Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your top 3 fine dining choices in Vancouver?

Teal Eyes & Freckles

Question Your top 3 fine dining choices in Vancouver?

So I'm in Vancouver again and realize that I scramble near dinner time every time I visit, to find a good choice. I then spend a while researching reviews online and end up going somewhere unplanned and sometimes disappointed.

So I'm seeking your help to put together a list of a few worthy options for dinner in Vancouver downtown for future adventures. Tell me your top 3 choices? Help!

Here are some criteria:

$50 to $90 price range (not including alcohol)
    Can be any cuisine, and any food (no dietary restrictions)
    Must have nice ambiance, attentive service, tasty cocktails or good wine selection, not super loud and obnoxious
    Fine dining or creative casual fine dining only, social & food experience

I have already been to Bluewater Cafe, Minami, Coast, and few others... some I liked, some I didn't.
    Sydney Taylor - email me @ tealeyesnfreckles@gmail.com
    Would you like to be informed via email when I visit Vancouver next? Sign up here!

Burdock & Co
    Savio Volpe
    Les Faux Bourgeois

Making memorabe moments
    French: Le Crocodile
    Steak: Hy's Steakhouse or Gotham
    Italian: Heard of Savio Volpe (caution - very busy... reservations months in advance).

L'abbatoir (French)
    Ask for Luigi (Italian)
    Bao Bei (Modern Chinese)
    The world moves on a woman's hips

Blog Entries
    Hey Sydney - great thread idea

One's I've been to that might be good choices are:

Yew in the Four Seasons Hotel - fabulous seafood and service. Cosy corner booths are recommended.

The Botanist in the Fairmont Pacific Rim - many choices mostly all organic with many of their own roof top garden.

Il Giardino - classic Tuscan Italian with a fresh West Coast menu.

‘No-one is happier to put this birth certificate matter to rest than the Donald and that’s because he can finally get back to focusing on the issues that matter. Like, did we fake the moon landing? What really happened in Roswell? And where are Biggie and Tupac?’

Barack Obama

Teal Eyes & Freckles
    Thank you!! I have to check out Yew and Savio Volpe from what I see on their sites!
    Would you like to be informed via email when I visit Vancouver next? Sign up here!

A dude
    I've been to Yew - had a lot of business luncheon and a few cocktail events. I like the atmosphere.

My personal favourites (and I'm an out of towner still, haha)

Chambar - nice brunch place with decent ambiance - turns into a cool late night joint with steamed mussels and old fashions I hear. Pretty hip and a classic "Vancouver place" I hear.

Lobby Lounge at Pacific Rim Fairmont - they have a "RawBar" (serves sushi), it's a very nice and relaxing place to be with friends or guests and chat and drink the evening away..

Black and Blue - I got a steak lover inside of me and he loves him some steak! I found Hy's to be too salty (the butter or season on top was too much for me)so I prefer this place. Decent ambiance. They're very BUSY when I visited them though, but I was at a private function in the back room so I wasn't too bothered. They have some weird layout (like some guests were on couches with a coffee table-esque set up. I'd hate to eat anything with a fork and knife with that kind of situation).

Food is superb, ambiance is busy, loud and thriving. Depending if that is your scene.

Best Caesar Salad I've had in a restaurant was at Gotham , awesome steak as well
    Also agree with badbadboy that Il Giardino is excellent - great ambiance and wonderful service
    Vij's old location was great but they don't take reservations

Some of my Fav's. CinCin, Cioppino's and of course Hy's for Steak

You really should expect to pay more than $50 - $90 for fine dining.

Teal Eyes & Freckles
    Quote Originally Posted by stamina View Post
    You really should expect to pay more than $50 - $90 for fine dining.
    Black & Blue
    Average Appetizer: $16
    Average Steak: $47
    Average Side: $10
    Average Dessert: $13
    Total: $86

Chambar
    Average Appetizer: $17
    Average Main: $34
    Average Side: $6
    Average Dessert: $14
    Total: $71

CinCin
    Average Appetizer: $16
    Average Main: $35
    Average Dessert: $12
    Total: $63

Yew
    Average Appetizer: $19
    Average Main: $36
    Average Dessert: $10
    Total: $65

Le Crocodile
    Average Appetizer: $18
    Average Main: $44
    Average Dessert: $17
    Total: $79

Thank you for those of you who offered me some actual options without the snarky snobby remark

A dude
    But I love being a Snarky Snark!!

Anyways, glad to see you've tried some of the restaurants.. I am patting myself on the back for some of my recommendations making the list (you can tell me you dislike them in an email later.. lol).

If you are open to having some adventure, and enjoys sushi, I've just tried this place called Sushi Hachi in Richmond. It's a mom and pop place and I think they open at 5 or 6 everyday?? It feels very authentic and they close whenever they run out of fish. The place is small, only seats 15-20??

It's the best sushi experience I've had outside of Japan (yes, I've been there. And yes, if you like Sushi you ought to go - Especially the Tsukiji Market. It's.... Life changing). But I digress, without having to buy a ticket, Sushi Hachi is your best choice.

Hope you can check it out next time you're in town~~

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoi View Post
    But I love being a Snarky Snark!!

Anyways, glad to see you've tried some of the restaurants.. I am patting myself on the back for some of my recommendations making the list (you can tell me you dislike them in an email later.. lol).

If you are open to having some adventure, and enjoys sushi, I've just tried this place called Sushi Hachi in Richmond. It's a mom and pop place and I think they open at 5 or 6 everyday?? It feels very authentic and they close whenever they run out of fish. The place is small, only seats 15-20??

It's the best sushi experience I've had outside of Japan (yes, I've been there. And yes, if you like Sushi you ought to go - Especially the Tsukiji Market. It's.... Life changing). But I digress, without having to buy a ticket, Sushi Hachi is your best choice.

Hope you can check it out next time you're in town~~
    you should add Toshi to your sushi dining experience in Vancouver, JonnyBoi.
    I have been to Tsukiji market also and this place fills that void.

A dude
    Wasn't the Tsukiji market something Manni?!? I hope to go back and experience Kobe steak and Kyoto for the "best ramen in the world" soon..

Onto the recommendations.. did you mean Toshi or Tojo's? I have heard good things from both.
    I haven't been to them yet, I'll need to try before recommending them to Miss Taylor...

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyBoi View Post
    Wasn't the Tsukiji market something Manni?!? I hope to go back and experience Kobe steak and Kyoto for the "best ramen in the world" soon..

Onto the recommendations.. did you mean Toshi or Tojo's? I have heard good things from both.
    I haven't been to them yet, I'll need to try before recommending them to Miss Taylor...
    I thinks Osaka's on Broadway at Burrard is better than Kobe, certainly less expensive for the same quality. Opened by the old Kobe Chefs years back and great Teppanyaki.
    Sushi Loku on Broadway around Fraser is some of the best Sushi I have had in Vancouver. Great atmosphere and a crazy menu.
    " Early in life I had to choose between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility. I chose the former and have seen no reason to change” – Frank Lloyd Wright

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast