ok so I think it's about time someone explains this to me..

MissMonique_vrz

Jul 12, 2006
www.bijou.rare-companion.com
WARNING. THIS IS A RANT.

IF YOU DO NOT CARE TO HEAR ABOUT ANYONE'S FEEEEEEELINGS RE ANY SPECIFIC ISSUE, Please MOVE ON TO THE NEXT THREAD.

PLEEEEEASE CONSIDER YOURSELVES WARNED (WHOMEVER THIS MAY CONCERN), I REALLY DON'T CARE FOR MORE NEGATIVE ATTITUDE (read: BS) AND I AM NOT TRYING TO START A DEBATE DON'T GO ANYWHERE NEAR THAT HIGH HORSE YOU'RE SO FOND OF....just walk away.

MY QUESTION:
Where are the friendly (BC) Vancouver peeps? Please point me in the right direction and I promise I will be On.My.Way. I don't ask much, really.

I'm not insulting anyone. I'm not pointing fingers or blaming. I am seriously asking for some kind of explanation as to why the ATTITUDE in this city. There MUST be SOMEkind of reason..? Seriously, I want to understand this so I can work around it and get over it because I LOVE this city, just not its F*** attitude.

Please understand that I am not assuming everyone has an attitude (because I know it's far from the truth - I've met some incredible, genuine and very caring ppl that I feel very fortunate to be able to consider as friends). I just think that I, like many others who come here from the east coast (I mean, anything east of manitoba) are under the impression that BC is a waaaayyyy more friendly and easy going place when compared to, for example big cities like toronto or montreal. I even had co-workers who were close friends of mine and were originally from here, comment on it while they lived in Montreal. Basically, they portrayed it like this place was supposed to be an example of friendliness. I, in all honesty, totally bought into it.

Before moving here, I visited friends at least once or twice a year here and every single time, I would return home wishing I could hang out here just a little longer. I mean, how can I not want to? Where can I live downtown (or so close) AND be in such proximity to such natural beauty. You look to one side and you see the city lights and you turn your head and you can see the most beautiful sunset. All I was thinking is.. this is just too awesome. The situation I was in didn't make it possible for me to move here but as soon as I got the opportunity, I jumped on it and drove myself out here.

Yes, it rains a lot but it barely snows and when it does, it's all gone before you get off work.. well, if you go to work at all, that is. None of that -30 degrees and oh, about 30cm+, no 40+ cm of snow on a glorious monday morning when, there is no deciding IF you're going to work or not today, YOU'RE just GOING. You're going cause everyone else is going... after they've spend about an hour (if not more) digging their car out of something that vaguely resembles a parking spot on a street, or at least you seem to remember it looking like that the day before. I'm not saying everything is perfect and rosy, but damn, it sure feels like you get a much smoother ride to begin with....no? :confused:

Vancouver, plllllease explain to me where some of you got this snotty, snobby, attitude. I've never experienced situations like the ones I have here, where ppl actually make it a point to go out of their way to make sure they're jerks about totally random things.. it's like an outlet for their weeks stress, anger and frustration. Where are ppl's manners or even basic respect? It's so foreign to me, sometimes I honestly don't even know how to react! :eek:

All I've got to to add is ppl who actually CHOSE TO, by theirs words, actions or much more subtle (passive aggressive, much?!:rolleyes: ) way affect those around them NEED TO loosen up, smile, drop the attitude, enjoy themselves, enjoy everyone around them EVEN IF THEY DON'T ACTUALLY KNOW THEM (now there's a concept), talk to a stranger, hug a tree (hey! whatever works for you), realize how great this city is and how lucky we are! PLEASE PLEASE, PUUUUUHLLLLEASE OPEN YOUR EYES and just imagine.... just imagine HOW MUCH FUN and how incredibly ALIVE THIS CITY WOULD BE??? Are you kidding me??

*sigh* Thanks for reading (those of you who still are), I apologize if it is a little over the top and a little (well, probably overly :eek: ) emotional and probably impulsive to post.. But it's been such a source of frustration and I just don't understand, it seems soooo unecessary and pretty much a waste of time and energy spent on.. nothing.. It's just been a long time coming and I'm tired of keeping my mouth shut (No comment about that one, I'm well aware I just walked right into it)...

Is there an explanation, a reason? Am I just supposed to accept that this is how it is here and get over it..? I hope not.... :(

aznboi9

Don't mind me...
May 3, 2005
Here Be Monsters
FuZzYknUckLeS said:
I blame the real estate prices.
LMAO, nice answer.

Was there something specific that sparked this Monique? I find it hard to believe that people could be rude to a beautiful girl like yourself.

Come out to the Valley, we'll be nice to ya! ;)

MissMonique_vrz

Jul 12, 2006
aznboi9 said:
LMAO, nice answer.
Have to agree, I couldn't help but laugh... thanks ;)

aznboi9 said:
Was there something specific that sparked this Monique? I find it hard to believe that people could be rude to a beautiful girl like yourself.
Something did spark this, but it isn't even anywhere near a major incident. But I think that's what pisses me off most. Like I said, just seems unecessary.If someone got actually mad at me for having done something, I almost feel like I could deal with them being rude because somehow I could explain it, even if I didn't agree. But I just keep getting attitude and over things that are so useless, it makes no sense to me whatsoever why a person would actually waste energy on giving someone else a hard time..just because. I can admit that it's just up to me to walk away and not have it affect me but it seems to get the best of me..

aznboi9 said:
Come out to the Valley, we'll be nice to ya! ;)
The valley? Where's that?...............Just kidding! :p

Thanks for humoring me... I appreciate the thoughtfullness..but you see, this is what i mean when i say i don't understand why ppl would waste energy on making others around them feel bad for no reason when it's just as easy to affect ppl in a more positive way..

CJ Tylers

Retired Sr. Member
Jan 3, 2003
North Vancouver
huh... I keep asking myself... where are all the nice Vancouver ladies :D

Try the libraries... that's where I've started hanging out more ;) Never mind the snotty people who hang out at the bars and night clubs... all they are about is putting out a certain image...and being friendly ISN'T part of that image.

smackyo

pimp supreme
May 18, 2005
your mom says hi.
totally hear what you are saying. i'm an eastern boy myself and i had the same perceptions of this city about it being a model for kindness and how to treat eachother. i believe at one time it was like that, but not anymore. i will say though that i have met some great people out here though. people that are true friends.

funny thing is though that rarely are any of them from vancouver, lol. people i work with or other people that are from other countries or people that come here to visit, they often echo this sentiment, that "canadians are not a warm people." i then ask them if they have been anywhere else other then vancouver? when they tell me "no". i let them know that vancouver is a very poor model on which to base the canadian people, which kinda sucks seeing as how it is the base of canadian tourism.

no offense native vancouverites, cause i know there are lots of you decent people out there but really the attitude of this city really is getting quite pretenscious (spelling?). i think they've been told to many times about how beautiful this city is like they had something to do with it and it is really going to their heads.

when i first moved out here i worked in retail and let me tell you, the fucking head cases in this city is incredible.

totravel

May 21, 2004
MissMonique_vrz said:
MY QUESTION:
Where are the friendly (BC) Vancouver peeps? Please point me in the right direction and I promise I will be On.My.Way. I don't ask much, really.
Vancouver, plllllease explain to me where some of you got this snotty, snobby, attitude. I've never experienced situations like the ones I have here, where ppl actually make it a point to go out of their way to make sure they're jerks about totally random things.. it's like an outlet for their weeks stress, anger and frustration. Where are ppl's manners or even basic respect? It's so foreign to me, sometimes I honestly don't even know how to react! :eek:

(
You probably won't want to pick up any copy of the West Ender, the paper that makes the boorish, petty, and full-of-themselves into a celebrity.
My favorite was a few years ago, when someone was complaining about bubbles blowing around on Robson Street, that they felt they shouldn't have to tolerate.
As to why the Vancouver attitude, it might be because so few are actually Vancouver born, almost everyone is from somewhere else (myself included).
This makes any sense of friendly community difficult to develop. The East Coast is the complete opposite of this, with hardly any inflow of population.

Cosmo

Riddle's unwrapped enigma
Jul 30, 2003
Too many ways to go with this... what sparked the rant?

daddywarbucks

May 16, 2002
seattle
What happen to Vancouver????

Was in Vancouver last month with the SO. Had not been there with her in about 10 years. I have been up about three times a year but only to a hotel by the airport to meet one of your fine ladies.

We were dismayed by the change in the city. We stayed at the Pacific Pallisades Hotel on Robson Street. Had a drink at their sidewalk bar, and were bugged the entire time by pan handlers. The streets were dirty, the windows were dirty, and people were not well dressed. Visited art galleries on Granville and had to dodge the drunks and panhandlers to get through the dirty glass door to get in.

DWB

janus

Aug 3, 2005
Ah, Look At All The Lonely People

This morning on CBC radio they played the old Beatle song and I couldn't help but say how appropriate this song is to the times we live in here. Yes, I agree with where this tread is going. Some of my observations-being a film city you will have those who see appearances as being everything-lack of "soul" in the city-due to everything having to be bright, shiny, new and treandy and expensive. Lack of community-I'm very lucky living where I do near Commercial Dr which has a wonderful sense of community and acceptance of various lifestyles and people. But even of Commercial there is this weird attitude particularily amongst the young. From a guy's POV lack of female companion-although many of my female friends have commented that they find me attractive, witty etc. I have only had two GF in the ten years I have lived here and a whole lot of heartache. I put it down to the fact that many people including both female and male come here excaping their past-relationships, family etc and the fear of closeness still prevails. Maybe all this beauty is a two edge sword-distraction from our inner anxieties and dealing with our "issues". Don't know the answer-however I will say that I have never meet a better assorted lot of close friends than here. People from all walks of life and ages who have made my life here tolerable and guess what? Most of them are single and lonely as well. I guess it's just the world we live in. For what's it's worth. Thanks M. for starting this important tread.

MissMonique_vrz

Jul 12, 2006
totravel said:
My favorite was a few years ago, when someone was complaining about bubbles blowing around on Robson Street, that they felt they shouldn't have to tolerate.
Kinda reminds me of this lady I overheard talking the to ice cream truck/vendor.. At first I thought she was kidding but she kept a very straight face and demanded he stop playing the song because it was disturbing HER. I thought OMG, this has the be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard, you've got to be kidding me! OK, I guess maaaybe it can be kind of annoying but what's a couple minutes in your day when really, it's meant for kids. Someone obviously forgot to tell her the wolrd doesn't actually resolve around her and her needs.

The stupid incident that sparked my reaction yesterday is pretty minor, it's just been happening to me a lot and even more this past week for some reason. I guess the accumulation is why I reacted to it as strngly as I did.

Basically I was out with some friends and had diner and drinks. Decided to buy a bottle of wine to take home with us and was told to go pick it up at the bar. As I'm waiting at the bar for the bartender to come see me, this guy who was standing around playing darts tries to reach over and grab his drink or make just make sure it was still there, I dunno. I didn't mind, gave him a smile but then he feels the need to tell me that my friend and I are standing where he and his friend's are/were sitting (also playing darts and NOT anywhere near us). Okay, no problem, I think. He's just making sure I know and don't *steal* his precious spot at the bar, fine..

I let him know (in a playful way) that we were just waiting to buy a bottle then we'll be out of your way. He then says No, please move and go to the end of the bar, these are our seats. Now I mean, totally straight face, rude tone and really serious about it. Again, my first thought is this guy'd joking (cause that's something I'd probably say, then start laughing and say Take Your Time, it's Friday Night and I'm in No Rush, but That's Just Me, I guess ;) ....but no, he's Totally serious about it. I look over at my friend and he's got the same look as I do on his face. I wasn't about to start wasting my time arguing with this winner, so I made a comment like, wow! thanks for being so kind (obviously sarcastically) and w.a.l.k.e.d a.w.a.y before I no longer could control the urge to say what was really on my mind!

Hmm ok, maybe I could have understood his request (NOT the way he said it) IF he and his friend actually had the intention of using the seat/spot at the bar right-on-the-spot. but they had no such intention and just kept on playing darts a few meters away. Now in my world, that's just being an ass for no reason. That's going out of your way to be a dick when there is no real reason.

Maybe I'm a bit sensitive and yes, perhaps I'm sweating the small stuff, but it is a type of situation I've experienced quite often here and I've had other ppl say to me: Get used to it, this how it is Vancouver. Is it really? I think that's ridiculous because they're NO WAY everyone acts like this, with a total lack of any kind of social skill or consideration for others, so why should it just be acceptable? I don't think it's acceptable and I think the more you let ppl behave that way, the more ppl think it's okay to do so... then you're in trouble.. or not in Canada anymore.:confused:

LonelyGhost

Telefunkin
Apr 26, 2004
MissMonique_vrz said:
Maybe I'm a bit sensitive and yes, perhaps I'm sweating the small stuff, but it is a type of situation I've experienced quite often here and I've had other ppl say to me: Get used to it, this how it is Vancouver. Is it really? I think that's ridiculous because they're NO WAY everyone acts like this, with a total lack of any kind of social skill or consideration for others, so why should it just be acceptable? I don't think it's acceptable and I think the more you let ppl behave that way, the more ppl think it's okay to do so... then you're in trouble.. or not in Canada anymore.:confused:
it is ironic because its true: but most of the people with that 'attitude'
have moved here from other places ... and maybe its just a characteristic
of people who migrate (for whatever reason) or its their expectation of what
this province should have been like and isn't/wasn't ...

and many people who have lived here for a long time are feeling over-whelmed
by the sudden and growing influx and it causes stress and hostility ... and
that can be expressed by an over-developed sense of territoriality.

the neighbourhood that I live in is ALL in-migrants (many from Alberta) and
I am the only one who actually grew up in this town! and yet they all
bring in THEIR way of doing things and then complain when the people
who do live here complain about it!

there is a very big 'clash of cultures' on the west coast and it is only
going to get worse as time goes on ... and i don't think it is just the
'natives' who have the attitude problem, because a lot of recent in-migrants
act like 'what was good in Alberta is great in BC' and its not!

a lot of people who come out West are expecting peace and quiet and
'laid-back' people and are then surprised when they find half of Alberta
already parked here and all the problems they sought to escape are now
their bloody neighbours again!

smackyo

pimp supreme
May 18, 2005
your mom says hi.
MissMonique_vrz said:
Kinda reminds me of this lady I overheard talking the to ice cream truck/vendor.. At first I thought she was kidding but she kept a very straight face and demanded he stop playing the song because it was disturbing HER. I thought OMG, this has the be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard, you've got to be kidding me! OK, I guess maaaybe it can be kind of annoying but what's a couple minutes in your day when really, it's meant for kids. Someone obviously forgot to tell her the wolrd doesn't actually resolve around her and her needs.

The stupid incident that sparked my reaction yesterday is pretty minor, it's just been happening to me a lot and even more this past week for some reason. I guess the accumulation is why I reacted to it as strngly as I did.

Basically I was out with some friends and had diner and drinks. Decided to buy a bottle of wine to take home with us and was told to go pick it up at the bar. As I'm waiting at the bar for the bartender to come see me, this guy who was standing around playing darts tries to reach over and grab his drink or make just make sure it was still there, I dunno. I didn't mind, gave him a smile but then he feels the need to tell me that my friend and I are standing where he and his friend's are/were sitting (also playing darts and NOT anywhere near us). Okay, no problem, I think. He's just making sure I know and don't *steal* his precious spot at the bar, fine..

I let him know (in a playful way) that we were just waiting to buy a bottle then we'll be out of your way. He then says No, please move and go to the end of the bar, these are our seats. Now I mean, totally straight face, rude tone and really serious about it. Again, my first thought is this guy'd joking (cause that's something I'd probably say, then start laughing and say Take Your Time, it's Friday Night and I'm in No Rush, but That's Just Me, I guess ;) ....but no, he's Totally serious about it. I look over at my friend and he's got the same look as I do on his face. I wasn't about to start wasting my time arguing with this winner, so I made a comment like, wow! thanks for being so kind (obviously sarcastically) and w.a.l.k.e.d a.w.a.y before I no longer could control the urge to say what was really on my mind!

Hmm ok, maybe I could have understood his request (NOT the way he said it) IF he and his friend actually had the intention of using the seat/spot at the bar right-on-the-spot. but they had no such intention and just kept on playing darts a few meters away. Now in my world, that's just being an ass for no reason. That's going out of your way to be a dick when there is no real reason.

totally agree. i actively call people on bullshit social behaviour. the more you let them get away with it or think its the norm the more they will do it.

SFMIKE

Jul 3, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Spend just a few days in my neighborhood and you will find out how great the people in Vancouver really are.

Either I have been going to all the right places, or you, all the wrong places. IMHO

Bartdude

Jul 5, 2006
Calgary
Hey folks,

If you want to see a truly affluent, arrogant, selfish, narrow-thinking, heartless city, come out to the land of black gold. It's getting more obscene by the week - especially in the new centre of the universe. :rolleyes:

smackyo

pimp supreme
May 18, 2005
your mom says hi.
daddywarbucks said:
Was in Vancouver last month with the SO. Had not been there with her in about 10 years. I have been up about three times a year but only to a hotel by the airport to meet one of your fine ladies.

We were dismayed by the change in the city. We stayed at the Pacific Pallisades Hotel on Robson Street. Had a drink at their sidewalk bar, and were bugged the entire time by pan handlers. The streets were dirty, the windows were dirty, and people were not well dressed. Visited art galleries on Granville and had to dodge the drunks and panhandlers to get through the dirty glass door to get in.

DWB
dude i've been living here for ten years now and i don't think its quite as bad as you say it is.

hitrack

I'LL KILL YA ALL!!
Feb 25, 2003
Surrey
I will agree about the pan handlers. Every fukkin where ya go....got any change....got any change??

Fukk NO!!!

It's like the bum that checks the same garbage can for empties 2 min after the first. Maybe I'll give the first one of the day my spare few cents, but after that the rest of ya are SOL.

lovinithard

May 28, 2006
between her legs
Well what did ya expect? Ever since Expo, Vancouver has been trying to be world class, whatever the fuck that means. Well hurray, we've arrived! We're definitely world class now.

We're world class with world class real estate prices, world class crowding, world class pollution, world class pretentiousness that comes off as arrogant attitude, etc etc. You get my point.

The only people enjoying the New World Class Vancouver are the real estate agents. Vancouver ain't the village in the rainforest no more. And that's a pity.

As the old saw goes: Be careful what you ask for....

SInCity67

Jun 13, 2006
FuZzYknUckLeS said:
I blame the real estate prices.

The prices for everything is inflated:mad: :mad: :mad: Ever go to the grocey store. i spend around $50 to $70 a week for just breakfest and lunch. And all i buy is healthy food. :rolleyes:

Ashley Madison
Vancouver Escorts