Thread: Ferry to Vancouver Island, less wait, and long drive is OK.

Ferry to Vancouver Island, less wait, and long drive is OK.

The only thing keeping me from going to Vancouver Island regularly is the ferry waits. With the weather warming up, it's only going to get worse.

I figure Horsey Bay to Nanaimo is a less crowded ferry, and a shorter crossing.

Believe it or not, I LIKE to DRIVE, and would not mind driving farther NORTH on the mainland, and on the Island, and driving down to Victoria from Nanaimo, or somewhere even farther North.

North of Nanaimo, what are the ferries that can get me to and from the Island?

Again, drives North are NOT a problem. Even welcome.

alc
    The only ferry north of nanaimo is Powell River, but you have to go to horseshoe bay / Langdale / ??? / Powell River / Comox then head south on inland highway or along coast on old highway
    I don't mind the ferry rides, if it's nice you can lay out on upper deck etc
    Have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Tim McGee View Post
    The only thing keeping me from going to Vancouver Island regularly is the ferry waits. With the weather warming up, it's only going to get worse.

I figure Horsey Bay to Nanaimo is a less crowded ferry, and a shorter crossing.

Believe it or not, I LIKE to DRIVE, and would not mind driving farther NORTH on the mainland, and on the Island, and driving down to Victoria from Nanaimo, or somewhere even farther North.

North of Nanaimo, what are the ferries that can get me to and from the Island?

Again, drives North are NOT a problem. Even welcome.
    I disagree that Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo is less crowded. During the busy season, this ferry sails less frequently than do the ones from Tsawassen. Furthermore, you are likely to find yourself stuck beyond the ticket booths, on the highway, waiting one, two or more sailings. There are no amenities out there; not even porta-potties.

If you want to cross north of Nanaimo, you have to do Horseshoe Bay - Langdale, Earls Cove - Saltery Bay, and then Powell River to the Island. During the busy season, Horseshoe Bay to Langdale is at least as bad as Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo, for waits.

I do everything I can to avoid crossings during busy times, but if I must, I go through Tsawassen. Sailings are twice as frequent and the terminal has a higher capacity. You're less likely to be stuck in a line out on the highway, starving or desperately looking for something to hide behind so you can pee or take a dump.

Why not make plans and use the reservation system avoid long lineups?

Vancouver is a funny place. In almost any other city in the world, that ferry ride would be considered an amazing tourism experience. Relax and enjoy.

Moreover, to me, either ferry is a no-lose situation.

On the one hand you have Peyton in Victoria and, on the other, you have Pretty Priya in Nanaimo.

(and I'll bet their reservation systems work better and I know their food is WAY better)

How could you possibly go wrong?

(hmmm....on both hands....maybe a Delicious Duncan Duo?)

Thanks everybody! I'll just take it on the chin and do Tsawassen most likely.
    Maybe if i take a very early sailing, I can get on more easily.

I should consider reserving a spot. Maube that helps me get on earlier and actually get a bench inside to sit and sleep!

Blog Entries
    Tim

I live on the North Shore with about a 15 minute drive to Horseshoe Bay. Taking Nanaimo ferries with a reservation is a breeze. I also get off the Island Hwy to enjoy the local flavour a lot more.

Sometimes catching a ferry is tricky and if possible I go Tuesday through Thursday. The rest of the week is quite busy with tracker trailers, RV's etc.

If I were to go the southern route, my drive alone to the ferry is minimum an hour in traffic. An hour wait with the reservation and then 90 min on the ferry if it's on time. I could be at my place in the Okanagan in 4 1/2 hours; just marginally longer than taking ferries and line ups.

‘No-one is happier to put this birth certificate matter to rest than the Donald and that’s because he can finally get back to focusing on the issues that matter. Like, did we fake the moon landing? What really happened in Roswell? And where are Biggie and Tupac?’

Barack Obama

Awww... thank you, Lance. Peyton and I are hungry for a sexy man to share between us--you know we both have an oral fixation and a lust for...ah...life.

I've always enjoyed the ferry ride from Vancouver to Nanaimo--spectacular views, and a very comfortable boat with lots of room to stretch, lounge, or wander. The ferry ride from Vancouver to Victoria lends itself well to viewing sea life--I once watched a pod of Orcas sail past our boat, and the endless blue horizon is breathtaking.

I recently started taking the sea plane from Nanaimo to Vancouver, and I think it's really worth the price of admission--free parking, and only 15 minutes from harbour to harbour. The view is stunning on a sunny day. Best of all, when I take the sea plane I arrive in Vancouver with lots of time and energy to play the same day!

Quote Originally Posted by Pretty_Priya View Post
    Awww... thank you, Lance. Peyton and I are hungry for a sexy man to share between us--you know we both have an oral fixation and a lust for...ah...life.

I've always enjoyed the ferry ride from Vancouver to Nanaimo--spectacular views, and a very comfortable boat with lots of room to stretch, lounge, or wander. The ferry ride from Vancouver to Victoria lends itself well to viewing sea life--I once watched a pod of Orcas sail past our boat, and the endless blue horizon is breathtaking.

I recently started taking the sea plane from Nanaimo to Vancouver, and I think it's really worth the price of admission--free parking, and only 15 minutes from harbour to harbour. The view is stunning on a sunny day. Best of all, when I take the sea plane I arrive in Vancouver with lots of time and energy to play the same day!
    Jesus as if the ferries aren't busy enough now we will have a poonster stampede to Nanaimo just to see priya. Better make your reservation asap.

Quote Originally Posted by oneoldone View Post
    Jesus as if the ferries aren't busy enough now we will have a poonster stampede to Nanaimo just to see priya. Better make your reservation asap.
    Wouldn't it be more of a breaststroke than a stampede?