Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: English : A Punny Language

English : A Punny Language

Well, the title is self-explanatory. But the thread is not about puns really. Anything quirky about English language is welcome.

I will start with this:

'GH' in enouGH makes sound of F.
    'O' in wOmen makes short i sound.
    'TI' in naTIon makes 'sh' sound.

Hence GHOTI can be pronounced as FISH.
    Know your limit. If you canít swallow, spit it. i

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by take8easy View Post
    Well, the title is self-explanatory. But the thread is not about puns really. Anything quirky about English language is welcome.

I will start with this:

Thanks for the laugh. I've pondered about the English language with respect to new immigrants trying to get up to speed with conversational English. It must be quite daunting for someone where spoken English language was a rarity.

ĎNo-one is happier to put this birth certificate matter to rest than the Donald and thatís because he can finally get back to focusing on the issues that matter. Like, did we fake the moon landing? What really happened in Roswell? And where are Biggie and Tupac?í

Barack Obama

A dude
    This post just reminds me of the show "I Love Lucy" and one of their most famous bits.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uZV40f0cXF4

Enjoy!!

I will start with this:

Oh, is that why my wife says my goatee smells fishy?

I thought it was from seeing too many SP's. Whew! Glad I didn't confess.

The word "queue". One of the very few words in the English language that has 4 vowels in a row. And yet they are totally wasted! The word would be pronounced exactly the same if you removed all 4 vowels.

JD

Quote Originally Posted by badbadboy View Post
    Thanks for the laugh. I've pondered about the English language with respect to new immigrants trying to get up to speed with conversational English. It must be quite daunting for someone where spoken English language was a rarity.
    Which is why I have HUGE respect for travellers to our city struggling with our language- yet persevering while so many dip-shits just get impatient or critical of their efforts.
    English is a bitch to learn conversationally- yet so much of the world makes English their second (or third...) language- while so many of us just blunder along, expecting others to step up. "Dos cervezas, por favor" Really, is that the best we can do when abroad?
    Sorry- no thread jack intended.

Sort of, I don't pronounce it wimmen, more w uh men.
    SO that would be FUSH

Gentleman Horndog

I will start with this:

Courtesy of George Bernard Shaw, I believe.

Here's a bit of confusion.

T8E lay in bed with Miss Yujin.
    T8E laid the naked Miss Yujin in bed.
    T8E likes to lie with (not to) Miss Yujin in bed and do naughty things. When he was lying in bed yesterday with her, he wasn't being untruthful but playing naughty games.

Lie/Lying, Lay, Lain.
    Lay/Laying, Laid, Laid.
    Lie/Lying, Lied, Lied.
    Last edited by thodisipagal; 04-26-2017 at 11:11 PM.
    I don't believe in god. I only believe in goddesses.

AT HOME in South Surrey, Downtown Vancouver, and In Your Dreams!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Avery View Post
    Courtesy of George Bernard Shaw, I believe.
    You are correct. Shaw was an advocate of simplified language: he didn't use apostrophes either.

Speaking of Shaw: did anyone happen today catch the production of Mrs Warren's Profession here in town recently?

In my life I've learned to speak

- Portuguese
    - French
    - Cantonese

When all is said and done, English is a pretty messed up language. French, Spanish, Italian, etc, are all very similar, all have the same flow, etc. English? It's in it's own league. I can totally get why people learning it as a second language fuck it up so bad.

two more: manoeuverability contains all five vowels; bookkeeper is the only word having three consecutive double consonants.

When I started this thread the idea was to share humour relating to English language. So trying to stay on track, I found this online.

There's no egg in eggplant not ham in hamburger. Neither Apple nor Pine are in Pineapple. Quicksand works slowly. Boxing Rings are Square. A Guineapig is neither from Guinea nor a Pig. If Teacher Taught then why don't Preachers Praught? If Vegetarians eat vegetables then what do Humanitarians eat?

Why do Noses Run and Feet Smell? How come Slim Chance and Fat Chance mean the same? Why a wise man mean different from a wise guy?

The examples are limitless. Having said that, it's just not limited to English. Every language has it's own oddities.

AT HOME in South Surrey, Downtown Vancouver, and In Your Dreams!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky2 View Post
    two more: manoeuverability contains all five vowels; bookkeeper is the only word having three consecutive double consonants.
    Sorry pinky but BOOKKEEPER only has one set of double consonants; OO & EE are vowels! You'll have to redo last night's homework! ;D

Once a new store opened and name of the store was A AND B CO. . When the sign was made, the sign had a bit of a mistake. It was written as A_AND__ B CO. (The spaces were not even.)

So in other words, the spaces between A and AND and AND and B were not even.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast