean up after them, that s your friends job.....

  6. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    right here and now
    Posts
    2,653
    Quote Originally Posted by 80watts View Post

    Cats..... you have to clean the litter box every week (2 times is best)….
    Wrong.
    You clean the box daily.

  7. #37
    if you've never had a pet before, I always say, start off with a plant lol, this is for anybody reading, but if you do decide to get a pet, please do your research BEFORE, don't listen to the pet store, or the vet (they do medical care but are not up to date with general care), do thorough research and hear from EVERYTHING! forums, youtube, facebook groups, reputable updated websites, etc.

    Speaking of pets, I just added 2 new members to my little family this month! 2 dwarf hamsters, so now I have 1 hedgehog, and 2 little fluffs, and a cat of course the cat wants to eat the hamsters but...yeah no he's not allowed near them!

    I totally agree about the birds...however I do have birds, 2 budgies, but they are not mine, they were dumped on my family by another family member, ugh...who failed miserably in caring, we tried to rehome but vancouver sucks for pet care, so we're still deciding but for now we are keeping them..poor things we let them fly though.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by 80watts View Post
    Dogs- smell and shit everywhere, if you don't like cleaning up after a dog, don't get one. indoor or outdoor dog. You can smell the animals that live in your friends houses.

    Cats- Furball, shed, if you like vacuuming everyday get one. And you have to clean the litter box every week (2 times is best). it smells

    Best of both worlds go to your friend who has animals and play with them there. You don't have to clean up after them, that s your friends job.....
    not all cats shed, and yeah litter box at least daily or every 2 days ...

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Erica Phoenix View Post
    Tell me about this backpack thing. That sounds like something Basil would like. When he was small, and I still had my lovely Williedog, Basil had to be kept in the house & distracted when we went out on a walk or he would follow us! I tried him on a harness & leash when we lived on an acreage, and he seemed to like that. He's a Maine Coon, & he is a real character.

    T8E: I would advise AGAINST getting a pet, given what you've said. I wonder WHY you're considering one. What are you looking to get from adding a pet to your home, when it seems like the household has very little to give to a pet? Food & shelter just isn't enough. Pets need attention, time & effort, and there are ALWAYS more costs associated with them than you can possibly anticipate. Basil was a $60 kitten, but before he was 8 months old, he'd cost me $350 for neutering & shots, and another $350 in emergency treatment after he was nearly disemboweled by a squirrel, marten, raccoon or owl he got curious about...

    Add: here's a great way for your kids to find out what is involved in pet ownership, & what happens when kids get bored of their pets. The Surrey SPCA has summer day camps where kids get to interact with animals & get educated about the responsibilities of pet care & ownership. Tell the kids if they want to discuss owning a pet any further, you expect them to participate in such a camp & learn to be responsible for an animal before they take one on.
    I second this.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Erica Phoenix View Post

    T8E: I would advise AGAINST getting a pet, given what you've said. I wonder WHY you're considering one. What are you looking to get from adding a pet to your home, when it seems like the household has very little to give to a pet? Food & shelter just isn't enough. Pets need attention, time & effort, and there are ALWAYS more costs associated with them than you can possibly anticipate. Basil was a $60 kitten, but before he was 8 months old, he'd cost me $350 for neutering & shots, and another $350 in emergency treatment after he was nearly disemboweled by a squirrel, marten, raccoon or owl he got curious about...

    .
    I am NOT getting it, "I am just doing research", as I told my kids. This is just my way of buying some time and hoping this is just a passing fancy.

    Money is not really the issue, neither is taking care of a living thing. My main and almost only concern is what happens to the pet when we have to step outside for chores, holidays or most importantly, work.
    If you don't want me talking, just shove your boobs in my mouth.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •