• In 4 years because Christie Clark was offered a NDP Speaker

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • In 4 years because John Horgan was offered a Liberal Speaker

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sdw

Jul 14, 2005
It's clear that whatever political party provides the Speaker and Deputy Speaker will be unable to be the government. There are a bunch of options:
1. Christie Clark offers a Liberal to be Speaker because "it's the right thing to do" :roll: BTW, did I mention that I have a bridge for sale?
2. John Horgan offers a NDP Member to be Speaker because "he wants the People's House to work" :roll: BTW, did I mention that the Money Tree in my backyard is ready?
3. Andrew Weaver offers a Green Member to be Speaker because "Greens want a stable government for the next 4 years"

So - moving on. What is likely to happen now?
1. Christie Clark re-calls the house, no Speaker is chosen and everyone returns home.
2. Christie Clark re-calls the house, no Speaker is chosen and the LG allows a BC Election.
3. The LG offers John Horgan the chance to re-call the house, no Speaker is chosen and the LG allows a BC Election.

Cock Throppled

Oct 1, 2003
Upstairs
You whole poll and the premise make no sense.

The Greens have already said none of them will be speaker.

The Libs will never do it.

That leaves an NDPer. That person can vote to break ties, and will vote with the NDP/Green alliance. There is no issue.

thodisipagal

Oct 23, 2010
Surrey
You whole poll and the premise make no sense.

The Greens have already said none of them will be speaker.

The Libs will never do it.

That leaves an NDPer. That person can vote to break ties, and will vote with the NDP/Green alliance. There is no issue.
True.

In case of a tie (and in the new legislature there will be ties), the speaker will break the tie. Normally a speaker is neutral, but the speaker does not have to stay neutral when there is a tie. (Also, a speaker never ceases to be an MLA; he/she can advise the government privately on matters of importance to his/her constituency).

https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/speaker

NDP's governing ability will be tenuous but it will have the majority to govern. If NDP and Greens get along well for four years, Horgan will govern for four years.

The poll is based on false premise.

PerbMod

Conflict Resolution Guy
Supporting Member
Mar 28, 2015
www.perb.cc
Christie will call the house back, lose a confidence vote and resign as premier. The NDP and Green marriage made in hell will have a chance to govern. Their throne speech will pass by one vote.

They will govern as long as they can. If the Liberals are smart, Christy will step down as leader (but I think she's too stubborn/selfish to do that) and have a fast leadership convention in the fall. Kevin Falcon or someone else not tainted by working with her should win. Then, given the razor thin margin, either the greens and NDP have a falling out, or someone gets sick/has to go out of town/some other mess up happens and the Liberals will vote down the government in the fall or spring, and bam, next election.

In the meantime, the damage they do will hopefully be minimal, but make no mistake, this coalition will mean deficits (NDP lied straight up about that), higher taxes for many (not just the rich) and lots of broken promises. They are already backing away from some of them. Road/bridge tolls will be one, the Greens want them, but the NDP promised to cut them, let's see who wins the day. My bet is the NDP caves and leaves them in place.

alcxd

alc
Dec 2, 2009
I live on the Rock
I like the comment about the money tree
Mr Horgan seems to think the BC government has one
Msp will they actually minimize the amount people pay ? I pay $150 per month $1800 per year, I would love to have this reduced, but not at the cost to the province & a large deficit
We'll wait & see I guess, & keep fingers crossed that our economy doesn't tank

MissingOne

awake but not woke
Jan 2, 2006
One tactic the NDP could use is to minimize the time that the House is in session. When the House isn't sitting, there can't be a non-confidence vote. They need Parliament to pass a budget, but for many other things they could follow Clark's own pattern of governing by Order in Council.

Cock Throppled

Oct 1, 2003
Upstairs
It is a LOT more likely Liberal MLA's will miss votes.
Does Rich Coleman look healthy to anyone? Or John Martin, Linda Reid, Peter Milobar?

Ralph Sultan is 81, for gawd's sake.

Sam Sullivan is frail at the best of times.

They all also like to travel (usually on the public's dime).

deathreborn

Jan 17, 2011
Christie will call the house back, lose a confidence vote and resign as premier. The NDP and Green marriage made in hell will have a chance to govern. Their throne speech will pass by one vote.

They will govern as long as they can. If the Liberals are smart, Christy will step down as leader (but I think she's too stubborn/selfish to do that) and have a fast leadership convention in the fall. Kevin Falcon or someone else not tainted by working with her should win. Then, given the razor thin margin, either the greens and NDP have a falling out, or someone gets sick/has to go out of town/some other mess up happens and the Liberals will vote down the government in the fall or spring, and bam, next election.

In the meantime, the damage they do will hopefully be minimal, but make no mistake, this coalition will mean deficits (NDP lied straight up about that), higher taxes for many (not just the rich) and lots of broken promises. They are already backing away from some of them. Road/bridge tolls will be one, the Greens want them, but the NDP promised to cut them, let's see who wins the day. My bet is the NDP caves and leaves them in place.
i agree that christy clark will have to be put in a straight jacket and dragged out of the house before she gives up power. she must really want to hold onto that $195,000 a year for as long as possible. and she is definitely an arrogant bitch. the type of person you want bad things to happen to cuz you know behind closed doors what a horrid person she is.

Equity Market investor

New West ( energy sector)
Apr 9, 2009
i agree that christy clark will have to be put in a straight jacket and dragged out of the house before she gives up power. she must really want to hold onto that $195,000 a year for as long as possible. and she is definitely an arrogant bitch. the type of person you want bad things to happen to cuz you know behind closed doors what a horrid person she is.
Going forward with the Green/ NDP coalition setting in, I can't help to now wonder, in the greater Vancouver, Detached, Townhouses and Condo's, in what direction are prices going? Flatlining, a bit down or continues upward? The talk of needing to cool off real estate prices has be in talks for eons now.

apl16

Jul 26, 2011
Look left. Way left.

Lol.... you should do standup! Kevin Falcon untainted. Deficit/debt can hardly get worse. The debt created in hydro alone is massive!

sdw

Jul 14, 2005
True.

In case of a tie (and in the new legislature there will be ties), the speaker will break the tie. Normally a speaker is neutral, but the speaker does not have to stay neutral when there is a tie. (Also, a speaker never ceases to be an MLA; he/she can advise the government privately on matters of importance to his/her constituency).

https://www.leg.bc.ca/learn-about-us/speaker

NDP's governing ability will be tenuous but it will have the majority to govern. If NDP and Greens get along well for four years, Horgan will govern for four years.

The poll is based on false premise.
You are forgetting that Christie Clark continues to be Premier until defeated by a vote of non-confidence (Throne Speech or Budget). In order for there to be a Throne Speech or Budget, a Speaker must be installed. Only then can the LG read the Throne Speech and only after the LG has read the speech, can the house vote on accepting or rejecting it.

The convention is that the Speaker only votes to break a tie and always votes to maintain debate. So, the Speaker shouldn't vote against the Throne Speech because that would be stifling debate.

Since the Liberals are not going to provide a Speaker, the NDP will have to if they wish to have a Throne Speech to vote against. Even if the Speaker is an NDP MLA, convention prevents them from voting against the Throne Speech.

If the Speaker votes against the Throne Speech, THAT will be the election issue in the next BC Election.

If the NDP prefers not to walk into that trap, and doesn't provide a Speaker - John Horgan will most likely be offered the chance to form a government by the LG.

The Liberals will not provide a Speaker and the NDP will now be able to provide a Speaker, who by convention, CAN vote for the Throne Speech.

Now, the three Greens come into play. This Throne Speech is where they can get their wish list fulfilled. If the NDP doesn't fulfill the Green wish list, they could be defeated on the Throne Speech. Now, I know that there is an agreement between the NDP and Greens. However, just as the Greens were forced by their members to not ally with the Liberals, the Green membership is going to insist on certain items in the Throne Speech.

Cock Throppled

Oct 1, 2003
Upstairs
You are forgetting that Christie Clark continues to be Premier until defeated by a vote of non-confidence (Throne Speech or Budget). In order for there to be a Throne Speech or Budget, a Speaker must be installed. Only then can the LG read the Throne Speech and only after the LG has read the speech, can the house vote on accepting or rejecting it.

The convention is that the Speaker only votes to break a tie and always votes to maintain debate. So, the Speaker shouldn't vote against the Throne Speech because that would be stifling debate.

Since the Liberals are not going to provide a Speaker, the NDP will have to if they wish to have a Throne Speech to vote against. Even if the Speaker is an NDP MLA, convention prevents them from voting against the Throne Speech.

If the Speaker votes against the Throne Speech, THAT will be the election issue in the next BC Election.

If the NDP prefers not to walk into that trap, and doesn't provide a Speaker - John Horgan will most likely be offered the chance to form a government by the LG.

The Liberals will not provide a Speaker and the NDP will now be able to provide a Speaker, who by convention, CAN vote for the Throne Speech.

Now, the three Greens come into play. This Throne Speech is where they can get their wish list fulfilled. If the NDP doesn't fulfill the Green wish list, they could be defeated on the Throne Speech. Now, I know that there is an agreement between the NDP and Greens. However, just as the Greens were forced by their members to not ally with the Liberals, the Green membership is going to insist on certain items in the Throne Speech.
Nice fantasy.

"Convention" is not law. There is NOTHING preventing a speaker from voting any way they want. Believing a speaker voting against a throne speech becoming THE election issue is as laughable as believing Christy Clark will suddenly become humble and work well with others.

thodisipagal

Oct 23, 2010
Surrey

I've seen this line of argument in the media. Columnist Kady O'Malley and one Prof. Hamish Telford of the University of the Fraser Valley had their opinion in the media the other day that parallel your reasoning. (Actually, when I read your post above, for a moment I thought Telford might have written it.)

But, as CT says above, house rules and conventions are two different things. Rules must be complied with, conventions are not required to be followed.

Let me for a moment agree with you that whoever is the speaker will choose to follow the convention and not vote against the Throne Speech. But then the next opportunity for the speaker to vote against a bill would be when the budget bill is introduced. That's not too far off.

I think an NDP MLA will be secretly elected Speaker. And the speaker will be bound to vote when there is a tie. Note that voting comes after debate has concluded. So Speaker's vote would not be interfering with house debate.

All said and done, NDP will have full legitimacy to govern, with Green Party support.

There is only one person who will decide when the next election will be. It's Andrew Weaver -- not Clark, not Horgan, not Guichon. And that will be a political decision. That could be in four years or in four months. To elaborate on that would be pure speculation.

You keep talking about MLAs falling sick. I've followed your post in the past (e.g. Ghomeshi) and I think you could do better than that. I didn't expect that from you. My retort to that would be a lame "Clark will get remarried and will choose to leave politics to go on a 4-year honeymoon". Sounds credible?

frisky business

Aug 18, 2013
IMHO, this is one of those situations where what you don't see is more important than what you do see.

I'd bet that Ms Clark is working furiously to recruit a sitting member of the Green or NDP parties. If she can seduce even one to cross the floor, even if by promise of a ministry, she'll have her majority.

Ms Clark is a ferocious backroom fighter. Remember the previous election when she came from behind to snatch an almost certain victory from Mr Dix?

thodisipagal

Oct 23, 2010
Surrey
IMHO, this is one of those situations where what you don't see is more important than what you do see.

I'd bet that Ms Clark is working furiously to recruit a sitting member of the Green or NDP parties. If she can seduce even one to cross the floor, even if by promise of a ministry, she'll have her majority.

Ms Clark is a ferocious backroom fighter. Remember the previous election when she came from behind to snatch an almost certain victory from Mr Dix?
I have no doubt Clark is a "ferocious backroom fighter" and that she is probably "working furiously to recruit a sitting member of the Green or NDP parties". On the election night and for over a week after that, she rather romantically and with glazed eyes mentioned Andrew Weaver's name, I think, about 10 thousand times -- "Dr. Weaver this, Dr. Weaver that..." I wouldn't have been surprised if she had said he looked sexy and cute, too.

Her seduction failed. And we are where we are now.

What I don't understand is why you don't mention that Horgan is probably trying to recruit Clark herself to cross the floor and become Horgan's Dy PM. Or Coleman or Rustad or any other BC Conservalibs.

Conjecture has its place but it's a poor surrogate for facts.

sdw

Jul 14, 2005
I've seen this line of argument in the media. Columnist Kady O'Malley and one Prof. Hamish Telford of the University of the Fraser Valley had their opinion in the media the other day that parallel your reasoning. (Actually, when I read your post above, for a moment I thought Telford might have written it.)

But, as CT says above, house rules and conventions are two different things. Rules must be complied with, conventions are not required to be followed.

Let me for a moment agree with you that whoever is the speaker will choose to follow the convention and not vote against the Throne Speech. But then the next opportunity for the speaker to vote against a bill would be when the budget bill is introduced. That's not too far off.

I think an NDP MLA will be secretly elected Speaker. And the speaker will be bound to vote when there is a tie. Note that voting comes after debate has concluded. So Speaker's vote would not be interfering with house debate.

All said and done, NDP will have full legitimacy to govern, with Green Party support.

There is only one person who will decide when the next election will be. It's Andrew Weaver -- not Clark, not Horgan, not Guichon. And that will be a political decision. That could be in four years or in four months. To elaborate on that would be pure speculation.

You keep talking about MLAs falling sick. I've followed your post in the past (e.g. Ghomeshi) and I think you could do better than that. I didn't expect that from you. My retort to that would be a lame "Clark will get remarried and will choose to leave politics to go on a 4-year honeymoon". Sounds credible?
The LG is follower of parliamentary convention. It's in the job description. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant_Governor_of_British_Columbia http://www.ltgov.bc.ca/lg/roles/constitutional/default.html Note that the LG of BC is 2nd in precedence after the Queen. The LG of BC is actually superior in precedence to the Governor General of Canada and any other member of the Royal Family.

If the Speaker is a NDP MLA and Christie Clark is still Premier, having the Speaker vote against the government on a non-confidence vote will allow Christie Clark to ask the LG for a BC Election. That request will most likely be granted.

That's because the LG's oath is to the Queen and not to the political party in power at the time. The LG will have difficulty supporting the stifling of debate which is what will have happened.

If Christie Clark cannot form a government because nobody will accept the job of Speaker for her government, John Horgan will be offered the opportunity to form a government. If an NDP MLA is willing to be Speaker for a government led by John Horgan, that Speaker is expected to vote with the government on non-confidence votes.

As long as John Horgan can get all of the NDP and Green MLAs to vote, his government can continue.

His problem is going to be the Greens. He also may have a problem with some of his MLAs on some issues.

I can't see a John Horgan government going a full four years.

Christie Clark knows all of this, and while she'd love for a NDP MLA to become Speaker and topple her government, she can't count on the NDP springing that trap. Anyone that watched Christie Clark in opposition to Glen Clark's government knows that she's formidable in opposition.

I'm adding Vaughn Palmer's Tuesday column:
http://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...ker-to-be-busy-taking-sides-in-political-fray
Vaughn Palmer: Expect the speaker to be busy taking sides in the political fray
Vaughn Palmer
Published on: June 5, 2017 | Last Updated: June 5, 2017 7:01 PM PDT

VICTORIA — On an otherwise routine day in the B.C. legislature in the spring of 1980, the Opposition New Democratic Party sprang a trap on the Social Credit government of then-Premier Bill Bennett.

A year earlier, Bennett was elected to a second term by less than two points in the popular vote and five in the seat count, one of the thinnest margins in modern times before this year.

Despite the tight balance — and the absence of Speaker Harvey Schroeder who was recovering from a heart attack — the New Democrats had noted the government was getting careless about attendance.

Quietly, all Opposition members were ordered to stay in Victoria, while some were told to avoid the chamber so the Socreds wouldn’t suspect what was up.

Finally on the afternoon of May 6, with Bennett and two of his ministers away on business, the New Democrats made their move, forcing a division — recorded vote — on a matter involving the alleged overpayment of a salary to the tourism minister.

The division bells ran for the usual five minutes, as per house rules, and the doors to the chamber were locked. Then with all New Democrats present and the Socreds having mustered every member within reach, the vote was called.

The result: 26 New Democrats in favour, 26 Socreds against. Whereupon into the breach stepped Socred Walter Davidson, normally the deputy speaker but then acting with full powers of the speaker for the ailing Schroeder.

Most times the speaker (or stand-in) does not vote. But the rules of the house are clear that in the event of a tie, the speaker “shall give a casting vote” to break the deadlock.

Davidson, following the conventions of the office, voted with the government side, thereby sustaining his own earlier ruling in the case, which was the pretext for the NDP challenge in the first place.

Still, the New Democrats had managed to embarrass the Socreds. Though the seat count remained tight for the rest of that term, Bennett never again needed the speaker to break a tie.

Moreover that day, 37 years ago, was the last occasion on which any speaker of the B.C. legislature has exercised a casting vote to break a tie. The previous instance was in 1922, according to the journals of the house going back 100 years.

Two cases in a century would barely warrant a footnote in any present-day discussion of the powers of the speaker, were it not for the circumstances arising from the results of the recent B.C. election.

For in the coming B.C. legislature, the 44 to 43 balance between the NDP-Green alliance and the B.C. Liberals could make ties an every day thing and the casting vote commonplace.

By long-standing parliamentary convention the speaker exercises the casting vote to permit further debate where possible and to side with the government where the opportunities for debate are exhausted.

Not likely, then, would a B.C. Liberal agree to serve as speaker and help prop up a John Horgan-led NDP government. Why would he or she, when the Liberal object over time is to defeat the minority government, not sustain it in office?

Recent disavowals notwithstanding, a Liberal might take the helm during the brief session where the government is poised for defeat. He or she would then resign along with the premier, rather than let the NDP off the hook for having to tie up one of its members when Horgan takes office.

Nor would an NDP speaker find it easy to preside over the session set aside for the denouement of the Liberals. Granted, he or she might declare in advance an intention to break with convention and vote against the government.

But that could make history of a different kind. Speakers vote to sustain governments; it is difficult to come up with a precedent for one voting to do the reverse.

Last edited:

rlock

May 20, 2015
My guess is about 2 years from now, but it's uncertain. What I see coming is:

1) Christy will try to form government as usual. Then she'll delay a while, but she'll eventually have to call the Legislature to session and then she'll be defeated officially by a non-confidence motion as soon as she tries to do anything.
2) She will ask the Lieutenant Governor for a new election, and unless the LG is crooked, we won't get one. The NDP will get the chance to form a government with the Greens, and will do so.
3) The NDP will have to pick one of theirs as Speaker, leaving the new government with zero actual advantage in the Legislature. It will be an "interesting" period of time since the speaker will have to tie-break everything for the NDP; the margin will be so tight that if anyone gets sick or misses a vote, there will be trouble - even bigger trouble if even one government MLA disagrees with some policy and threatens to got indie or pull the plug on everything.
4) If someone dies or retires or whatever, byelection time - and all three parties will throw way more effort than usual into it.
5) Assuming the wheels don't fall off, they can probably keep this up for about 2 years.
6) Meanwhile, the BC Liberals will do some "soul-searching" - i.e. their loyalty to Christy was only predicated on her winning, so she's probably getting pushed out of the lifeboat real soon.

BTW, did I mention that I have a bridge for sale?
Sorry, not planning to do any yoga, so I don't need one. :heh:

Going forward with the Green/ NDP coalition setting in, I can't help to now wonder, in the greater Vancouver, Detached, Townhouses and Condo's, in what direction are prices going? Flatlining, a bit down or continues upward?
The Greens wanted to double the foreign buyer's tax, and the NDP are likely to intriduce new rules to favour rentals, so I guess steady or down - eventually.

If she can seduce even one to cross the floor... she'll have her majority.
Funny choice of words - I wouldn't put that past her either. :heh:

Likely not for a while. Each party needs to restock their financial chest war reserves.
Money-wise the Libs are basically ready to go again right now; they would welcome any chance for another electoral dice-roll. It's the public who would be pissed off.

thodisipagal

Oct 23, 2010
Surrey
The LG is follower of parliamentary convention. It's in the job description. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lieutenant_Governor_of_British_Columbia http://www.ltgov.bc.ca/lg/roles/constitutional/default.html Note that the LG of BC is 2nd in precedence after the Queen. The LG of BC is actually superior in precedence to the Governor General of Canada and any other member of the Royal Family.

If the Speaker is a NDP MLA and Christie Clark is still Premier, having the Speaker vote against the government on a non-confidence vote will allow Christie Clark to ask the LG for a BC Election. That request will most likely be granted.

That's because the LG's oath is to the Queen and not to the political party in power at the time. The LG will have difficulty supporting the stifling of debate which is what will have happened.

If Christie Clark cannot form a government because nobody will accept the job of Speaker for her government, John Horgan will be offered the opportunity to form a government. If an NDP MLA is willing to be Speaker for a government led by John Horgan, that Speaker is expected to vote with the government on non-confidence votes.

As long as John Horgan can get all of the NDP and Green MLAs to vote, his government can continue.

His problem is going to be the Greens. He also may have a problem with some of his MLAs on some issues.

I can't see a John Horgan government going a full four years.

Christie Clark knows all of this, and while she'd love for a NDP MLA to become Speaker and topple her government, she can't count on the NDP springing that trap. Anyone that watched Christie Clark in opposition to Glen Clark's government knows that she's formidable in opposition.

I'm adding Vaughn Palmer's Tuesday column:
http://vancouversun.com/opinion/col...ker-to-be-busy-taking-sides-in-political-fray
A Liberal MLA, likely Linda Reid, will be the speaker to preside over the legislative session when the LG calls it at Clark's request.

When the session begins, BC Liberals will have 43 MLAs, NDP/Greens will have 44. The Speaker will not have to vote on Throne Speech.

Clark will be defeated on non-confidence motion on the Throne Speech.

A new government takes over, with a new Speaker. In any subsequent votings in legislature (budget bill, money bill, next year's Throne Speech - three legislative votings that are deemed as a confidence vote), the new Speaker will vote with the government, without having to break convention, if the Speaker does have to vote.

Am I missing something?

sdw

Jul 14, 2005
A Liberal MLA, likely Linda Reid, will be the speaker to preside over the legislative session when the LG calls it at Clark's request.

When the session begins, BC Liberals will have 43 MLAs, NDP/Greens will have 44. The Speaker will not have to vote on Throne Speech.

Clark will be defeated on non-confidence motion on the Throne Speech.

A new government takes over, with a new Speaker. In any subsequent votings in legislature (budget bill, money bill, next year's Throne Speech - three legislative votings that are deemed as a confidence vote), the new Speaker will vote with the government, without having to break convention, if the Speaker does have to vote.

Am I missing something?
Yes. When the house is called back after an election by the Leader of the political party with the most seats (Christie Clark) the first order of business is to elect a Speaker. Nothing else can be done until a Speaker is elected. The clerk of the legislative assembly runs the election and counts the votes. No Speaker = no business can be done. If no MLA wishes to be Speaker for Christie Clark, John Horgan has his chance to form a government if he can find a MLA that will serve as Speaker. If no MLA wishes to be Speaker for John Horgan either, the LG will Propagate the house. Like the summoning and dissolution of Parliament, prorogation is a prerogative act of the Crown. (in this case the LG of BC)

The LG will then ask Christie Clark and John Horgan if any negotiations can result in a government. If the answer is NO, a BC Election will be called.

There is a lot of talk about the NDP providing a Speaker who will then vote with the NDP and Greens to topple the government. Christie Clark is permitted to ask the LG for a BC Election if that happens and she will most likely have that request granted.

The NDP and Greens could elect an NDP Speaker if Christie Clark can't find a Speaker and John Horgan is offered a chance to form a government. In that case the NDP Speaker is bound by convention to vote to preserve the government and vote for the Throne Speech and Budget.

checked to see if I spelled Prorogation correctly. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prorogation_in_Canada
Prorogation is the end of a parliamentary session in the Parliament of Canada and the parliaments of its provinces and territories. It differs from a recess or adjournment, which do not end a session, and from a complete dissolution of parliament, which ends both the session and the entire parliament, requiring an election for the House of Commons in the bicameral federal parliament and the singular legislative chamber of the unicameral provincial parliaments.

In the Canadian parliamentary system, the legislature is typically prorogued upon the completion of the agenda set forth in the Speech from the Throne and remains in recess until the monarch or governor general, in the federal sphere, or lieutenant governor, in a province, summons parliamentarians.
Effectively, Christie remains the Premier and her Cabinet Ministers remain Cabinet Ministers until the MLAs are recalled to the house. At that point, Christie and her Cabinet Ministers become regular MLAs until the Speaker is elected and the LG reads the Throne Speech.

Last edited:
Vancouver Escorts