Thread: For those with iPhones

For those with iPhones

Thought I'd share this. Cyber criminals are attempting to steal iPhone/iCloud credentials (which is how they posted naked photos of those actresses). They're sending phishing texts to people. While this affects pooners it's more likely to affect SP's as they're numbers are public. Further, you get a high volume of text messages & may miss a phish attempt.

Via @socengineerinc on Twitter. https://www.grahamcluley.com/apple-sms-phishing/
    Out of Office Alert: I am currently out of the office & in police custody.

I've never understood what it is with this scammers that, no matter how sophisticated they are, they are never able to put together a grammatically sound sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by clu View Post
    I've never understood what it is with this scammers that, no matter how sophisticated they are, they are never able to put together a grammatically sound sentence.
    Your information is the new currency. There is a whole ecosystem that sells that stuff on the dark net. And yes, some cannot put together a sentence, but there are increasing examples of well scripted spear phishing that is very hard to differentiate between real and spoofed. I saw an example last week and I admit, I was impressed. Cyber crime isn't some fat kid in his Mom's basement. This is an industry often run by organized crime and there are dangerous people at the end of the wire.

Another tip: turn off background refresh to save on data. Also disable location for privacy reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by clu View Post
    Its part of the scam. To make you think it was a person typing and made a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by mrman848 View Post
    Its part of the scam. To make you think it was a person typing and made a mistake.
    That doesn't make sense. All emails are written by people. The computers only distribute them. They don't write them. But if you're going to pretend it's an email from PayPal or Apple or TD Bank, you're going to expect them to be able to put together a sentence and proofread at least as well. Instead, they'll get fancy -- imitating logos and copy-pasting disclaimer legalese from the real thing -- and still not get the body text right.

We live in an age where more people are fluent in Photoshop than grammar.

Quote Originally Posted by mrman848 View Post
    The poor English is usually the result of these spammers having English as a Second Language. These are bulk emails. Targeted phishing, known as spear phishing (or whaling for executives) is far difference. It's the process of targeting the person's likes, dislikes, etc using social media, etc. It is highly effective.