Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA VAN > NBA SEA? (well, what if)

NBA VAN > NBA SEA? (well, what if)

If you take the American Interstate 5 (which was US 99 at one time), THREE "endpoint cities" have lost their NBA teams.

I knew Eric from San Diego. "If a team doesn't win, fans won't support them. Then, the team leaves" he cried.

Who gets an NBA team first? Seattle or Vancouver?

Vancouver may have the edge, because of an NBA-ready arena. Seattle has bupkus, for modern NBA standards (ownership relies on AMENITIES to make money, along with tickets and merchandise).

Kansas City (Missouri, not Kansas) has a NICE Sprint Centre, fully NBA and NHL ready. They, like Seattle, are being used as a "pawn" when CURRENT ownerships want to use an "open" city like Seattle, as their "defection point."

I hear the LOUISVILLE, Kentucky has already, or PLANS for, an NBA standard arena. How HUMILIATING would it be, if NBA LOU came before a return of NBA VAN or NBA SEA?

I know that Kentucky is a basketball state, but like North Carolina and even India, the COLLEGE teams are more popular. The Hornets have had issues, the Pacers are not doing well in terms if fan support.

Rogers Arena is OH-SO-AWESOME!! Clearly NBA caliber.

And, I've got ONE thing to say to Seattle Sonics fans:

Oklahoma City!
    Oklahoma City!
    Oklahoma City, Baby!!

Respectfully,
    Tim McGee.

It was awesome when vancity had the Grizzlies! High energy, non-stop entertainment for the whole family..at prices people could afford.

"He's Big! He's Country!! He's....BIG Country!!"

Loved Bryant Reeves!! And, he was a Top 10 NBA Centre, his second and third years, when healthy.

I remember his "I Love This Game" commercial, where he was with the kids, and told them (what I think people on THIS board should try to do more of):

"Just have fun!" ("Ahahahahahahaha....")

And, remember from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, was Irish "Big Continent" Tood MacCulloch?

Could Damon (The Demon) Stoudamire dunk?

Respectfully,
    Tim MacGee.

The NBA shit the bed in Vancouver and they know it. Unless an owner with very deep pockets materializes and makes a long term commitment, it's going to be a long time, if ever, that we see another franchise. They allowed the team to be sold to Heisley, who them severed every single bit of community outreach and work the team had done to fill seats when the team was garbage. Horrible drafting, bad executives and crap performances set the stage and Heisley got the team for a song. He only had to finish the job of running it into the ground and leave town when the support was gone.

Vancouver is behind Seattle, Mexico City, Louisville and even Vegas depending on who you listen to. The only way it makes sense is if the Acquilini's decide they want it. They own the building, and without concessions, suite rentals and parking, there's no way a team can compete with the dollar where it is. I'd love to see it back, when they played well it was damn entertaining to watch live, but I really doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by PerbMod View Post
    The NBA shit the bed in Vancouver and they know it. Unless an owner with very deep pockets materializes and makes a long term commitment, it's going to be a long time, if ever, that we see another franchise. They allowed the team to be sold to Heisley, who them severed every single bit of community outreach and work the team had done to fill seats when the team was garbage. Horrible drafting, bad executives and crap performances set the stage and Heisley got the team for a song. He only had to finish the job of running it into the ground and leave town when the support was gone.

Vancouver is behind Seattle, Mexico City, Louisville and even Vegas depending on who you listen to. The only way it makes sense is if the Acquilini's decide they want it. They own the building, and without concessions, suite rentals and parking, there's no way a team can compete with the dollar where it is. I'd love to see it back, when they played well it was damn entertaining to watch live, but I really doubt it.
    Visiting NBA Teams "LOVED" The Swedish Touch on 595 Hornby Street back in the day teams used to go there all the time.

I know that its about having an ARENA. And Memphis has an AIR tight lease on the Fed Ex Forum.

But, it's still hard to stomach that MEMPHIS has an NBA team, and not Vancouver ir Seattle.

If you don't all mind, I'd like to do some equal opportunity, at pointing out dangerous cities:

Memphis is Saskatoon or Surrey! (The grotto!)

Oakland is Prince George.

Detroit is Regina.

Red Deer and Wood Buffalo are Bridgeport, Connecticut! A guy from Connecticut told me, "You don't get out of the car, in Bridgeport!"

The bad part of Los Angeles, is DTES!!

And, for pople who don't like Edmonton or Winsor, the American version is Sacramento, California!

Dangerous cities.

Respectfully,
    Tim McGee.

Oh, I hear that despite the sun reputation and retirements, MIAMI isn't all good!

WORST Grizzly ever, Vancouver or Memphis:

Doug Edwards.

First round bust out of Florida State.

As I recall, didn't do diddly in Atlanta, dumped onto Vancouver in the expansion draft, and sat out ALL of 1995-96.

Respectfully,
    Tim McGee.

But you all know my love of Native American art!

I LOVED the totem pole like figurines on the trim of the initial Grizzlies uniform!

Vancouver will never have an NBA franchise again.

Last time was a disaster on all fronts ( and I was a season ticket holder !). The league screwed us from day 1.

This is too small a town. Not enough b-ball roots. Not enough corporate head offices.

I can think of at least 10 cities in the US who are ahead of Vancouver.

Vancouver's not to small of a city, the real problem is vancouver has to many fair weather fans. If the teams winning, good times.. and if there losing nobody gives a shit.

The charlotte bobcats came in to the league in 04, and they finished dead last, like 30 out of 30. Every year in merchandise sales, attendance, and ratings. (Until they changed there name to hornets in 2015, cuz the new Orleans dropped it). But there still in Charlotte because commitment from ownership (micheal jordan. Etc)

All starts from the top.

But yeah, Seattle gets a team before any other city. They should move the magic. Nobody gives 2 shits about them.

A couple things. Worst Grizzly draft ever, Stromile Swift. I believe they picked him 2nd overall. All the dude could do was dunk. Useless otherwise. Stu Jackson was the worst nba executive ever.

Basketball is an entirely different place now as compared to when the Grizz first left. First of all the general population of gvrd is much greater, secondly among the under 25 set it is the number one sport period. Third, immigrant communities embrace the sport far more than hockey. Look at the bc boys basketball provincial finals in Langley, they will draw 25,000 spectators over the 4 day event. Lack of head offices could be an issue, but their is such vast wealth in Vancouver, I doubt it. Many NBA cities don't have many head offices. OKC, Memphis, Portland etc... these are also all cities that have way smaller populations than Van. I think an NBA franchise would thrive here now. Aquilini's hold all the cards.

The reaction from Steve Francis explains it all

Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    A couple things. Worst Grizzly draft ever, Stromile Swift. I believe they picked him 2nd overall. All the dude could do was dunk. Useless otherwise. Stu Jackson was the worst nba executive ever.

Basketball is an entirely different place now as compared to when the Grizz first left. First of all the general population of gvrd is much greater, secondly among the under 25 set it is the number one sport period. Third, immigrant communities embrace the sport far more than hockey. Look at the bc boys basketball provincial finals in Langley, they will draw 25,000 spectators over the 4 day event. Lack of head offices could be an issue, but their is such vast wealth in Vancouver, I doubt it. Many NBA cities don't have many head offices. OKC, Memphis, Portland etc... these are also all cities that have way smaller populations than Van. I think an NBA franchise would thrive here now. Aquilini's hold all the cards.

I know it’s hard to accept but Vancouver is a small town, even by US small town standards. It just doesn’t have the market to support a team long-term, compared against other alternatives.

Aquilini as the answer? That’s a joke. Just because the bearded idiot was lucky enough to inherit money from his dad doesn’t make him a good business man or a credible sports team owner. Just look at how he’s fucked up the Canucks.

The real problem though is how badly the Vancouver franchise shit the bed in their one (and only ) shot at owning an NBA franchise. It was an embarrassment. Sadly, I watched it all happen from the sideline. The league couldn't wait to get its ass out of Vancouver.

The fact is the league had no respect for Vancouver- from day 1. That’s why, despite being an “ExpansionTeam”, the best we could do was get the #6 pick in the initial expansion draft. That's a joke. (all they wanted was Arthur's cash).

If we could have had access to Kevin Garnett (#5), or even Rasheed Wallace of Jerry Stackhouse (#3), we might have had a better foundation. Instead we wasted our pick on Big Belly Reeves – who proceeded to eat his way out of the league.

Shareef wasn’t a bad pick at #3 the following year, but we could have had Ray Allen, or Kobe Bryant or some guy named FUCKING STEVE NASH ...who went at #15. Blew that big time.

(We’d still have a Vancouver Grizzlies team here - and maybe an NBA championship - had we had a foundation like Kevin Garnett and Steve Nash ).

At to that the Steve Francis fiasco (where's Othello Harrington now?), choosing arguably the dumbest basketball player ever in Stromile Swift, and ultimately picking journeyman Mike Bibby at # FUCKING 2 ! (when we could have had VINCE CARTER, Dirk Nowitzki or Paul Pierce…all of whom went only a few picks after Bibby).

It was pure amateur hour, from the start to to finish....from the ownership group, to the management, to the coaching to the luke warm corporate and fan response.

You might be able to overcome that stench of mismanagement and failure if you were in a huge population market, or had huge corporate resources to put behind you, or a proven major league ownership group that a league could trust (and not in a foreign country with a fluctuating currency) or a relatively large media presence…..but we have none of that.

No argument that basketball is growing in this community but that’s happening everywhere. Also, the star players have even more say today in where they want to play (compared to the days of Stevie Francis). Nobody wants to come play in Vancouver. That's where Q ratings go to die.

So, please don’t fall for false hope or hype. Vancouver has a better chance of having legal, licensed brothels before it ever has another NBA team.

(now that’s something I can get behind)

In retrospect, the mid 1990s were a strange time for the NBA to expand to Canada. Canadian franchises in a US league were beginning to seem like a losing proposition. The Nordiques and Jets were about to leave, and the Expos were beginning their long march into oblivion, although they stuck around until 2004, 3 years after the Grizzlies left.

Before the Grizzlies, there was the short-lived Vancouver Nighthawks of the World Basketball League, who played in BC Place in 1988.

http://www.vancourier.com/rememberin...hawks-1.375894

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast