bars and nightclubs in Edmonton

wolverine

Hard Throbbing Member
Nov 11, 2002
E-Town
As per IceG's request, I have started a new thread on the bars and nightclubs in Edmonton. Let's face it, some of us horndogs like to go to these places to check out the womens, and maybe even pick one up. I have listed the ones I know of, so please add your own missing favorites to the list.

Dante's
Iron Horse
Rum Jungle
Ruby Sky
O'Byrnes
the Druid
Sidetrack
Overtime
Roxy
Manhatten
Globe
Devlin's
Inferno
Gas Pump
Stonehouse
Standard
Joey Tomatoes
New City/Likwid

My opinions:

Dante's
Probably one of the hotter places in town. Upscale. Wide age range. Just started charging a door cover, which has bit other places in the ass. Often lots of hot-looking women.

Iron Horse
Haven't been there in ages. Usually a young crowd. Cover charge.

Rum Jungle
Very nice interior with a Cirque du Soleil theme. Their DJ is too much in love with the sound of his own voice (just shaddup and play the fucking music you fucktard). A young crowd, but many aspiring supermodel types. Cover.

Ruby Sky
Never been there

O'Byrnes
Pretty decent. But like most Old Strathcona bars, very young crowd.

the Druid
Just like O'Byrnes...nice interior, but young crowd

Sidetrack
Good luck trying get in on a long weekend Sunday. Very diverse crowd. Always good music.

Overtime
Wide age range, but well-known as a cougar den. Nice upscale atmosphere.

Roxy
Never been there

Manhatten
Never been there, but I hear that a much-beloved SP works there as a bartender/waitress (not sure if I'm at liberty to say who).

Globe
Never been there, but heard good things about it.

Devlin's
Young university crowd as per rest of Old Strathcona at night, but I like the upscale, martini-sipping atmosphere.

Inferno
Not been, but I do have fond memories of previous incarnations as the Thunderdome and Goose Loonies.

Gas Pump
Good age range, but ugly-to-average looking crowd. Reeks of desperation.

Stonehouse
Never been, but always see a very young crowd lining up outside.

Standard
Looks more upscale than its previous incarnation as Barry T's, but still draws a young crowd. Cute girls though.

Joey Tomatoes
I hear that the bar in this upscale restaurant is a decent place to pick up chicks on a weekend night.

New City/Likwid
Never been there, although someone here once said that it's a punk/alternative bar populated with some hot babes.

Jacesen

Mostly Ghost
Dec 31, 2002
the far east of Etown
Good topic wolverine!

I would add, Earls Tin Palace, much like Joey Tomatoes, but an even better target may be the waitresses/hostessess, and the lovely bartender's.

Was at the Globe a few weeks ago, the girls are hot, and I would say mid 20's or so in age as a whole.

IceG

Top Gun Call Sign: Iceman
Jun 3, 2003
trying to remember my bar star days

allright wolverine, let's see what we can do given your comments in age, i think i am a little younger than you:

Dante's: this is your best bet for babes 25+, there are alot of hotties there, it is crowded, everyone is dressed up, dance floor is too small, but you will usually find some eye candy there. incidentally, Fantasy staff (read 10 babes) had their Christmas party there last year.

Iron horse: this is predominantly a univesity bar with tonnes of 18-24 year old babes there. it is casual to dressed up. lots of stagettes on saturday nites=lots of girls. in the summer, the patio is always packed, every kind of girl from future PHds to just plain dirty girls looking for fun.

Rum Jungle: this is the place for 17-22 year old babes. i have seen many a sp in this place on her "off saturday nite". it is a huge bar with an enormous dance floor. the bonus is there is a stage with 2 functional stripper cages adjacent to the dance floor where THANKFULLY, they only allow women on the stage. this is a meat market and you have university girls and dumb girls, but 80% of them are hot. it gets really busy on sat. and even busier on sunday nites when it is a long weekend. women dress in full "slut/hooch" attire to do battle with each other for attention.

Ruby Sky: formely club malibu bourbon street/Juice: this is a scaled down Rum Jungle where they play more hip hop than dance music. same crowd as Rum Jungle. lots of young guys/punks get in scraps there, so be ready to go if you go.

O'Byrnes: one of my favourites on whyte ave. tiny dance floor, but good solid, pub atmosphere. lots of "dressed casual" 18-25 hotties from university who did not feel like putting on the "do me" gear and going to Iron horse or Rum. o'byrnes is a casual place.

Druid: this is basically identical to O'Byrnes, but downtown. exactly the same atmosphere and crowd. casual.

Sidetrack: this is older crowd because there is always live music and heavier cover charge. women dressed all the way from casual to the nines. 22-40 age bracket for babes. problem is the sad sack musicians go and hit on the hottest chicks in between sets. not my favorite, but i'll go if someone else really wants to go.

Overtime: this is the ultimate "cougar/puma" bar for you older boys. the women dress to the nines and its mostly 27-100 for the babes. sometimes it is an ugly crowd, but go if you want to take down a cougar or if you are a man in your 40's.

Roxy: largest dance music bar right on whyte ave. young crowd 17-24. tonnes of hotties and i have seen many a sp there and had some drinks with them there. it is really spacious and if you can handle 75% dance music, it is cool.

Manhatten: cool thing is the mini statue of liberty in the bar. the interior is alot of nice leather couches. 18-25 age hotties, mostly bad girls, but good 2 go. sometimes it is dead, sometimes really busy. problem was alot of asian gang-bangers used to hang out there. it is pretty nice and i have seen sp's in there getting loaded as well. i won't name names but a sp actually did a guy in the bathroom there one night, but i promised her to keep that on the down low.

Globe: ethnically diverse crowd because of the hip hop. used to be the old Senor Frogs bar. a little rougher crowd and more dirty girls in the 20-25 bracket.

Devlins: decent martini bar just a place to chill in between bar hops.

Inferno is now TONIC: no more heavy metal days like T-dome. tonic is mostly dance music and some top 40. lots of asian girls 18-25 and it is okay.

Gas Pump : this is basically the ugly people from Overtime trying to get some action. also alot of drug dealers and street walkers. you can get laid here, but be careful about the stds here. mostly cougars 35-50.

Stonehouse: young, un-educated, but hot girls 16-20 who work in retail stores and like to get drunk. dance floor is kind of small, but if you want to bang a young one this is the place. you have to dumb yourself down if you want to fit in. casual.

Standard: basically Barry T's reborn with alot nicer decor for the millenium. 17-25 hotties with a mix of bad girls and university girls on the prowl. dress is a notch above casual.

Joey's: the lounge only holds 60 people and i have only eaten there before going elsewhere. more re-known for the hotties that work there. they hire strictly on looks and the cocktailers in the lounge must wear skirts/show cleavage. i have a few friends who worked there.

New City/Likwid lounge: live music, 80% alternative chicks, if you want to do a 17-23 year old with tatoos and piercings, this is the place. sometimes the bands are total shit. this is alternative dress code, so put in your noserings.

Wolverine, i will add:

Ceilli's : there is southside (formerly the Drink) and downtown. basically the same as O'byrnes and druid. sometimes hit and miss. either busy or dead. 18-26 year old babes, all the way from university types to Yuppie chicks.

Wooly Bully's (formely suite 69) on whyte ave: 17-25 university babes, casual, lots of drunk girls, bonus: they play 80's music. i always have a good time there.

Armoury (formerly club malibu university): young 16-20, but dumb and hot babes, the ones who are failing in university and deciding to drown their sorrows by getting hammered and then fvcked. meat market, but some prime rib is on the menu.

Fargos: on whyte ave across from the Stathcona hotel: no dance floor, but lots of drunk girls priming for the Iron horse or Wooly's down the street.

Strathcona Hotel: once a biker bar in the 80's , now home to the hard core drinking 16-20 year old girls who are looking for trouble. again a priming bar so it is busier 7-10 then it is 11-3 a.m.

Nashville's in west ed mall is going to be re-opened by the group that owns Tonic: dance crowd, the bar is huge.

The Joint: WEM: young, gangbanger girlfriends 16-22, lots of fights, but some nice looking dirty girls decked out in full Brittany Spears hooch gear. highly unlikely to find a university degree in any of the girls there, but they look good and they go. have seen many a sp in the house when i have been there.

bar on 108 street/Jasper in the basement, forget the name at the Hotel: lots of sp's hang out there, but so do their wannabe thug sort of boyfriends, so bring alot of backup. i think it is Calliante's but the name escapes me now.

same deal with the bar on jasper/103 street across from Penthouse: lots of sp's hang out there with some borderline criminal types, the bar used to be a black/latino hang out. forget the name, but it has the white balcony. this is a rough bar and not recommended for any 40 year old white dudes. you need to go with your brown, black, or yellow buddies or you might be the next crimestoppers victim.

anyways, there are more, but i have to go back in the archives of my bar star days to dredge out some more.

hope that helps you Wolverine.

IceG

Jun 3, 2003
more bar star memories

oh how can i forget the ultimate dirty girl bar:

the Purple Onion: this is slutty girl homebase. the girls are on the rough side, but if you want action, 17-25 with probably a kid already, this is the place. just make sure you put on a touque for your own health.

for the record, with a name like IceG, i do not frequent cowboy/hillbilly bars, but

Cowboys: there are some hot country girls 17-24. there are alot of hotties in this place. it is kind of how the Iceman learned to 2 step. hey, you do what you gotta do in the name of nice booty.

Esmeraldas: affectionately, Ezzies, has loonie draft (watered down 6 ounce draft on tuesdays), lots of drunk NAIT girls and just plain drunk slutty girls. for you trivia buffs, the infamous tandem of Jewel and Lexi, formerly of Sweet 69, used to work at this bar before they turned pro.

i hated the country music, but nice booty is nice booty.

IceG

Jun 3, 2003
Copyright Warning

The information in this thread is protected by copyright. It is intended solely to help you get laid in the City of Champions. Any reproduction, transmission, or broadcast, of the information in this thread is strictly prohibited without the express permission of Wolverine or IceG.

We assume no liability in the event you are beat up trying to hit on some guy's girlfriend. This offer is not valid in Quebec. We reserve the right to confiscate any phone numbers you should obtain after utilizing our information, subject to a visual inspection of any hottie you hook up with. All sales are final. No refunds, exchanges, or ugly women please.

wolverine

Hard Throbbing Member
Nov 11, 2002
E-Town
I agree with the copyright warning, although we should add a "no sloppy seconds" clause (i.e. I get first dibs). :)

The place across from Penthouse is the Cristal Lounge. As far as I know, it's still the place for the brothas to hang out, so it attracts those hotties who luv the dark meat! :)

And yes, I think I am older than you, Ice. My comment about remembering Goose Loonies from the 1980s confirms that. That's why I have a tendency to avoid bars that (1) makes me the oldest person there, or (2) puts me at a high risk of getting my arse kicked. So there's only a small handful of places for thirtysomethings like me to go to. And unlike other cities, there's not many girls here who want to go out with older, successful guys - many are too busy going after the pickup-truck-driving farmboy rednecks round here (no offense intended towards pickup-truck-driving farmboy rednecks who post here).

Have you been to the Velvet Lounge at Stony Plain and 170 St? What's it like?

IceG

Jun 3, 2003
underage at the Goose

Wvine: i did remember the Goose, but i was like 16 when i wen there and then that guy got stabbed there and there was a drive-by and it kind of deteriorated into gangland. i am guessing you were there in the glory days when Mess, Gretz, Andy, Cocoa all did coke in that back manager's office behind the bar at the northeast corner of the bar.

again, with a name like IceG, it is safe to assume that i do not, nor have i ever owned a pickup truck, but i hear ya on the rednecks. you forgot about the Confederate flag and gun rack in the back window of the trucks. the funny thing is most of these hillbillies have no idea what the Confederate flag means and they only like it from watching Dukes of Hazzard.

Velvet Lounge: i have never personally been there, but i have known a few sp's who told me about "Bikini shows" that they hold there and wet t shirt contests. no idea if the parking lot will be full of monster trucks however.

i may as well add some more while i am here.

Billiard Club: whyte ave, pool tables (obviously), no dance floor, usually a slightly more YUPPIE type university crowd than most whyte ave bars. i met Mike Comrie there one night with his posse. he actually had pretty decent taste in women as he seemed to be there with one particular babe and his buddies. this was last year before he broke his thumb and became Mike the Bum.

Urban Lounge: live music, just down the street from Billiard club. more rocker chicks 18-22. pretty fun, dance floor in front of band stage.

Squires: in the basement below the Billiard club: no dance floor, kind of claustraphobic with a low ceiling, but casual whyte ave chicks, lots of tatoos, 18-22.

wolverine

Hard Throbbing Member
Nov 11, 2002
E-Town
Haven't been to the Billiard Club in years. I have been to The Metro, which is a slightly more upscale pool hall.

I hear that good places to meet single women are gay bars such as The Roost - and no, I'm not talking about meeting the single women who munch carpet. I'm talking about those single women who want to dance and meet people in a non-meat-market environment. I've only been to the Roost once, and that was years ago when a gay friend of mine visited town and I was showing him around - didn't see very many single hetero babes there back then.

Owudoin

PVC/Latex Fan...
Mar 14, 2003
Edmonton
There are lots of great looking single hetero girls at the Roost, and Buddies...but they go there for one reason. To dance and NOT GET HIT ON!!!! I know lot's of chicks who like to hang out there, cause they don't have to worry about some guy hitting on them, they do worry about girls hitting on them.... Hence they seem to go in packs.

wolverine

Hard Throbbing Member
Nov 11, 2002
E-Town
An update: I hear that the Overtime is opening a second location on the southside at Whitemud Crossing. I think it's a rebranded Scruffy Murphy's.

FloridaGuy

Mar 5, 2009
Time to bump this thread. Updates?? Where can a reasonably good looking, 6-figure earning white guy meet some trashy type ladies?

FloridaGuy

Mar 5, 2009
You have something against donair restaurants?
Lol.

No, I can't understand the maritimer accents on the gals who hang out in there, and it just causes problems.

edit. Despite the above comment, I tried the Atlantic Trap last night. On Calgary trail about 4 blocks south of Whyte. Definite meat market, easy open atmosphere to chat up the other patrons. The crowd spans all ages but 30+ seemed to be the norm, but not the best looking crowd out there..

Last edited:

wolverine

Hard Throbbing Member
Nov 11, 2002
E-Town
Holy Christ! This thread is like sooo old that half the places above are closed now! I can't really say what the nightlife is like these days because I hardly even go out to the bars anymore - why waste time and money trying to pickup an average-looking, prick-teasing bar skank when I can spend it on a perfectly good SP?

namssa

May 3, 2007
Between the legs of a HOT SP!!
So, now that the dead has been brought back to life.......we might as well so something decent with it.

Anyone interested in updating the bar scene in Edmonton?

Be interesting for assorted people to know what is going on at the various bars & clubs in the city. There are lots of visitors here looking for various action and a search will bring up this thread. Any takers?

NewSteele

Jun 14, 2006
It's been some time since I've indulged in the bar scene.

Would be interested to find out where things are these days and report back.

FloridaGuy

Mar 5, 2009
You're not a kid anymore. Nightclubs and lounges are for kids under 25.
I know what you're trying to say but perhaps we need to establish some definitions so we are all speaking to a common understanding. I think most dance clubs are for kids under 25, but how do you define night club or lounge? To me the term nightclub has a certain classical connotation, like for grown ups, perhaps with live music - The Yardbird Suite is a nightclub. Or is it a Jazz Club? But the patrons are middle aged. Maybe you mean just "Club". The term Club, to my 40-year old ass, means an under-25 dance bar, but Nightclub is a bit more sophisticated. Or am I off base?

What is Dirty Pretty or Club Malibu? A nightclub or a dance club? Or a College Bar? Or just a Club? What is the Iron Horse or Philthy McNasty's? A nightclub? I wouldn't call it that, its more of a plain old bar. A bar for kids (mostly). What about Cook County Saloon. Its not really a Saloon, but its not a night club either. A Country Bar, I guess. Patrons straddle all ages. How about the Black Dog? Its kind of like a pub but its not. Its not a nightclub, nor is it a lounge. More of a....bar?

And lounges also have a certain connotation to me. Quieter music, more comfortable chairs, easier to converse with other patrons. Better dress code. Kind of a pick up place. What is Suede Lounge? Kind of a dress up place, patrons straddle all ages (and from the last time I was there - all sexes too (not both sexes, all sexes. lol)).

Also in the mix are pubs (where us old guys belong), Roadhouses (no idea what that really means), Sports Bars, Strip Clubs (lol), Taverns, Pool Halls, what else? Anyhow, what are your definitions of nightclub and lounge?

FloridaGuy

Mar 5, 2009
I'm sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about. I need a translator, please.

To me, a nightclub or a lounge is a place where people drink to get wasted and I do not respect people who drink and make stupid decisions when they're drunk (e.g. driving, one-night stand and the woman ends up pregnant). I have absolutely NO respect for people who do those things.

How many sexes (genders) are there? Male and female. Is there a third? Transsexual?
There are different types of bars. If you don't go out a lot then the subtleties of their differences won't be apparent. Most people can go to a bar and just have a couple or a few drinks. Not everyone goes out to get loaded. I agree with you that the idiots who do so are,, well, idiots. You are right that most of the drunken stupidity takes place in the under-25 bars. I think we just have different concepts of what to call those bars.

As for the sexes - yip, Suede Lounge had more than a few trannies in it (or at least cross-dressers) the one time I went there. But I wouldn't call it a gay bar - there were lots of straight couples there. Just had a few,,,,,, others.

wolverine

Hard Throbbing Member
Nov 11, 2002
E-Town
I've been to Suede lounge a few times......there's no Trannies there.
It's actually really nice. I just love love love their atmosphere. Generally though, its a more professional crowd in the 25 - 35 age range. You wouldn't go there to pick up women (not that I do that anyway), but more for a social hangout with friends or dates.
That's another reason why I rarely do bars anymore, there's no longer any bars for the older professional man to hangout and pick up women. Almost all of them cater to kids or troglodytes. There is a new place opening soon that sounds promising - can't remember the name but it will be kitty-corner from the Hotel MacDonald where the TD Bank used to be.

Ashley Madison
Vancouver Escorts